Henry and Ally's Video Vault II

Heaven forbid, you're bored of chatting about the LoG!! Well it's ok, there's something for you here!

Moderators: Papa's new wife, MrsBeasley, Voodoo Lady, Tracy

astrid
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Re: Henry and Ally's Video Vault II

Post by astrid » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:48 pm

Katie, yes, yes and more yes. Just been to see The Hobbit and adored it, I won't to watch it again now. Film for a five year old no, what a stupid parent.
Agree the 3D was annoying. Blurry at parts too but for the most I forgot about it. Loved seeing old Bilbo and Frodo again. When watching the premier thingy on tv they were saying that Bilbo isnt as instant of a love as Frodo but i think Martin Freemans delivery makes him. Amazing stuff. All the dwarf characters are brilliant. Husband Thorin was super, super hot. I didn't think I could love him more but turns out I can.

Also the first few minutes of Star Trek were frigging amazing. I can't get enough of Cumberbatch or Armitage right now and got a shot of both at the cinema today. Happy lady.

Go see The Hobbit now people.
ImageImage

Son of Tubbs returns!
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Son of Tubbs returns! » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:40 pm

Went to my friends for a few days over new year and we had a cheesey movie horror day.

Have any of you seen the following as I thought they were quite good. First was Dead Snow (which was a Swedish zombie fest) and was really quite funny, Wake Wood which was the first film Hammer made when the restarted production in 2008. It has Aiden Gillian in which should appeal to you ladies! We did watch loads, but these were only ones of note. I won't give my verdict on The Wicker Tree!

serafina pekkala
Mayor of Royston Vasey
Location: Ne vous inquiétez pas, Madame. Nous ne sommes pas ici pour vous obtenir!

Post by serafina pekkala » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:33 am

astrid wrote:Katie, yes, yes and more yes. Just been to see The Hobbit and adored it, I won't to watch it again now. Film for a five year old no, what a stupid parent.
Agree the 3D was annoying. Blurry at parts too but for the most I forgot about it. Loved seeing old Bilbo and Frodo again. When watching the premier thingy on tv they were saying that Bilbo isnt as instant of a love as Frodo but i think Martin Freemans delivery makes him. Amazing stuff. All the dwarf characters are brilliant. Husband Thorin was super, super hot. I didn't think I could love him more but turns out I can.

Also the first few minutes of Star Trek were frigging amazing. I can't get enough of Cumberbatch or Armitage right now and got a shot of both at the cinema today. Happy lady.

Go see The Hobbit now people.
I did. It was amazing. I haven't enjoyed a film so much in a while. I like also that my sentiments are also in parallel with Bilbos - (like "don't leave the stew" and "that cheese is good cheese"). It was so good that the 3d did not annoy me as much as I anticipated. I'd say more but PNW summed it up.

Thorin was unexpected. All I can say - good call, Astrid. I would have got in there. Although Kili was also a bit fit. Are dwarves supposed to be hot? Peter Jackson's joke as he clearly has dwarf blood and is messing with our expectations.

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Papa's new wife » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:56 am

I don't do New Year's Resolutions anymore, but if I did then one would be to go to the cinema more often.I actually started going more towards the end of last year. I used to go 30+ times a year when I was a teenager and then I got a job in a video shop. I miss film, miss knowing who actors are, miss having watched a directors back catalogue, missed having watched every shitty horror film in the last 20 years.

Last Thursday I took myself to the NFT (or BFI as it also called) to the Premier of 'A Liar's Autobiography'. Its the autobiography of Graham Chapman (cos I adore Python) and it were dead good!
I got a little bit over excited when TERRY JONES!!! came out to introduce it *squees*. One of the event hosts made the audience shout "Bring out the Messiah" 3 times and Mr Jones then shouted "He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy". I clapped very hard :oops: :lol:
So, the film. Graham Chapman actually made an audio recording of his autobiography, so many many very talented animators were given brief sections of this to put to pencil/crayon/ink/paint/clay etc.. and animated his life. It was beautiful. Its the only time 3D has worked for me. As well as Graham Chapman we have the voices of all the other Pythons save Eric Idle. If you are at all a Python fan (unlike the grumpy woman sat next to me who was obviously only there because her date had brought her. She didn't clap once or even smile (don't crack yer face!)) then watch it. And if you've read Pythons by the Pythons then some sections will be familiar!

On Sunday I met up with my Dad in Brighton and we went to the new teeny cinema in the Komedia. It's part of The Duke of York's (which is part of the Picturehouse chain). I'd booked the seats and it seemed like we might have got a sofa. I was right! We had a nice big sofa to share. Ahhhh. Most comfy I have ever been. Lovely.
We saw Django Unchained. I hadn't especially been looking forward to this as I hadn't liked Kill Bill 1&2 AT ALL. I did like Inglorious Bastards (but not Brad Pitt) so was hoping for more like that rather than Kill Bill.
It actually was very good. Nothing will beat Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs for me, and I didn't expect it to.
Christoph Waltz is again wonderful. Samuel L Jackson is utterly amazing and I was also really impressed by Jamie Foxx (not just the size of his willy :shock: ).
Its blood soaked, shocking, sad, nail bitingly tense, beautifully shot, great music (of course) with typical Tarantino dialogue. It is also overlong and the female roles are sadly paper thin, but I didn't expect perfection.
"You got me confused with the other Angel. You know, the one in the dirty trenchcoat. The one who's in love with you"

miss denton
Local Shop Owner!

Post by miss denton » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:35 pm

Papa's new wife wrote:I don't do New Year's Resolutions anymore, but if I did then one would be to go to the cinema more often.I actually started going more towards the end of last year. I used to go 30+ times a year when I was a teenager and then I got a job in a video shop. I miss film, miss knowing who actors are, miss having watched a directors back catalogue, missed having watched every shitty horror film in the last 20 years.

Last Thursday I took myself to the NFT (or BFI as it also called) to the Premier of 'A Liar's Autobiography'. Its the autobiography of Graham Chapman (cos I adore Python) and it were dead good!
I got a little bit over excited when TERRY JONES!!! came out to introduce it *squees*. One of the event hosts made the audience shout "Bring out the Messiah" 3 times and Mr Jones then shouted "He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy". I clapped very hard :oops: :lol:
So, the film. Graham Chapman actually made an audio recording of his autobiography, so many many very talented animators were given brief sections of this to put to pencil/crayon/ink/paint/clay etc.. and animated his life. It was beautiful. Its the only time 3D has worked for me. As well as Graham Chapman we have the voices of all the other Pythons save Eric Idle. If you are at all a Python fan (unlike the grumpy woman sat next to me who was obviously only there because her date had brought her. She didn't clap once or even smile (don't crack yer face!)) then watch it. And if you've read Pythons by the Pythons then some sections will be familiar!

On Sunday I met up with my Dad in Brighton and we went to the new teeny cinema in the Komedia. It's part of The Duke of York's (which is part of the Picturehouse chain). I'd booked the seats and it seemed like we might have got a sofa. I was right! We had a nice big sofa to share. Ahhhh. Most comfy I have ever been. Lovely.
We saw Django Unchained. I hadn't especially been looking forward to this as I hadn't liked Kill Bill 1&2 AT ALL. I did like Inglorious Bastards (but not Brad Pitt) so was hoping for more like that rather than Kill Bill.
It actually was very good. Nothing will beat Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs for me, and I didn't expect it to.
Christoph Waltz is again wonderful. Samuel L Jackson is utterly amazing and I was also really impressed by Jamie Foxx (not just the size of his willy :shock: ).
Its blood soaked, shocking, sad, nail bitingly tense, beautifully shot, great music (of course) with typical Tarantino dialogue. It is also overlong and the female roles are sadly paper thin, but I didn't expect perfection.
They are two of the films i really want to see. I have the 'A Liar's Autobiography' book. Loved it. Glad to hear you enjoyed both films.

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey
Location: The Hogwarts Kitchen, helping Hermione make S.P.E.W badges

Post by Voodoo Lady » Sun May 26, 2013 8:24 pm

Okay, peops! Star Trek thoughts, go!

Me, overall I really enjoyed it, but I confess I was mostly watching for Cumberbatch. I just can't "do" Trek much these days. Got seriously burned out on it in the past, as I'm sure I've said before, but there were some nostalgia moments, for sure.

I have to admit that I saw the ending, just about every single beat of it, coming a mile and a half away. I thought that was silly and disappointing. It wasn't even subtle or clever, and a lot of it felt like JJ was just having a good fanboy wank. In spite of that, some of the performances were wonderful, and there were lots of places where I had a good giggle. I don't think that was meant to include 50% of the ending, but in my case it did. I absolutely howled when Spock screamed "Khhhhaaaaaaaaan!!!!" It was beyond ridiculous, and obvious and...did I say ridiculous already? :lol: And really, who's brilliant idea was it to repeat the end of Wrath of Khan, only flipping Spock and Kirk's parts, anyway? I can see the initial idea being a good one, but they needed to REALLY bury it within it's own story, not just swap the lines up a bit, throw in a few more annoying lens flares, and call it good.

I did really appreciate that the PTB had tried to disguise Khan's identity from the fans by calling him a different Trek villain's name. Too bad people on FB spoiled it immediately after watching. I would have LOVED to have experienced that moment of surprise when the reveal happened.

One moment that sticks out as one I liked was when Khan was crushing Spock's head, so Spock mind-melded with him and made him feel the pain he was inflicting. SO clever! I also liked when Khan said to Kirk, "Are you going to hit me in the face again and again and again and again until your arm weakens?" And of course, fangurl me swooned when Khan said, "I'm better," Kirk or Spock or someone not played by Cumberbatch responded, "At what." Khan: "Everything." =drool=

astrid
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by astrid » Sun May 26, 2013 8:45 pm

My bro totally ruined who his character was before I saw it. :shock: Not cool bro, not cool.

I have somehow ended up putting my ST thoughts in the Cumberbuns thread, soz. I don't disagree with anything you have said, I really enjoyed it in spite of these things. Thankfully the cast are so on point they cover massive big d'oh moments.
ImageImage

miss denton
Local Shop Owner!

Post by miss denton » Sun May 26, 2013 9:58 pm

I finally saw Django Unchained on the airplane going to the US. I really liked it. Like PNW said the female roles were thin on the ground but I really enjoyed it. I loved the soundtrack and Jamie Foxx was very good.

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Voodoo Lady » Sun May 26, 2013 10:00 pm

Oh, I'd probably see it again, although probably not until it's on DVD so I can pause certain bits. ;) It was a good romp, and I had fun with it. I just felt it was lazy in a lot of places. You're right, though, probably a huge part of the fanbase isn't massively into Star Trek, so they may not notice or care. Another huge contingent will just be wetting themselves with glee that they "went there".

Is it SUPER pathetic that I really just want the audio track so I can listen to Cumberbatch's voice over and over again? :oops:

Son of Tubbs returns!
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Son of Tubbs returns! » Mon May 27, 2013 4:11 pm

I've not seen Django Unchained or new Star Trek! There's great holes in my movie viewing of late.Wanted to see Oblivion as well, but I think I've missed that!

Beast
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Beast » Thu May 30, 2013 3:08 pm

Voodoo Lady wrote:I did really appreciate that the PTB had tried to disguise Khan's identity from the fans by calling him a different Trek villain's name. Too bad people on FB spoiled it immediately after watching. I would have LOVED to have experienced that moment of surprise when the reveal happened.

Well my Star Trek experience is limited to Next Generation, Enterprise and a little of the original series so I knew nothing of the plot and so I had no issues with the film at all. I loved it and it was my first experience of 3D and IMAX and I've had to admit that I got a real thrill from it despite my protestations that every film is now 3D and it's all a con to charge people more. I do kind of want to see it again in 2D though. The fact I want to see it again at the cinema and not even wait for tv or even dvd is amazing. I think it's just for Benedict reasons though really. I need to see that performance again and take in every single second.

I just guessed who he was from reading speculation. Think it was pretty much confirmed for me by an article I read the day I saw it but I knew really anyway

"Are you going to hit me in the face again and again and again and again until your arm weakens?" And of course, fangurl me swooned when Khan said, "I'm better," Kirk or Spock or someone not played by Cumberbatch responded, "At what." Khan: "Everything." =drool=
INDEED! The 'hit me' bit turns me on to quite a ridiculous degree. How on earth does someone come up with saying a line like that. He's just a genius. And how does he make his eyes look evil? I am in awe. The 'better at everything' bit was also beyond squee-inducing. :D
I've got M.E. I'm really tired!!

Son of Tubbs returns!
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Son of Tubbs returns! » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:06 pm

Anyone seen Joss Whedon's Much ado about Nothing? What's the verdict? I'm toying with getting it...

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Voodoo Lady » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:17 pm

Buy, buy, buy! It's one of the best performances of Shakespeare I've ever seen, and I love me some o' t'bard.

Son of Tubbs returns!
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Son of Tubbs returns! » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:24 pm

Alexis (clang) told me at the weekend it was wonderful, but then he would! The clip I saw on Amazon looked amazing.

Son of Tubbs returns!
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Son of Tubbs returns! » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:34 pm

Much Ado is ordered and on it's way. :)