Dr Who

Heaven forbid, you're bored of chatting about the LoG!! Well it's ok, there's something for you here!

Moderators: Papa's new wife, MrsBeasley, Voodoo Lady, Tracy

Re: Dr Who

Postby ratgirl » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:27 pm

I found it very confusing Clara suddenly re-appearing. I mean, why would she decide she was so upset she was leaving him but then want to go on one last trip? Nonsense! I actually thought the rather ridiculous argument was in order to give Jenna an episode off, so I was a bit confused when she turned up.

Liked the train idea and the concept of The Foretold, but it was a bit like the less-good Buffy endings, where you get a load of tension and then the ending falls a bit flat. So not as good as it could have been, for me.

Still about a billion times better than Robot of Sherwood, though. :P
"I've been in love with the morbid, ebony-black grotesqueness of the 19th century since I was knee-high to a funeral mute."

ratgirl
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Voodoo Lady » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:45 am

I enjoyed Robot of Sherwood, but I'll admit it wasn't the strongest episode. It was ridiculous, and I like that sometimes.

Obviously, I agree with most everything else you said, Sarah.

I also still don't know if I like Capaldi as the Doctor. I like Capaldi. I like his performance. Just not sure if I like him in that part. So very confused.

Also, going back a few weeks, I was really struck with what a mothering roll Clara has sort of taken with him. The episode with the toy soldier, they made something of a deal about the Doctor acting like her dad, but in reality, most of the episode, she acted like his mum. Telling him off here and there, telling him to do as he was told, but when it came down to it, soothing him when he was frightened, telling him not to be afraid of the dark. It was fairly in keeping with the idea of her being the Impossible Girl, the one who has been with him throughout history, watching over and guiding him, and yet that all felt...more in that episode to me. I don't think they intend to take that further, but part of me wishes they would, as it was the strongest concept I've seen all season.

Oh, and sort of randomly, while I actually love that one of Clara's students traveled with the Doctor, where the hell are her parents, and is it a good message to send to children that they should run off at the promise of adventures with strangers who claim to be the Doctor? Isn't he technically a kidnapper?

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Location: The Hogwarts Kitchen, helping Hermione make S.P.E.W badges

Postby ratgirl » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:39 am

Yeah, I know what you mean about Capaldi. Stewart really loves him, but I think that's just because he loves him as an actor. It always takes a while for a new Doctor to settle in, though, so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt at the moment. It even took me a few episodes to like Matt Smith! (sorry Katie)

I had the same thought about the kid too! Had she never been told to say no to strangers?? I'd have thought Clara would have been more angry about the Doctor taking her to the moon than she was. So it seems like they're characterising him as Irresponsible Doctor, which I guess is where Clara's teacher/mother thing comes in...

I was embarrassed for Gatiss all the way through Robot of Sherwood, sorry. Or maybe it was just giving me flashbacks to the Barrowman panto and I was annoyed they missed out the ice-skating... :lol: :lol:
"I've been in love with the morbid, ebony-black grotesqueness of the 19th century since I was knee-high to a funeral mute."

ratgirl
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby miss denton » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:05 pm

I'm loving capaldi. He reminds me a lot of the classic Doctors. My favourite episodes so far have been Listen and mummy on the orient express.

I'm off to a charity Doctor Who event in December where I will be meeting Capaldi. Can't wait.
miss denton
Local Shop Owner!

Postby Papa's new wife » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:41 am

Voodoo Lady wrote:I also still don't know if I like Capaldi as the Doctor. I like Capaldi. I like his performance. Just not sure if I like him in that part. So very confused.

THIS.
I feel bad that I am still hmmmm about him. I am sure a lot of it is that I don't like the style of Who anymore (which I lay at Moffat's feet), but, Capaldi still isn't 'The Doctor' to me yet.
I'm a bit gutted. I had been waiting since the moment Matt sodding Smith was announced for a new Doctor, and now I am not sure?
"You got me confused with the other Angel. You know, the one in the dirty trenchcoat. The one who's in love with you"

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby astrid » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:28 pm

Hahaha Barrowman Panto! Sorry but even comedy skating would not have made me like the episode. Having silly ones are fine but I want feeling it, thinking it wasn't helped by the surrounding episodes and the Doctor/Clara thing all going on.
I honestly can't put my finger on what is wrong but there is something not right. I am hoping a change in companion will help.
ImageImage
astrid
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby astrid » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:30 am

Much preferred tonight's offering. Favourite episode by far. Also, man do I fancy Capaldi. I don't think it is a Doctor thing, I think it's just him. Definitely top of my older man crush list. Possibly because I know he's got a filthy Malcolm Tucker mouth underneath it all..... :lol:
ImageImage
astrid
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Voodoo Lady » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:17 am

Yeah, tonight's episode was really great, but I agree that something is just...off this series. It was the least off it's been tonight, I think, but still off. Still, perhaps that's intentional somehow, to do with Missy, perhaps? Is Clara a droid or under her influence or something? She definitely seems different, and again things are off.

I don't know why, but I hope the Doctor kicks her out next episode. I thought he was going to at the end of this one. The way she's lying to the two people she should never lie to is a big deal, and he's obviously not happy with it. I really wanted him to turn the tables, after her telling him to go very far away, and tell her to take a hike. "You can't be honest with me, if I can't trust you, I can't have you around." I bear her no ill will, mind, so it feels weird to wish this on her. Perhaps it's the drama of it, having tables turned on a character, or perhaps I am also sick of her lying and want something to shock her back into shape. Dunno, but it's a result I'm pulling for."

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby miss denton » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:38 pm

I enjoyed Flatline very much.

Voodoo Lady wrote: Missy, perhaps? Is Clara a droid or under her influence or something? She definitely seems different, and again things are off.

I think there is something off about Clara lately, perhaps your right and it is part of the arc
miss denton
Local Shop Owner!

Postby Papa's new wife » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:03 am

I like the special effects this week and the idea behind the story, but the whole Clara 'not being allowed to go out adventuring with The Doctor because Danny says so' very very wrong. I am sure Moffat didn't mean it to come across as an abusive relationship but its bordering on that (to me and to The Guardian).

I do however want a TARDIS as a cube.
"You got me confused with the other Angel. You know, the one in the dirty trenchcoat. The one who's in love with you"

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Voodoo Lady » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:09 am

I see how the Clara situation could be seen that way. For my part, given the context, it feels more like when you date a bloke that your friends think is trouble, and you can kind of see it, and yet you can't make yourself give him up. Instead, you tell your friends you've quit him, just to get them off your back, but you keep seeing him secretly, and trying to hide it from everyone. Danny never asked her to stop traveling with the Doctor, that's something she decided on voluntarily, and then when she changed her mind, she was too embarrassed to admit it to Danny.

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby astrid » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:36 pm

My issue with the whole Danny/Doctor thing is once again it feels like a romantic relationship dilemma. If the Doctor was female, or unisex etc would it be an issue. If she had a demanding family life where she had to rush off to look after someone would he be saying she is always rushing off. It is coming off like she needs his approval, that she is ashamed as VL says and feels the need to hide it.

Can you imagine a male companion in this situation, would the gf be shown as a 'needy chick'. When you boil it down it is a chance of a lifetime, I mean really, to travel space and time?. How could anyone complain that you took that opportunity as you'd be always busy. Please note she is managing to hold down a demanding teaching job so she must be there every week day at the least.
ImageImage
astrid
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Son of Tubbs returns! » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:11 pm

They should just rename it Clara Who and be done with it!
Son of Tubbs returns!
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby ratgirl » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:11 pm

I found the whole 'not having told Danny' thing really confusing, because when she threw a strop he was basically saying, 'sleep on it, you'll change your mind'. So maybe the actual story arc is just her being too proud to admit she was wrong and he was right, but it was presented oddly in the episode.

It would hardly be surprising if Clara turned out to be someone/thing else entirely. She's bloody changed character enough times already! Usually I like main story arcs, but this one is really irritating me. I tut every time someone else ends up in the weirdy afterlife. Bah!

ratgirl
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby miss denton » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:33 pm

Yesterday's episode was okay, not my favourite though. The ending was not good. There were some interesting ideas just not well executed. I'm still enjoying twelve.
miss denton
Local Shop Owner!

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat