Right on the Mark

Post here with all your LoG related questions and comments!

Moderators: Papa's new wife, MrsBeasley, Voodoo Lady, Tracy

Re: Right on the Mark

Postby Voodoo Lady » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:32 pm

Ooooo! I just found out that one of our clients, whom I have never met and who will be at Comic-Con with us this weekend, worked with Mark on Nebulous! Two degrees of separation from a Gent! Eeeeeeep!!!

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Location: The Hogwarts Kitchen, helping Hermione make S.P.E.W badges

Postby RSfan4ever » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:19 pm

Did anyone hear Mark's interview about "Sherlock" yesterday afternoon? It was very lovely!
You can find the podcast of it on the 5live website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/dailybacon
It's name is "Sherlock Holmes, 21Jul10".
RSfan4ever
Outsider

Postby Beast » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:26 pm

Nice interview about Sherlock here: http://www.whatsontv.co.uk/drama/tv-new ... rlock/9875

When he's talking about Sherlock I can't help but be reminded of The Doctor. I guess they are similar in some ways.

Not seen Sherlock yet. I'll try but I never seem to have the time! Hopefully it'll be up for ages and I might get the chance.
I've got M.E. I'm really tired!!
Beast
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Beast » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:39 pm

Also, there will be more apparently: http://www.whatsontv.co.uk/drama/tv-new ... -more/9926

(Too late to edit previous post.)
I've got M.E. I'm really tired!!
Beast
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Papa's new wife » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:06 pm

Overall I like Sherlock a lot.
I was very apprehensive about the 'modern day' setting but it worked very well and didn't jar, I liked how Google was used (after all, it is my best friend when investigating).
Sherlock: Bit too much sometimes but overall very positive. He had the aloofness down to a tee and you really believed him.
Watson: Very impressed by Martin Freeman in the first episode, I believed his background. This slipped somewhat in the 2nd and 3rd episodes where I found myself wondering if I believed he'd ever served in the army, they could have done with trying to bring that out of him.

1st episode was my favourite by far, really dragged me into it and apart from Sherlock thinking he was The Doctor for a few moments I loved it.
The 2nd episode left me bored sadly then you'll find many many TV series always seem to suffer from 'poor 2nd episode syndrome'.
The 3rd picked it up again until the end and Moriarty. Oh dear God he was SO cliched I found myself rolling my eyes. Anyone could have played him like that, there was no need to be so dull and obvious. If he'd have toned it down or tried another approach I may have cheered but ... nah.

I am really looking forward to a new series, hopefully we'll get more of Watson's background and some toning down of amplified characterisation.
"You got me confused with the other Angel. You know, the one in the dirty trenchcoat. The one who's in love with you"

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby SailorEarth » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:06 am

I really enjoyed this series, even though I was wary of a modern day version of it to begin with as well. But it works, and I like the chemistry between Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman; they fit their roles really quite well and they’re both likeable and easy to watch.

A lot of people have said that they didn’t like the way Moriarty was portrayed. I’ve never read the original stories or seen other portrayals of him though so I have no comparison. I thought he was a little bit over the top, though, but overall I didn’t mind him. I was more interested by the fact that I recognised the actor from somewhere else but couldn’t quite put my finger on it until I could find out who he actually was to look him up on IMDB :P

But yeah… I’m really glad there’s going to be another series of this. I love my British mystery type shows and Mark’s involvement in all of this just makes it even better in my eyes (oh, and he’s great as Mycroft, it just adds to the appeal of everything for me ;) )
SailorEarth
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby ratgirl » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:50 pm

Moriarty never actually appears in the Holmes stories, he's just talked about (ie Watson never meets him), though there is a Paget illustration where he looks a bit like Mr Burns in the Simpsons. :D He's more an idea really, a criminal mastermind protected at the centre of his web, that Holmes is so desperate to take down that he would die to do so. This incarnation was just incredibly irritating. Maybe he was actually just a front, and the real Moriarty hasn't actually appeared. Can but hope. :P

Overall, I think the writing hasn't quite held up to the acting. Cumberbatch and Freeman were great, and the chemistry between them was really good (I could actually believe the former was Holmes, which doesn't usually happen). However, although there were some good lines in the script, the plots just weren't very good. The last one was probably the best, but it all fell apart at the end a bit. The first episode in particular irritated me because it was so obvious, and then Holmes was going round being all stupid "ooh, who can go everywhere but is never noticed..." He just wasn't clever enough - it doesn't work having stuff the reader can get but Holmes doesn't, he has to be one step ahead of you as well as Watson! Plus there were some really lame bits where they tried to crowbar stuff in. Like replacing the watch with a mobile phone - "oh, it's all scratched where they were drunk trying to plug it in to charge..." rubbish! :roll:

That said, overall I pretty much enjoyed it. I didn't realise till after episode 2 that there were only 3 episodes, though. Why so short? I was expecting to get into it later on, but there wasn't enough of it to really get into!
"I've been in love with the morbid, ebony-black grotesqueness of the 19th century since I was knee-high to a funeral mute."

ratgirl
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Son of Tubbs returns! » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:27 pm

Just got the Sherlock DVD and whilst I have yet to watch I thought I would let you know about the special features. There is a commentary on episodes one and three with Mark with Moffat on episode 1 and Freeman and Cumberbatch on 3, there's a making of feature which is sure to have Mark on and most excitingly the unaired pilot.
Son of Tubbs returns!
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby MrsBeasley » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:29 pm

Oooooh, I might have to purchase that!
"I don't know that I share your view"
MrsBeasley
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Son of Tubbs returns! » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:52 pm

It sounds like Mark heaven Gilie !
Son of Tubbs returns!
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Harleen Quinzel » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:39 pm

Wow :shock:

Harleen Quinzel
Distant Relative

Postby Voodoo Lady » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:31 pm

Oooooooooooh wow! Practically speechless!

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Harleen Quinzel » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:32 pm

Just seen a trailer for "The History of Horror with Mark Gatiss".
Next Monday at 9pm on BBC4.
Looks great :D
Mark talking to famous horror actors and going to the Bates' house and things.
I cant wait.
Mark looks hot too, sexxor beard.
Harleen Quinzel
Distant Relative

Postby ratgirl » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:31 pm

I really enjoyed the History of Horror. Loved the way Mark had to point out at the beginning of every episode that it's just about his own personal favourites. Bless! Some really interesting stuff in it as well. Not many films I hadn't seen, but that was hardly surprising. Never got around to watching the last episode, though, and it's not on iplayer anymore. Bah, I need to get a bit more prompt with this stuff!
"I've been in love with the morbid, ebony-black grotesqueness of the 19th century since I was knee-high to a funeral mute."

ratgirl
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Voodoo Lady » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:47 pm

I wasn't able to watch any of it! :cry: I tried, but the copies I got were all flawed somehow. Booooo! Glad to hear it was good, though, although I didn't really expect any less. :D

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

PreviousNext

Return to Local Gossip