So how many of you are actually FROM Royston Vasey?

Post here with all your LoG related questions and comments!

Moderators: Papa's new wife, MrsBeasley, Voodoo Lady, Tracy

Glossop

So how many of you are actually FROM Royston Vasey?

Post by Glossop » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:46 pm

Well, ok, Hadfield....Tis a very strange place to grow up I tells ya!!

BUT, loads of my school friends were extras in the first series. When Herr Lipp was first in it in Series 2 his favourite pupil was a blonde lad called Dieter (remember he fell on his lap on the coach?) Well he was in my year at school - Paul Dunleavy.

Tracy
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Tracy » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:29 am

I'm not from Hadfield/RV *cries*, but will be visiting soon (as are quite a few of us - though I'm sure you know that already).

Any chance of one of the pubs giving us some special drink-related-offers for the night/weekend? :wink:

Personally, I never 'got' why Wolf fancied Dieter... I always thought he was 'a little unattractive', IMO :oops: :(

Anywayyy... hope you like it here; don't forget to introduce yourself in a bit more detail in the Newbies thread (VL posted you a link), and like VL said, taking a few mins to read the guidelines for the forum (of which there are few :wink: ) would keep the Mods very happy people.

Have fun here, local person! :D
ImageImageImage

Glossop

Post by Glossop » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:08 am

Tracy wrote:I'm not from Hadfield/RV *cries*, but will be visiting soon (as are quite a few of us - though I'm sure you know that already).
Lol. I wonder if it was you guys who photographed my mum last year...she was in her car and thought she spotted my cousin and started waving maniacally. Then she realised that the League of Gentlemen fan club were all taking pictures of her...probably thought she was a nutty local (which is in fact true!).

Haha thanks for the warm welcome! And I certainly will post in the newbies thread..

and, well, as I don't actually live there any more I won't be able to get you any cheap drinks, but i'll have a word with my dear cousin who's always in the pubs..lol

Glossop

Post by Glossop » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:25 pm

To be honest its mad to me how you're all going to visit Hadfield. I mean Hadfield!!!!!! Before lofg nobody ever visited because it's such a crappy little town. It really was 'local', like if you saw a face you didn't recognise it was the talk of the town for days...seriously!

I Can I Can't
Local Shop Owner!

Post by I Can I Can't » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:34 pm

Glossop wrote:To be honest its mad to me how you're all going to visit Hadfield. I mean Hadfield!!!!!! Before lofg nobody ever visited because it's such a crappy little town. It really was 'local', like if you saw a face you didn't recognise it was the talk of the town for days...seriously!
I used to visit Hadfield all the time when I was a child - I lived in Glossop till I was 9 and I have very fond memories of sledging down Hadfield park hill :)

Hello by the way, just registered (mainly to post that comment).

Mrs_Briss

Post by Mrs_Briss » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:02 pm

I live about 20 mins away from Hadfield, i've driven through it but couldn't stop as we were on the way to Manchester Airport! MUST go one day though, if only to crawl along the ground touching where the gents walked! xxx

Pelinor
Distant Relative

Post by Pelinor » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:44 am

I want to visit Hadfield! Hope to soon anyway :D

a1tiptop
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by a1tiptop » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:18 pm

And a major tourism drive has been launched to encourage visitors to England's comedy landmarks.

The Comedy of England people are promoting various Film and TV locations. They've got a bit on the League:

http://www.comedyengland.com/?q=content ... -gentlemen

As always, they've used Jason's website as the link though rather than thisisalocalshop.com. I wonder if it'll bring in many visitors? They used to run bus tours and walking tours back in the day, but I imagine they don't do that any more?
And I'll stay here till the trail's cold and return again with my meaty gold
You want it! You can't get enough of Hilary Briss and his special stuff...

Dafyd
Outsider

Re: So how many of you are actually FROM Royston Vasey?

Post by Dafyd » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:41 pm

I'm not from there, but I went to Tameside College and there were many Hadfieldians there. Most didn't bother about the LoG connection though. I swear though... before I went to college I had just watched LoG on DVD from start to finish in one big sitting. I'd seen it before but it didn't make much sense to me. I came away from that in love with the show.
Then a month later I started at the above college. On the first day I met a girl and we got talking. Some time later we got talking about the LoG and she told me how she went to school in Glossop (the neighbouring village). The day she took me to see Hadfield I just couldn't stop smiling! Even changed my phones ringtone to the LoG theme, but we just had time to walk down the highstreet and through some alleys (not bummers alley, sadly!).

It's not a far walk from where I live. It really is just over the hill, but it would take longer by car since there are no real roads on the moors.
You can see the moors surrounding Hadfield from the top of the road where I live. When I was young I used to wonder what lied on that distant hill... now I know! :D

miss denton
Local Shop Owner!

Post by miss denton » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:29 pm

I'm not sure if this is the right thread. Sorry if it's not.

I am off to Hadfield this weekend. Can anyone tell me any locations i should see while i am there please?

miss denton
Local Shop Owner!

Post by miss denton » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:58 pm

Thank you. I will take photo's :)

BabaLazarou
Outsider

Post by BabaLazarou » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:19 pm

I live in Saddleworth, which really isn't at all that far from Hadfield. I visited a couple of weeks ago to get a picture of the war memorial. Most of the shops were vacant & it was very quiet, however I expected this as it has been nearly 10 years since LOFG was filmed (plus it was a Sunday).

Royston Vasey typifies most little northern villages, I think.
You can trade your gloom
For a rubber room
And injections twice a day!

ratgirl
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by ratgirl » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:38 pm

I heard the Mason's Arms has closed down. And Les' front door has gone! I'm not surprised it looks very different. It's still sad to hear though!
"I've been in love with the morbid, ebony-black grotesqueness of the 19th century since I was knee-high to a funeral mute."

Son of Tubbs returns!
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Son of Tubbs returns! » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:39 pm

ratgirl wrote:I heard the Mason's Arms has closed down.
Not surprised if the unwarm welcome we got was anything to go by!