Chit Chat II

Heaven forbid, you're bored of chatting about the LoG!! Well it's ok, there's something for you here!

Moderators: Papa's new wife, MrsBeasley, Voodoo Lady, Tracy

Re: Chit Chat II

Postby Papa's new wife » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:45 pm

Hope everyone had a great Christmas and whoooooooo have a great New Years Eve!
"You got me confused with the other Angel. You know, the one in the dirty trenchcoat. The one who's in love with you"

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Beast » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:23 pm

Happy New Year everyone!
I've got M.E. I'm really tired!!
Beast
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby astrid » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:24 pm

Happy New Year folks. X
ImageImage
astrid
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Voodoo Lady » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:05 pm

Happy New Year! =hugs=
"It's an ear hat, John!"

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Location: The Hogwarts Kitchen, helping Hermione make S.P.E.W badges

Postby Son of Tubbs returns! » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:23 pm

Happy New Year lovely ladies!
Son of Tubbs returns!
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Papa's new wife » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:31 pm

Happy New Year everyone :D
"You got me confused with the other Angel. You know, the one in the dirty trenchcoat. The one who's in love with you"

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Voodoo Lady » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:25 am

Rather random, not really important, but I had to vent it somewhere, and I can't do that on Facebook.

I swear we had a "books" thread (not the book club one), but I can't find it. Oh well.

I'm reading a book written by the fiance of someone I went to school with who has, inexplicably, become a
Facebook friend. It's good so far, but it's written in the first person, present tense ("I hand her the envelope..."), and that's kind of doing my head in. Am I crazy? I mean, I'm finding that perspective interesting, but at the same time, it's so different that it's distracting. What's perplexing to me is that I've read plenty of first person, past tense books ("I handed her the envelope..."), and every screenplay I've ever read is third person, present tense ("He hands her the envelope..."). So why is first person, present tense so strange? It feels very noir, which I can accept from films, but an entire novel done that way? Even though the writing is good, something in me is balking.

Anyway, like I said, this isn't important. It's just bugging me.

Carry on. lol
"It's an ear hat, John!"

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Son of Tubbs returns! » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:14 am

I read a memoir by someone and whilst really good, they refer to themselves by their name and it's ,matthew said' and not ' I said ' which makes a really strange read.
Son of Tubbs returns!
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Voodoo Lady » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:23 am

That's really weird, too!
"It's an ear hat, John!"

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby serafina pekkala » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:42 pm

First person present reminds me very much like those schlock Noir style stories too or parodies - for good or for bad. Mostly likely because of Sherlock Holmes novels and Jane Eyre. You need to have a very strong character voice or it doesn't work at all. But when it does - it can make the reader feel very involved. Apparently Hunger Games is written in this style. As it is very easy to do wrong, I would only use it sparingly - to describe specific action usually. Inner monologues in this fashion usually end up being really really boring - like listening to a friend talk about themselves for too long.

And authors usually cheat by having a first-person-narrator then switch into flashback. Wuthering Heights is an example of that - using Lockwood describing and then Nelly telling the back story. Or Jane Eyre having things described to her all the time by other characters. It needs to be broken up to get a good pace

I have a terrible tendency to tense shift in writing - without realising it. It is my WORST fault IMO.
serafina pekkala
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Location: Ne vous inquiétez pas, Madame. Nous ne sommes pas ici pour vous obtenir!

Postby Voodoo Lady » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:37 pm

Oh gods, I'm the same way! I'm always going back and fixing wonky tenses. Bleh.

This author is teetering on the edge for me. I don't know if I'm picking at him more because of the RL connection, but while some of it is very good, there are places where a few adverbs would do him a world of good. Also, there's no law against quotation marks, especially if your going to cram dialog into the same paragraph as scene description. Sorry, that's just lazy!

I'm nowhere near finished reading, but my overall conclusion is that he's a good storyteller, but not very good with grammar, and his editor fell down a little on the job. Ho hum, I'll keep plugging away. :/
"It's an ear hat, John!"

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby serafina pekkala » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:28 pm

A fair assessment. Poor grammar really doesn't make me want to read on. And you can have high literacy standards without being pretentious.
serafina pekkala
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Location: Ne vous inquiétez pas, Madame. Nous ne sommes pas ici pour vous obtenir!

Postby astrid » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:57 pm

Grammar can be a total turn off. Even at work, if I am proof reading a communication that needs to go out, I wonder if I go a bit over board. That being said if something requires a second read to follow it properly I would end up just giving up.
As you have said, really the editor should have picked up on these issues.
ImageImage
astrid
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Voodoo Lady » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:18 am

I hear you re: turnoff! I can accept that English is a living, changing language, and therefore some rules are bound to be broken. (Right now, by me, for example. :lol: -->) But when it's multiple rules and for no good reason (i.e., there's no social mandate like current slang), I begin to doubt that the writer really knows what they're doing. I stopped reading, btw. Couldn't take any more. Moved on to Game of Thrones (woot!).

In other news, am I the only one who reads their old NAFFs and occasionally goes, "Huh?" Some of my more recent ones are real head-scratchers, and they weren't that long ago. :lol:
"It's an ear hat, John!"

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby serafina pekkala » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:25 pm

I am reading GoTs at the moment and I am finding it hard to get into, actually. He is clearly a very able writer and lots going on to describe. I just find it a bit ... flat.

My current language gripe is that SOME PEOPLE want to change 'literally' from actual meaning to the stupid person's meaning of 'literally means emphasis because some stupid people think so'. This is funny because Rachel Zoe is A MORON!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obDJrK9p6mI

Literally - pull dresses out our a*ses. They get a dress from inside my own hole. And 'feeling like a cow'. :lol:
serafina pekkala
Mayor of Royston Vasey

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat