Mark Gatiss interview LIVE SHOW SPOILERS! (probably)

Got some hot news on the League that nobody else knows about? Well don't keep it to yourself!!

Moderators: Papa's new wife, MrsBeasley, Voodoo Lady, Tracy

geordielee

Mark Gatiss interview LIVE SHOW SPOILERS! (probably)

Post by geordielee » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:23 am

Hi,
I'm new here and I just thought you'd be interested in this article which appeared in Newcastle's Sunday Sun newspaper on Sunday 6th Nov.

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/0300 ... _page.html

If the link does not work, I have copied and pasted the article below.

Time, Gentlemen please - Nov 6 2005

By Robert Weatherall, The Sunday Sun

Fans of the League of Gentlemen may soon be saying goodbye to the strange town of Royston Vasey.

Mark Gatiss, one of the four men behind the hit BBC comedy and the face of characters including demon butcher Hilary Briss and cursed vet Edmund Chinery, has hinted the comedy troupe will soon leave behind the strange universe they created.

The Darlington man says that after they finish touring the country this year with their latest stage show Royston Vasey could be consigned to history.

Mark and fellow performers Steve Pemberton and Reece Shearsmith are set to hit the region this week with their adult pantomime The League of Gentlemen Are Behind You, and Mark says fans should get ready for a few surprises.

"It has been four years since the last tour ended," he said.

"This show only has a few things from the television. All the other material is new."

Fans who attend any of the shows in Newcastle or Sunderland this week will see Jobcentre worker Pauline putting her marker pens aside to concentrate on being a pantomime dame. Mark said: "Anyone who knows our comedy knows it is very dark, but it transfers well to pantomime.

"We have had a really good laugh writing the show. The whole thing took about three months. If we have a good idea we sort of run with it."

And anyone with a nervous disposition should brace themselves as wife-snatcher Papa Lazarou will also be making an appearance.

Mark said: "It can be strange how people react to the characters. Some people in the audience really are scared of Papa Lazarou.

"The more extreme characters are just straight out of our imaginations.

"People like Papa Lazarou are things from children's nightmares where with softer characters such as the Legz Akimbo group I think we all know people like that."

He was speaking as the team hit the midway point of their 45-date tour, which will see them finish in Sheffield in mid-December.

During the 11 years the League have been working together, Royston Vasey has moved from radio to TV, where there were three series and a Christmas special.

There have also been two live stage tours and a film where the plot revolved around the fact that the writers had become tired of the same old characters and wanted to move on. And art could be about to reflect life, as Mark explained: "We have reached a crossroads.

"We haven't had a real rest for 11 years and after the tour we are going to have a break and I'll go to my Dad's in Darlington for Christmas.

"If we are going to work with each other again we have to think about what it will be and it won't necessarily be Royston Vasey. We have always tried to do something different with each show.

"It would be very easy for us to do a tour that was the same. We have to come up with a new thing.

"We love working together but we are all doing successful things on our own."

Laura Folds Five
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Re: Mark Gatiss interview LIVE SHOW SPOILERS! (probably)

Post by Laura Folds Five » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:07 am

geordielee wrote: "If we are going to work with each other again we have to think about what it will be and it won't necessarily be Royston Vasey. We have always tried to do something different with each show.

"We love working together but we are all doing successful things on our own."
:?
That sounds a bit worrying.
I don't give a poop if they never do Royston Vasey again, but it would be a huge shame if they stopped working together.

Sarah Chinnery
Local Shop Owner!

Post by Sarah Chinnery » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:53 am

That sounds a bit worrying.
I don't give a poop if they never do Royston Vasey again, but it would be a huge shame if they stopped working together.

:cry: :cry: :cry: Agreed!

DevilWalksInTheSand
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by DevilWalksInTheSand » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:14 pm

I don't think they'll stop working together completely.....but they all need to do their own thing.
Image Image

Laura Folds Five
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Laura Folds Five » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:21 pm

Well then, they'd better do both, just like they always have.
:evil:

Tubbs get undressed
Mayor of Royston Vasey
Location: Holding Ross hostage at the Job Centre.. ah sellotape has so many uses

Post by Tubbs get undressed » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:49 pm

I really don't mind if they don't do Royston Vasey.. i'll be sad to see it go.. but i wouldnt mind *runs away*
Is that why i have to wash my face with a potato?

Kind of like a .. David .. Brown.

Papa's Book Of Wives
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Papa's Book Of Wives » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:43 pm

I want them to carry on working together, but have anxiety crap so will probably cry lots if they stopped doing Vasey :cry:

sway x

Can you ride a sheep?

cupid stunt
Local Shop Owner!

Post by cupid stunt » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:54 pm

I am one of the people who, as much as I would love to see more Vasey, think they should leave Vasey as it is (it's a very mixed feeling, isn't it?). But they shouldn't stop working with each other, and must say that the use of 'if' instead of 'when' has me a little worried. They've proved that they're fully capable of working together while doing individual stuff on the side, so I can't see how that would be an issue in the future. Or maybe they just need a break from each other now. Who knows? Only time will tell where they go next...

DevilWalksInTheSand
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by DevilWalksInTheSand » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:57 pm

It'd be interesting if they did do something other than vasey, i'm intrigued as to what will be the next project.
Image Image

Papa's Book Of Wives
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Papa's Book Of Wives » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:01 pm

'4 Men, 1 pair of pants, who's gonna wear em?'

Just thinking up ideas.... :wink:

sway x

Can you ride a sheep?

DevilWalksInTheSand
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by DevilWalksInTheSand » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:04 pm

I like that idea.....they could all try to get into that 1 pair of pants and thus ripping it in the process......hence no pair of pants!!
Image Image

Bex
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Bex » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:04 pm

Oh Soph, you are priceless. :D

I love Vasey, but I'm agreed. They should let it go now. I think they should expand on the historical-type-stuff that Ma-they seem so fond of.
Image Image

Papa's Book Of Wives
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Papa's Book Of Wives » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:19 pm

This just a quiet plea for more Mark in frockcoats? :wink:

Do you think they'll go back to series or continue trying to put together fillums from now on?

sway x

Can you ride a sheep?

Bex
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Bex » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:25 pm

Papa's Book Of Wives wrote:This just a quiet plea for more Mark in frockcoats? :wink:

Er... No.

[sweats]

I... Promise...
Image Image

Pink Bag of Doom
Local Shop Owner!
Location: Lying on the pavement with Phill. FALLEN ON THE FLOOR!!

Post by Pink Bag of Doom » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:37 pm

We believe you :wink:

Ahhh, that interview's got me a bit worried too. I really don't care if they never touch Vasey again, just as long as they continue to work together. They work best as a unit!

But then again, they -have- been working together for many years now. Maybe they need to take a little break from each other to work on their own stuff and then come back together for their next project a few months down the line?
ImageImage
"She's so ugly that when she was born, the hospital put her in an incubator with tinted glass."