I made this!

Heaven forbid, you're bored of chatting about the LoG!! Well it's ok, there's something for you here!

Moderators: Papa's new wife, MrsBeasley, Voodoo Lady, Tracy

astrid
Mayor of Royston Vasey

I made this!

Post by astrid » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:18 pm

Ok doke so here is a new thread for all things crafty and made by you.

She' - following on from what you asked about in the brilliant things thread. I got a pair of these for Christmas. Knitpicks interchangeable needles and I love them so. http://www.knitpicks.com/needles/Interc ... 00312.html
I wanted them as I am beginning to knit more complex projects and these mean I don't have to buy a shed load of circular needles in different length. Plus I'm knitting with the magic loop method a lot so as these have very flexiable cables it makes it really easy.

Learning wise I started with Stitch N Bitch - Knitters Handbook - http://www.knithappens.com/content/view/13/31/. I found it really easy to understand. It's written in a funny and straight forward way, plus anything that I'm not sure of I youtube.

Recently I've been learning cables and knitting hats. I'm hoping to start a cardigan soon which will be my most complicated project to date. I have to admit I am completely addicted.

Here's a couple of my latest knits.
ImageImage

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey
Location: The Hogwarts Kitchen, helping Hermione make S.P.E.W badges

Re: I made this!

Post by Voodoo Lady » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:40 am

Oh wow! Those look really fantastic, Astrid. I'm super impressed. Perhaps I will have to make a more concerted effort to learn more about knitting!

I'll try to post pics of some of the stuff I've done tomorrow. :D

astrid
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by astrid » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:06 pm

Thanks babe! I've basically been learning as I go along. Once I find something I like I learn the techniques for it. I still have so much to get a hang of.
I pretty much use the book I linked to as my guide. Anything pops up that I don't know I go hunting for it there first. The basics my Mum had taught me when I was young so I had a head start I just needed to jog my memory.
Crochet was brand new though but IMO it is far easier to learn; plus way quicker but I know some knitter aren't keen at all. I do love the speed of crochet, I am quite a slow knitter. I crocheted my Mum a jacket cardigan thingy for Christmas (photo of it is on Facebum if you are interested). I wouldn't normally make things for others as a) they make not like it and feel forced to wear it or b) they don't realise how much time effort (and cash) goes into making things. Even if she only wears it around the house I know that she knows the effort I put into it.
Part of the reason I haven't made anything bigger than a shawl before is the cash involved. Decent good yarn costs a fortune, what's the prices like state side? I keep falling in love with stuff that's £8-12 a skein and when you have to buy 12 of them it just isn't a option.

Please post your picks babe, would love to see your stuff.

Ax
ImageImage

ratgirl
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by ratgirl » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:32 pm

Ooh, these look brilliant! I recently bought some knitting needles on a whim (and some lime green wool, for some reason), and they've since just been sitting there while I wonder how to re-learn to knit. So the Stitch and Bitch link will be very useful! What would you suggest is the simplest thing to start off with, other than a scarf? I really REALLY don't want to knit a scarf, which was where I got a bit stuck on where to start...
"I've been in love with the morbid, ebony-black grotesqueness of the 19th century since I was knee-high to a funeral mute."

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Papa's new wife » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:42 pm

My DAD knits :lol:
We were taught how to knit at my Primary School (that's Rudolph Steiner for you) and the best thing I made was a red and white polar bear. The polar bear was pretty easy Sarah, maybe you could try one to start with?
"You got me confused with the other Angel. You know, the one in the dirty trenchcoat. The one who's in love with you"

Son of Tubbs returns!
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Son of Tubbs returns! » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:51 pm

Papa's new wife wrote:My DAD knits :lol:
Really? Is he any good? What's he made?

astrid
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by astrid » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:55 pm

ratgirl wrote:Ooh, these look brilliant! I recently bought some knitting needles on a whim (and some lime green wool, for some reason), and they've since just been sitting there while I wonder how to re-learn to knit. So the Stitch and Bitch link will be very useful! What would you suggest is the simplest thing to start off with, other than a scarf? I really REALLY don't want to knit a scarf, which was where I got a bit stuck on where to start...
Well I went from scarf to a cowl, so I could learn to knit in a round on circular needles. I then went to fingerless mitts as I could knit in a round but then needed to learn how to make a thumb hole. Next was cables so I could make the work look a little bit more interesting. Then on to hats so I could learn to increase and decrease. So I've been trying to learn a new technique with every project.

You can certainly get plenty of free patterns for knitting fingerless mitts or hats flat online on straight needles rather than jumping straight into using circular needles (although you can buy super cheap metal ones for a couple of quid). Learning how to knit cables will make any scarf more interesting to do, they are easy to do and look way more complicated than they are.

Basically I would say pick something you really want or you will get bored. I picked a really basic ribbed scarf for my first project on thinish wool and small needles. It bored the living crap out of me and took months to finish as I started to learn crochet which works up much quicker so was more fun. What would you like to make?

I know you said no to a scarf but there are plenty of Dr Who scarf patterns out there, the changing of colour might make it more interesting. Oh and there are plenty of fandom knits out there to please anyones inner fangirl!
ImageImage

astrid
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by astrid » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:58 pm

Papa's new wife wrote:My DAD knits :lol:
We were taught how to knit at my Primary School (that's Rudolph Steiner for you) and the best thing I made was a red and white polar bear. The polar bear was pretty easy Sarah, maybe you could try one to start with?
That's brilliant!

Crochet is quite good for that too. Lots of toys to make. Looking, crochet Tennent! Tee hee
http://snuffykin.livejournal.com/39857.html
or what about a knitted Dalek? hahaha
http://www.entropyhouse.com/penwiper/wh ... aknit.html
ImageImage

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey
Location: The Hogwarts Kitchen, helping Hermione make S.P.E.W badges

Post by Voodoo Lady » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:17 pm

Katie, I LOVE that your dad knits. I know lots of guys who do, and they're not all gay. It sort of became the fashion here a while back for guys to knit. I guess it was a kind of rebellion against stereotypes, like women wearing trousers back in the thirties.

Astrid, that is so awesome that you pick projects based on new techniques you want to learn! Gods, you're going to be a font of knowledge in a short period of time. I love it.

I grew up crocheting, but for some reason I can never get my tension right, so my work always curls. I switched to knitting out of frustration, and haven't really gone back. My knitting may not be perfect, but at least it lies fecking flat! Grrr....

I think the main problem that I have with learning new stitches (I can't even make heads or tails of purling) is that I'm sort of self-taught, and I knit...backwards...I think. My mom showed me how to do a basic stitch, and I think she was doing it a bit wrong. Then I took it home and made it even wronger. It works, but of course all instructions for new stitches are based on doing it properly, so trying to follow them turns my brain inside out. Someone once told me that I knit "European style", whatever that means, but from the little research I've done, that doesn't seem to be true.

Anyway, all that to say I took a peek at Stitch n Bitch, and I couldn't even make heads or tails of the basic stitch. What was she doing with all that finger work?! And my thumb is hardly ever involved, except to work the kneedles. :cries: Nonetheless, I am determined to learn new stitches. I guess I'll just have to sit down some day and empty my brain of my method of knitting and finally learn to do it properly. Harumph!

Here are pics of a couple of my more creative projects. The first is a bag. It's essentially a scarf, folded up and sewn together with a lining sewn in. All of my work is a series of scarves, since that's all I can do. :lol:

This is the best of the doggie sweaters I've done. It was the first (and so far only) time I attempted to put sleeves and a collar on it. I'm actually pretty proud of this one.

I've also done silly things like wrist cuffs and necktie-like things that button on. And as I've said, I'm currently experimenting with a cape/poncho of my own questionable design. I've already had to restart it about five times, but I seem to be zooming along now. I'll put up photos when I've finished, for better or worse! :lol:

Son of Tubbs returns!
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Son of Tubbs returns! » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:20 pm

Soho's coat is the CUTEST thing I've ever seen! Awwwww!!!

astrid
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by astrid » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:26 pm

Oh my Gods, Soho in his wee coat is the cutest thing EVER!!! How adorable, awww I want to hug the little fella.

I'm thinking perhaps there is Continental style of knitting which is probably what the person meant. English or standard knitting has your working yarn in your right hand, Continental is held in the left.

Knitpicks have a good Youtube channel, they have the basic stitches and even a step by step for mittens and socks etc, very handy- http://www.youtube.com/user/knitpicks?blend=2&ob=1#g/u

I also found this girl, she hasn't uploaded for a while but I found the way she explained things quite easy to follow. http://www.youtube.com/user/elsteffo

Hope this helps a little to figure out what your style is.

Ax
ImageImage

Son of Tubbs returns!
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Son of Tubbs returns! » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:04 pm

Anybody wants it, I can donate my Doctor Who Pattern Book to you! ;)

ratgirl
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by ratgirl » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:28 pm

Aw, I love the doggie coat! I was actually thinking of knitting a coat for Daisy, so maybe I'll just start with that and use it as something basic to learn all sorts of stitches on, since Daisy will never be seen out in it, she can just be happy with what she gets, heh. I have, however, also bookmarked the Dalek knitting pattern page. I love it! Once I get to a stage where I can knit ok again, I'll have a go at stuff like that, I guess. Doesn't matter if it goes wrong first time! That said, I'm now about to get the knitting needles out and relax in front of "Blackpool." Perfect!
"I've been in love with the morbid, ebony-black grotesqueness of the 19th century since I was knee-high to a funeral mute."

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Papa's new wife » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:36 pm

Jeremy tweeted a link to knitting Daleks, a TARDIS and loads of cool things.

http://io9.com/5717724/the-greatest-oth ... s/gallery/
"You got me confused with the other Angel. You know, the one in the dirty trenchcoat. The one who's in love with you"

astrid
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by astrid » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:47 pm

Papa's new wife wrote:Jeremy tweeted a link to knitting Daleks, a TARDIS and loads of cool things.

http://io9.com/5717724/the-greatest-oth ... s/gallery/
hahaha - Brilliant. I've seen a lot of these kicking about and I think I even have downloaded a few of them. If you go into my December photos on Facebum you will see a full body size "Jayne" hat. Mental!

There are so many fandom knits out there I love it. Some are really subtle too.
ImageImage