Chit Chat II

Heaven forbid, you're bored of chatting about the LoG!! Well it's ok, there's something for you here!

Moderators: Papa's new wife, MrsBeasley, Voodoo Lady, Tracy

Re: Chit Chat II

Postby Voodoo Lady » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:30 pm

Beast wrote:Oh that sounds horrible. Is there no one else you could go to about it at work?

The way it's structured here, there's really no one I could go to within my department. My boss's boss doesn't want to be bothered with personnel issues, and besides she *adores* my boss. My boss is really great at being two-faced and an arse-kisser when she needs to be. My only other option would be to go to HR, who won't talk to me unless I've already talked to my bosses.

Are you with an agency? If you informed them could they go to the top with it? If not, then good wishes for the next few weeks til you get staff back but you really need to get your accomplishments recognised I think. If her boss told her to praise you it would be a smack in the face for her and you would also get recognition.

I'm not with an agency; I'm directly employed by the company I work for. If boss's boss told her to recognize my work, it would only rain more crap down on me out of spite.

Is this job temporary?

It's not meant to be, but unless something changes, I don't know how long I can bear to be here. I'd honestly rather be unemployed and constantly broke. :/

Thanks for your good wishes! It's really helped. =hugs=
"It's an ear hat, John!"

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Location: The Hogwarts Kitchen, helping Hermione make S.P.E.W badges

Postby astrid » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:21 pm

MASSIVE good vibes for you babe. There is nothing worse than feeling so stressed and having the 9-5 wear you down. All I can say is remember it aint worth your worry. Just go in, do what you can do, work to the best of your ability and keep records of ALL the work you are doing. If you get any crap of horse face from above (I have o idea what she looks like but I am deciding she is a horse face). Then, being extra nice and professional, explain that you have worked to the best of your ability and highlight all the work you have done. Being a manager if she feels your performance is not 'good' then she is responsible for helping you achieve what she wants. Check your HR policy babe. Seriously, it aint worth your health (I say this as I have very recently had to have this conversation with mysef). x
ImageImage
astrid
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Papa's new wife » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:54 pm

:(
Why do people have to make it so hard for others at work? We spend so much time at work that a bad atmosphere/environment is a misery.
Of course we can't get on with everyone, that is never going to happen, but we can at least try, at least be civil to one another, not try to ruin someone else's work life because we are heartless bastards because it ends up affecting ourselves. I wish assholes would see this and I want to jump on a plane and kick this bitches head in.

I will happily offer a pray or 5 to Ares and Loki to push her down the stairs or sew her mouth shut or anything to have some peace from her selfish evil ways.

As has been said, it is her responsibility to look after you and help make sure the workplace is working well without bullying/undermining etc...
I never see how HR expect you to go to your boss and tell them you have an issue with their treatment of yourself. I have tried to do it before and it ended with me crying and wanting to run away.

If you have to walk then walk, being poor is better than being sad.
"You got me confused with the other Angel. You know, the one in the dirty trenchcoat. The one who's in love with you"

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby serafina pekkala » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:41 pm

Good vibrations sent to ease all your work issues from Auntie Sefi. I know how it feels. It is exhausting to dela with the anxiety and poor attitudes of other people.
serafina pekkala
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Location: Ne vous inquiétez pas, Madame. Nous ne sommes pas ici pour vous obtenir!

Postby Voodoo Lady » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:31 pm

Thanks you lovely people!

Things are better. Boss has gone all mother hen and now feels like she has to butter me up. Got sent to a work seminar to "relax" (um...yeah), which while fun and wonderful, was still work. I left feeling more in knots stomach-wise than before, which only confirms that I have to get out of there. Thank the gods I have something to jump to if I can only stick it out until the new year. =crosses fingers very hard=

I love you gals (and bloke). Thank you so much for always making this a safe place to have a whinge, get advice, bolster spirits and get back to yay! =squidges=
"It's an ear hat, John!"

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby astrid » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:02 pm

Big hugs right back at cha.
ImageImage
astrid
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Beast » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:58 pm

Well that's not too long to hold on til but til then try your best to adopt an 'I don't care' attitude. Not to your work but to the rubbish other people try to bring on you. Easier said than done, I understand.

We've had our appraisals recently (the office staff) and our line manager said he can't believe how we just get on with it. In his last job he had someone coming to him with issues every week. I can't imagine a workplace like that but I am so glad I have what I have with my colleagues. Although he is basically getting paid to do no managing at all because we just see to ourselves. :P
I've got M.E. I'm really tired!!
Beast
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Voodoo Lady » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:20 pm

Question for y'all: I recently learned that it is an old English(?) tradition to say some variation on "Rabbit, rabbit, rabbit," before you say anything else on the first day of every month. I don't believe I've ever heard of such a thing before, but researching online, it *does* exist around the world. Is this truly a common tradition in your neck of the woods? Do you all pop awake on the first of the month and say, "Rabbit, rabbit, rabbit!" for good luck? Or is it some old tradition that people have heard about, but don't really do anymore? Or thirdly, is it something that's maybe popular enough to turn up in a Google search, but only just?
"It's an ear hat, John!"

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby astrid » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:34 pm

Ain't a scotch thing love.
ImageImage
astrid
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Voodoo Lady » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:45 pm

One country down.... ;)

Bro wondered if the tradition was any inspiration for this bit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nBbgcYdweE

:lol:
"It's an ear hat, John!"

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby astrid » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:03 am

Could be, still makes me laugh. :lol:
ImageImage
astrid
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Papa's new wife » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:08 am

I was told at a slightly different version at my Primary School. Apparently ye olde English people used to say "Hare" last thing before sleep on the last day of the month and then "White Rabbits" as the first thing when they wake up on the first day of a new month.
A thing about saying goodbye to the old month and bringing new luck to the new month.

If I remember I do actually do this :oops:
"You got me confused with the other Angel. You know, the one in the dirty trenchcoat. The one who's in love with you"

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Voodoo Lady » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:58 am

Ooooo, interesting! I think it's sweet (no blushing!). It's odd I've never read or heard or seen a reference to it, for all my obsession with British culture. Then again, perhaps I did, but not having a point of reference for it, forgot all about it. =shrug=

I wonder what the reasoning behind it was, originally. Hmmm....
"It's an ear hat, John!"

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Beast » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:12 pm

Yeah there is something about 'white rabbit' but I'm not 100% sure what it is. Think I saw Stephen Fry do it on Twitter or that could have been 'Pinch punch, first of the month'. I don't think it's a common thing to do anyway but most people will have heard of it. No idea of the origin.
I've got M.E. I'm really tired!!
Beast
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Voodoo Lady » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:15 am

Huh, that's so interesting! Maybe I just haven't been noticing. It's entirely possible. :lol:

So something odd happened to me today, odd enough I feel like sharing it. I was reading a friend's post Facebook and "liked" a comment one of her friends, someone I'd never heard of before, had made. Within minutes at most, This guy had sent me a friend request and a private message asking if I wanted to meet up with him sometime. Who the hell does that?!?! Of course I'm not going out with a complete stranger, particularly one who felt the need to pounce like that.

Even worse, I politely emailed back something neutral, and suddenly he started chatting with me. Wouldn't go away. Asked me out again. Arg! Some would say that's what I get for being nice, but it's not in my nature to be a dick to someone right out of the gate. They have to earn it first. ;)

I asked my friend about him, and he seems harmless, if a little socially different, so I accepted his friend request, said nice to meet him, and then politely told him no thank you, but yowza. It had me properly creeped out for a bit.

Doesn't help that I recently watched this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LVs-Ab_UGY

:shock:
"It's an ear hat, John!"

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat