True Blood

Heaven forbid, you're bored of chatting about the LoG!! Well it's ok, there's something for you here!

Moderators: Papa's new wife, MrsBeasley, Voodoo Lady, Tracy

Viper
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Re: True Blood

Post by Viper » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:02 pm

Makes me internet angry when people go on about it ripping off Twilight- not only because Sookie came first, but because Twilight is the biggest massivest rip off of tons of vampire stuff that came before it! Most vampire stories are pretty much alike- moody vampire, pretty young thing, angst emo etc.

Twilight is almost identical in many, many ways to LJ Smith's The Vampire Diaries, which I first read at the age of thirteen. Which is also now a TV show, and probably also being accused of ripping off Twilight.
Hello my darling it's me again. Where are you?

It could get funnier if we keep doing it.

http://themightycharlottestein.blogspot.com/

Not Quite Local
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Not Quite Local » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:57 pm

It's funny you should say that, I was watching episode 1 earlier and there was a bit that reminded me so much of Twilight (when she can't read his mind, but can read everyone elses, and in Twilight Bella is the only person whose mind Edward can't read...), but I just assumed that Twilight came second.

I quite liked the show.... Sookie is kind of annoying though. I like the idea behind it but I think they could have made more of it. I will keep watching it, I think.

Beast
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Beast » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:24 pm

I think the stupid looking at each other starry-eyed bits are what remind me of Twilight (although I've only seen the first film.) I really liked last night's ep. Am starting to get into it now. Can't see where it's going though. That lead vamp (Eric?) was hot! :)
I've got M.E. I'm really tired!!

ratgirl
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by ratgirl » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:48 pm

Agree on the Twilight stuff. It gets very infuriating! How far has it got up to on TV now? I've finally finished series 1! Really enjoyed the last few episodes, despite some very silly moments. It's a strange series, really, how it can go from proper drama and good storylines to bits that make you laugh out loud at the ridiculousness! I can only assume it's intentional.

Spoiler:
I mean, "Learn to speak Cajun for actors"?????
"I've been in love with the morbid, ebony-black grotesqueness of the 19th century since I was knee-high to a funeral mute."

Beast
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Beast » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:03 pm

Not that far on Ch 4. Probably under half way through the series. I had forgotten that Sookie's Grandma had been killed at the end of the last ep when I switched on on Wed! Loving it! Not that she's dead cos I liked her but the shock of it. It's a bit like Buffy. Hmm thinking about it now it does remind me of The Body. I don't mind as long as it's good and not outright copying.

I can't really see what she sees in Bill though tbh. Maybe I will as it goes on. There was one moment I thought he was hot. But I prefer the bar owner personally.

serafina pekkala
Mayor of Royston Vasey
Location: Ne vous inquiétez pas, Madame. Nous ne sommes pas ici pour vous obtenir!

Post by serafina pekkala » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:22 pm

I've been catching up - some observations:

- Girl's remark about the Legoland hair made me LOLZ.
- Sookie is dreadfully annoying but this is because she is stupid and Anna Paquin (or Inna Pickwun) does some strange acting. She pulls some truly remarkable faces especially when shreaking or emoting and stretching her neck, Deidre Barlow style. This has hence led me to shout the word MONG at the television when she pulls them.
- She also does look a bit like a boyish Kerry Katona - with the same doughy nose and pokey eyes. Hahah.
- Be-yul and her are boresville snoresville. I also get sick of the goth/vampire/biker look. It's been done to death and seems, to me, a little hokey. My friend from California says a lot of her friends kinda dress like that anyway. Hahaha.
- Jason, Eric, Sam, Lafayette and others are all superb characters and I like seeing them on screen. Tara is a bit too 'angry Black woman' stock character at times. And her accent is dodgy apparently. But most of them are except Sam who is from LA. The Gran is also very stereotypical too. I came in far too late for a hubbie but that's cool. I have enough.
- The Twilights is a fair assumption but Stephenie Meyers did all the ripping off. I'm actually shocked the degree to which she gets away with it. I tried reading the books by Harris - rather basic overall I found. Amateurish even. The show is only good because Alan Ball took it to another level.
- I was also reminded of the X-Files episode with Luke Wilson. One of my favourites.

Good stuff. Will keep on with it!

Beast
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Beast » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:01 pm

I love the accent so much. I would have thought Tara's was good? She is a bit annoyingly angry I suppose. My fave character though is Lafayette. And he has the best name ever!

Not Quite Local
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Not Quite Local » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:18 pm

I love the accents too (especially because 'Sookie' sort of sounds like 'Sucky', and it's about vampires... I find it amusing anyway) :lol: They sound fine to me, although I'm sure they do sound dodgy to people actually from that area.
I don't mind Sookie actually - she annoyed me a bit at first but now I like her. I prefer Tara/Lafayette/Jason though, they're really funny. Not so keen on Sam though (although I want him and Tara to get together properly)

Beast
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Beast » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:36 pm

Cant believe it was the last one last night. Really crept up on me. Although only 12 eps. After last week's I thought the killer was Terry and that the Rene thing would be red herring or about something else. Also can I just say please no not Lafayette!!!! He'd better be ok. Kind of thinking he isn't! :lol: Unless it was misleading on purpose. If not then how could Bill do that?! I would never forgive him for that! Ooh what if he made him a vamp? He'd be one sexy vamp! Ok, I like gay men. But he is sexy isn't he? And cute. Mmm. If they have got rid of them then more fool them cos he is one of the best characters if not the best Great show. Can't wait for new series. 'Next year' does not help me. That could be in 12 months time!

Son of Tubbs returns!
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Son of Tubbs returns! » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:55 pm

Now, I knew this series existed but really hadn't give it a thought, but I was in HMV the other day and series 1 was £15.00. I thought I'd have a punt on it. Now I'm hooked!! Such well realised characters and a great diversity of characters. It's so compelling. I'm now midway through series 2, which whilst good doesn't seem as good as series one to me. Anyway, ploughing my way towards series three, I'm just seriously annoyed I'm so late to the party, but at least I made it!

Son of Tubbs returns!
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Son of Tubbs returns! » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:16 pm

Have any of you read the books? Are they a faithful translation? I would suspect not. I may get one out of the library and give it a go.

Beast
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Beast » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:59 pm

I am only about 4 eps into season 3. I need to catch up but I don't have time! Must make time.

Beast
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Beast » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:00 pm

Can I just say I love Franklyn and his craziness. Also this exchange:

Eric: (looking at Viking crown) It's beautiful
Talbot: (looking at Eric) Quite.

:D

Watched one on Saturday and so need to watch more. But I have Dexter to finish (and start season 5) and I need to send my dvd back so that has to come first unfortunately. Just really fancied some on Saturday. So much to watch, so little time!

Son of Tubbs returns!
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Son of Tubbs returns! » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:41 pm

Right, just finished series 2 the other day, bought series 3 today, give me a couple of weeks and I'll know what you are all talking about! ;)

Beast
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Beast » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:04 pm

I just finished 3 and now I need 4!