Dr Who

Heaven forbid, you're bored of chatting about the LoG!! Well it's ok, there's something for you here!

Moderators: Papa's new wife, MrsBeasley, Voodoo Lady, Tracy

Re: Dr Who

Postby ratgirl » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:19 pm

I found the whole children thing quite irritating (although, to be fair, the main annoying child was actually less annoying than the annoying adults! :P). Overall it wasn't that bad. The story arc makes me grit my teeth, though. Normally I love that sort of thing - a finale that pieces everything together etc.etc. But this one seems so tacked on that it's frustrating. Am not holding out much hope for next week... :(

Also does any schoolchild really call their teachers 'sir' and 'miss' these days except on TV??
"I've been in love with the morbid, ebony-black grotesqueness of the 19th century since I was knee-high to a funeral mute."

ratgirl
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Voodoo Lady » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:51 am

I thought the episode was fairly weak. Why did they make a big deal about the children mysteriously being smarter and nicer if they weren't going to go anywhere with it? And what the hell is wrong with Clara? Just a few weeks ago, she was concerned about her students, but now she could give a toss? Now suddenly there's nothing more important than having an adventure? Has she been swapped out by a robot or clone, and that's her connection to Missy? Because she doesn't seem herself. It's like she's addicted to the Doctor, and the other people in her life are a pale second.

I have to say that I really don't care what the mystery with Missy is. I'm over it at this point. Like Sarah said, it feels completely tacked on, not like it was an important part of the series. Meh.

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Location: The Hogwarts Kitchen, helping Hermione make S.P.E.W badges

Postby Papa's new wife » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:17 pm

This finale is going to have to be bloody amazing for me to be bothered next year. Like you VL I don't even care about Missy. Bored now.

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/arts-entertainment/manipulative-boyfriends-vote-danny-pink-best-doctor-who-companion-2014102892170 :lol:
"You got me confused with the other Angel. You know, the one in the dirty trenchcoat. The one who's in love with you"

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby ratgirl » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:19 pm

Haha, love the article! Classic. And more entertaining than most of Doctor Who. ;)
"I've been in love with the morbid, ebony-black grotesqueness of the 19th century since I was knee-high to a funeral mute."

ratgirl
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby astrid » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:34 pm

Yip, it's going to take the equivalent of an Casanova sex Tennant to make this series worth while. So Clara isn't Clara, Oh my Gods do we not care.
ImageImage
astrid
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Papa's new wife » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:34 pm

astrid wrote:Yip, it's going to take the equivalent of an Casanova sex Tennant to make this series worth while.

AHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!
"You got me confused with the other Angel. You know, the one in the dirty trenchcoat. The one who's in love with you"

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Voodoo Lady » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:32 am

Hahahhahahaha! That's great. :lol:

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby ratgirl » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:45 pm

Mmm, Casanova Sex Tennant - every home should have one! :D

ratgirl
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby astrid » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:19 pm

Yes every home should, as compensation for sitting through this whole series.
ImageImage
astrid
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Voodoo Lady » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:43 pm

AGREED!

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Papa's new wife » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:27 pm

F*CK YOU MOFFAT.
I can't manage a coherent rant at the moment & the forum doesn't like it when I swear properly so I'll just put a
WORST. EPISODE. EVER.
And now mad screaming will follow ......

Why change sex? WHY? The planet is inherently misogynistic so if you have The Doctor being a woman the show will fail because humans are bastards. So why ruin The Master? You have plenty of Time Ladies to chose from and now you've brought back Gallifrey you can just make up any number more who can be just as annoying as Missy, but no, you have to go ruin The Master just to prove a point.

The ONLY part of the episode I liked was Clara's dream at the beginning. That would have been a great cliffhanger, how would they get out of there? But nah, we've got THE PLOT to get back to. Back to the trials of the abusive partner who no-one likes, back to the hideously annoying twat in a suit, back to the "oh looks its the Cybermen AGAIN, remember when it was a surpise to see them and they were quite scary?"

I gave this series a go and I was SO looking forward to it, but its been dire. Capaldi, normally such a great actor (and he was amazing in Torchwood) isn't The Doctor, Clara gets stuck with a controlling passive aggressive shit, we have episodes too childish for CBeebies, laughable denouements, tired and predictable storylines and LETS GO TO LONDON COS WE HAVEN'T BEEN THERE FOR 0.5 SECONDS!!!!

I will try again when Moffat finally gets kicked out (and surely that can't be long off? Eastenders used to use "everyone's talking about it" as their tag line but Who could have "no-one's talking about it" as theirs. When was the last time #DoctorWho trended on Twitter? I haven't seen it this series) but before then, nope.
I tried. It failed.

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby astrid » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:03 am

Things I liked about the episode.

Found it more interesting than most of the series however that is like stepping in dog muck and liking one shoe better as it has less shit on it.
Capaldi's speech about his friendship regardless of the fact that Clara is a high maintenance bore.
Michelle Gomez being ever so slightly Sue White, I love her and find her so watchable. The football match comment made me laugh. As ohhh ffs as the story line is having her and Capaldi doing it makes it as good as it's going to get.

What I didn't like, well the rest. I want the series to be over so it all starts afresh. The whole thing just feels wrong.

Oh and I founf the Steve joke distasteful for this type of show. Not cool.
ImageImage
astrid
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Voodoo Lady » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:35 am

Yeah, nope.

This was one of the better episodes this series. Sadly, this is not much of a compliment. To be fair, there were things I genuinely liked about this series, but it was about one episode worth, parceled out over 11 (so far).

I think the "big reveal" (a.k.a. the big confirmation that the prevailing fan theory was the correct one) could have been really cool if anything leading up to it had been. If I hadn't been so "please just end this nonsense so we can move on" bored, I might have gone for it. I personally like the idea that Timelords/ladies can gender swap. Why not? IMHO, it was long overdue. Unfortunately it was used as one-off sensationalism, rather than the interesting bit of character development it might have been.

And Cybermen? Really? Does anyone even care about them anymore? I want the Cybermen and the Daleks to collectively fly into a sun and not be heard of again for at least five years. Think of the scariest baddies in the recent series. The ones that come to mind have been the Weeping Angels, the Vashta Narada, the Ood, The Silence, those flatliney things a couple of weeks ago. All relatively recent additions to the Whoniverse, and all properly terrifying, in part because they were new. (The Angels have now been overused to the point where they're comical, and the Ood have been made sympathetic, but I think my point still stands.) The Daleks and the Cybermen have become easy gimmicks at this point, and boring.

And let's talk about that "3W" company symbol, the shape of the doors and windows, and the fact that they were very obviously in the shape of Cybermen eyes. Did the Doctor send his brain out for cleaning this week? The cleverest person in the Universe couldn't spot giant Cybermen eyes everywhere? Let's say for a minute, though, that he was too preoccupied to notice or something. How in the hell did he fail to notice that Missy had TWO EFFING HEARTS?!

Maybe this one will be explained, but if Missy was trying to gather every human who had died, why would her assistant offer Danny the option of deleting himself? Isn't he essentially being held captive? You can't tell me that The Master feels any kind of compassion for his prisoners, let alone enough to allow them to choose to opt out if they can't handle things.

Good things: I did cry when the Doctor made the big speech at the beginning, and I like the Volcano bit (and the way it wrapped up). I also liked the idea of the water. It could have been a pretty awesome reveal in different circumstances. (I also enjoyed the Doctor not understanding the swimming pool bit, particularly as it was rather crass for Dr. Who.)

Another thing I'll give this series, in the interest of fairness: It's had some incredible one-liners. Really, really great t-shirt fodder, which has been fun. You can't write a good episode on the back of strong one-liners, unfortunately, but I have appreciated them nonetheless.

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby miss denton » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:33 am

Well, I've been enjoying the series. There have been one or two rubbish episodes but there have been rubbish episodes since the classic era. Just my opinion

i find missy being the master interesting. I would have loved to have seen Simm for a regeneration, but I understand why they didn't do it. I admit I was hoping for The Rani, but I like the new spin on The Master
miss denton
Local Shop Owner!

Postby ratgirl » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:08 pm

Well, I didn't hate it as much as most of you, it seems! I actually found there were quite a few things in that episode that seemed to set the finale up quite nicely - the only problem being you just know they're going to ruin it in the final episode! Moffat has a terrible problem with spending ages setting up a really complicated story and then having no idea how to end it, so it's bound to be something like - just as they're facing inevitable death and the entire human race has been deleted, Clara suddenly realises she can pull a plug out of a thingummabob, and luckily none of it ever happened.

I'm not quite sure why we're spoiler-sizing things since there's only five of us on here and we've all seen it, but here goes anyway... (though I vote we stop because it's hard to read - I just don't read the threads until after I've watched it!)

A man in the pub told me the day before we watched it that Missy was short for Mistress. I actually quite liked that, and agree that it's been long overdue for a Time Lord to gender swap. Although I must say I couldn't help but feel Moffat had wanted to squeeze it in to try and prove to people that he honestly doesn't have any particular stereotypes about women, he totally knows how to write strong female characters and he really doesn't think all women simply want to snog the Doctor... oh, hang on! :roll:

The Cybermen reveal was quite well done (although Stewart and I had the conversation about the doors too), but ultimately utterly pointless. I mean, why was Missy BOTHERING to hide them in special water when no one was even supposed to be in there anyway? Did she just not like looking at them? I suppose I would prefer to have them as skeletons in my house, so I can maybe see her point...

ratgirl
Mayor of Royston Vasey

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat