Something Interesting...

Post here with all your LoG related questions and comments!

Moderators: Papa's new wife, MrsBeasley, Voodoo Lady, Tracy

a1tiptop
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by a1tiptop » Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:16 pm

Idle Hands!! That was driving me mad! I was thinking of exactly the same film. yes, it's very like that. But I think IH was itself a homage to Evil Dead 2 wasn't it?

I'm not sure the burned man looks like mucky Ben. Hmmm.
And I'll stay here till the trail's cold and return again with my meaty gold
You want it! You can't get enough of Hilary Briss and his special stuff...

Laura Folds Five
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Laura Folds Five » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:00 pm

That's what I thought of when I saw that picture too. (muddy benjamin)

Bex
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Bex » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:57 pm

Laura Folds Five wrote:That's what I thought of when I saw that picture too. (muddy benjamin)
Glad I wasn't the only one. :D
Image Image

Mr Inglebury\'s neice

Series 3

Post by Mr Inglebury\'s neice » Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:49 am

Now we are getting to the meat and gravy!

I have read most of the comments concerning the problems with series 3. Such interesting mascinations. I didn't realise there were these difficulties. If people would indulge me for a while, I would like to discuss my feelings about series 3.
The first two series were absolute classics - no question. I would say that the third series was experimental - in parts it had a touch of genius. I think the first thing that strikes me about no.3 are the contidictions. The funked up version of the theme tune, was bound to p***some people off. Already I got to thinking, are the gents trying to alienate some of their fanbase?
I think this is where I'm having the difficulties, with the publicity for the film. The gents are trying to reach as wide an audience as possible, yet they seemed to want to alienate people in series 3.
As I have said elsewhere, I found some of the scenes in series 3, too violent. It wasn't pantomime violence, that is at least amusing. This violence was brutal and sadistic.
I have other thoughts on series 3, but I need to take a breather.
Regarding the possibility of a fourth series, I hope there isn't one. I think the gang should do a fawlty Towers number, and leave us wanting more. I used to be a fan of Red Dwarf, another classic cult series. Did anyone see series 8? It was a pile of self indulgent rubbish. No I think the boys should bow out while their still cool and credible

a1tiptop
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by a1tiptop » Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:45 am

I think, in a way, it's not for us to judge what the gents were trying to do or not trying to regarding alienating their fans. That's for them to say. But remember that the fans you're talking about (internet fans?) are a tiny, tiny proportion of the millions who watch the show/buy the DVDs. They probably aren't aiming *anything* they do at the hard-core fans, epecially the film. If they wanted to engage with their internet fan-base, they would have. They've had four years of a thriving internet fan community yet they've never get involved to the extent that, say, the Spaced crew have.

From the commentary, the Gents seemed rather upset/resentful about a lot of things in Series 3. I don't think that it came out the way they wanted it to. But that often happens with brave, experimental comedy, and I don't see it as necesarily a bad thing. You can understand why they would want to go more "mainstream" though, if they feel wounded about Series 3.

Judee Levinson
Mayor of Royston Vasey
Location: Frolicing in the park with Pierre, throwing Flip flops in a haphazard fashion

Post by Judee Levinson » Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:29 am

i think its a shame that the gents want to appeal to a wider audience because it seems that they will be sacrificing the darker elements of the show to make more people like it. wouldnt they rather have a small amount of people love them than a large amount of people liking them??
ImageImage

Stonesy
Local Shop Owner!

Post by Stonesy » Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:39 pm

a1tiptop wrote:Great stuff Stonesy! I really enjoyed reading that. :D

Have you thought about hosting it on a wiki or something so that people can add other annotations? Or do you just want them to post to your forum thread?
Actually I think the best way is for just to let me know if I've missed owt or got something wrong on here, then if I agree I'll add to the one I've got. And if you want to copy it and pass it on I wouldn't mind, although I wouldn't mind being credited.

Idle hands I doubt very much. It went straight to video. Almost every Amicus films has a missing arm story which is much more likely. But the basic plot is definitely from Mad Love the Peter Lorre film.

I'll be addressing the "fans" thing later as well.

spice_world

Post by spice_world » Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:45 pm

Judee Levinson wrote:i think its a shame that the gents want to appeal to a wider audience because it seems that they will be sacrificing the darker elements of the show to make more people like it. wouldnt they rather have a small amount of people love them than a large amount of people liking them??
i agree, i read somewhere that the film (i think an interview) was going to be funny and not dark, whereas i prefer the darker bits like the christmas special.

but then again its just my personal opinion and i'm sure it'll be great. i mean they're the comedy genius' we all love, we really should not be judging them, especially before the film even comes out, they're the experts. :D

Judee Levinson
Mayor of Royston Vasey
Location: Frolicing in the park with Pierre, throwing Flip flops in a haphazard fashion

Post by Judee Levinson » Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:48 pm

thats very true, but i agree, i love the darker aspects of the christmas special and its a shame the film wont have those elements, but you're right, they are comedy geniouses!
ImageImage

a1tiptop
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by a1tiptop » Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:49 pm

I spoke at great length to someone who has seen the film (actually, "interrogated" is probably the word) and she allayed my fears about the film not being dark. She said it IS scary and gruesome and "horrible" in parts. I for one am quite glad about that! I'm pleased they haven't chucked out the darkness to pander to the mainstream comedy audience.

Judee Levinson
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Judee Levinson » Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:53 pm

oh thank god for that! im glad they are keeping the darker elements because it wouldnt really be the league if there wasnt any gruesome factors in it
ImageImage

Tubbs get undressed
Mayor of Royston Vasey
Location: Holding Ross hostage at the Job Centre.. ah sellotape has so many uses

Post by Tubbs get undressed » Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:12 pm

Oh yey! Am happy about that
Is that why i have to wash my face with a potato?

Kind of like a .. David .. Brown.

Stonesy
Local Shop Owner!

Post by Stonesy » Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:10 am

Bex wrote: On the forum part of that page, Stonesy, the first black & white picture at the bottom of the man covered in black goo REALLY looks like Benjamin in episode one, series two, don't we think?
I watched the original Quatermass 2 last night and I think this actually might be a genuine reference. And Mark Gattis and Jeremy Dyson do appear in a documentary on the Quatermass DVD set as well, if you are completists.

Stonesy
Local Shop Owner!

Post by Stonesy » Thu May 05, 2005 9:10 am

For anyone still finding this something interesting, I have now done episode three of the third series. A bit rushed as well like;
http://www.network54.com/Forum/thread?f ... 1113492675

serafina pekkala
Mayor of Royston Vasey
Location: Ne vous inquiétez pas, Madame. Nous ne sommes pas ici pour vous obtenir!

Post by serafina pekkala » Thu May 05, 2005 10:48 am

*applause* - I'm loving the DI Beck picture too - he IS geoff. And the fag hag info ...

Sefi x