Dr Who

Heaven forbid, you're bored of chatting about the LoG!! Well it's ok, there's something for you here!

Moderators: Papa's new wife, MrsBeasley, Voodoo Lady, Tracy

Re: Dr Who

Postby Voodoo Lady » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:28 am

ratgirl wrote:I'm not quite sure why we're spoiler-sizing things since there's only five of us on here and we've all seen it, but here goes anyway... (though I vote we stop because it's hard to read - I just don't read the threads until after I've watched it!)

I could be on board with that.

A man in the pub told me the day before we watched it that Missy was short for Mistress. I actually quite liked that, and agree that it's been long overdue for a Time Lord to gender swap. Although I must say I couldn't help but feel Moffat had wanted to squeeze it in to try and prove to people that he honestly doesn't have any particular stereotypes about women, he totally knows how to write strong female characters and he really doesn't think all women simply want to snog the Doctor... oh, hang on! :roll:

(smallifying only until others can weigh in on the issue of smallification.)

I agree with you re: Moffat's intentions in making The Master a woman. That being said, I always got the impression, at least since the revival, that The Master wanted to snog the Doctor, even when he was a man. I also agree that the Cybermen reveal was cool, but completely wasted. If the place they were being kept was supposed to be a museum, and they wanted to hide the Cybermen from public eyes, but you're right; no one was supposed to be there, anyway.

I realize I'm being picky here, but while I sort of like the idea of Missy being short for Mistress, it also rubs me the wrong way. Isn't "Master" the character's name? If gender swapping was a normal possibility when a timelord/lady regenerates, then wouldn't having gender-centric naming conventions be a foreign concept to them. I mean, wouldn't "Bob" still be "Bob", only with girl bits? Same person, same name. I don't want to refer to Missy's character as "The Mistress" until such time as she (possibly) goes back to being male, but the name "Missy" lacks some of the power, the *ahem* mastery of his/her original title. Or is that just me? :lol:

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Location: The Hogwarts Kitchen, helping Hermione make S.P.E.W badges

Postby miss denton » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:25 pm

ratgirl wrote:I'm not quite sure why we're spoiler-sizing things since there's only five of us on here and we've all seen it, but here goes anyway... (though I vote we stop because it's hard to read - I just don't read the threads until after I've watched it!)

I don't mind stopping it. I only did it due to a few years ago on another forum. I posted about a doctor who episode which had aired a day previously and was promptly sworn at and called thick as they hadn't seen it yet.
miss denton
Local Shop Owner!

Postby Voodoo Lady » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:20 am

miss denton wrote:

I don't mind stopping it. I only did it due to a few years ago on another forum. I posted about a doctor who episode which had aired a day previously and was promptly sworn at and called thick as they hadn't seen it yet.

While that's an extreme and ridiculous (and very rude!) response to spoilers, I'm spoiler-phobic, so I fully supported making them teeny back in the days when we had people all over this place, and accidentally seeing something you didn't want to was a real danger. Anymore, though, I agree it's silly. Or at least we should use our best judgement. A good example of when, possibly, to use spoilers, is the new Supernatural thread. Astrid has openly stated she's catching up on the last couple of seasons, so out of respect, it might be a good idea to hide spoilers in that case.

Another instance is in the American Horror Story thread. It airs here first, so it would be plain rude of me to go in there and start throwing spoilers around before it's even *reached* the UK.

Dr. Who, though, is simul-cast, and everyone here is current, so I agree, spoiler phobia is out of place here.

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Voodoo Lady » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:21 pm

Well...? What think we?

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby astrid » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:38 pm

Another slice of meh. I wasn't overly taken. Danny's love so strong yeah....begs the question if he'll be brought back for 'Christmas'. Can't quite believe that was the ending for Missy. I love her, the actress, find it annoying if that is it for her, kinda feels like a waste now.

I'm still undecided about it, you?
ImageImage
astrid
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby ratgirl » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:08 am

I rolled my eyes a lot at Danny as the Cyberman (it was immediately obvious it was him who'd rescued her - and didn't they already do all that with the Centurion? Very cheesy and lame to do it again). Although I actually got a bit teary at the Brigadier coming back at the end!

Overall, it was better than I expected. I thought it was going to be a terrible anticlimax (yes, I have that much faith in Moffat), but actually there were some good ideas in there. I liked the image of the Cybermen climbing out of the graves (if only they hadn't melted all the mort-safes down in the war, eh?? ;) ), and I did quite like the plan of seeing what the Doctor would do with an army etc. It did suffer from the usual 'loads and loads of ideas all thrown together and rushed through really quickly when some of them probably could have been whole episodes' that Moffat does quite a lot. I think this is also probably related to the lack of set-up in the previous episodes - if there had been a bit more than a final tacked-on scene and it had been part of the other episodes the whole thing would have made more sense.

Both of us loved the Doctor getting to the co-ordinates and Gallifrey not being there and him angrily smashing the console. That's about the one time Capaldi has actually quite affected me as the Doctor. So that probably brought the episode up quite a bit for me!
"I've been in love with the morbid, ebony-black grotesqueness of the 19th century since I was knee-high to a funeral mute."

ratgirl
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Voodoo Lady » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:04 pm

I missed Gallifrey not being there, I think. Hmmm....

This episode was alright. If it had been a standalone, I might have enjoyed it better. There was some stupidness, yes, but I've just come to expect it at this point.

To be honest, and I canNOT believe I'm saying this, if it weren't for Nick Frost, I wouldn't be tuning in for the Christmas special. I can't say for sure, but I may have watched my last Dr. Who for a good, long while. I truly can't believe that I feel that way; I've looked forward to every series of Who for the last decade; it's part of my life! And yet, I'm not only unexcited by the idea of new episodes, I'm filled with a kind of mild dread when I consider them. :/

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby ratgirl » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:47 pm

So, Christmas...?

I'd had a bit much port, so I think I ranted through quite a bit of it. But I wasn't keen. It was watchable, but that seems to be about the best you can say about Who these days...
"I've been in love with the morbid, ebony-black grotesqueness of the 19th century since I was knee-high to a funeral mute."

ratgirl
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Voodoo Lady » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:18 pm

I was a bit whoopsy myself, but I remembered liking some parts, hating others, and I think I might have cried at the end, even though I felt it was trite. Couldn't decide whether I liked the use of Santa or not. I loved the dream within a dream within a dream idea, but overall, it was fairly meh. In fact, when I read your post, I thought, "Crap, I don't think I saw it. How could I have not watched the Christmas episode?"

Then I remembered that I had. Not the best sign. :/

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby ratgirl » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:31 pm

Haha, oh dear! Yeah, I feel pretty much like that about it myself. Then I spend five seconds thinking 'maybe I should watch it aga... nah!" :D

ratgirl
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Voodoo Lady » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:54 pm

:lol:

To be fair, I had similar thoughts about certain episodes from years past. Hated them. Hated some of the people in them. And yet upon rewatching recently, they weren't nearly as bad as I felt the first time. In fact, I even liked some of them. What's more, I grew to really appreciate Martha (she's a total badass!), and even got to a point where I was almost fond of Donna. So perhaps in time we should revisit this one, too, just in case our first impressions are skewed somehow.

Just...not for a good, long while. :lol:

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby miss denton » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:20 am

Some episodes have been hit and miss for me. Although it seems like i'm the only one who enjoyed Sleep No More. I like Osgood, Kate and Missy being back. Much as I like Clara I think it is time for her to go. She started to annoy me a bit last series. Hopefully we can get a proper male companion as well as a female companion.
miss denton
Local Shop Owner!

Postby Voodoo Lady » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:19 am

I agree! Someone somewhere said what Capaldi needs is someone a little rougher around the edges, someone with street smarts to keep him grounded, and something in me said, "YES!" I want someone like Rose who will straight up call him on his sh*t, instead of just going "Oh you!"

Bad sign: Facebook straight up spoiled the latest episode, so I know something of what happened to Clara, and I don't even care. I have zero desire to watch it. :P

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby miss denton » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:16 pm

I enjoyed The Husbands of River Song. I liked how it tied it all up. However, I would have liked to have seen more adventures with twelve and River. Perhaps Big Finish will do this. River and eight are in their new audio adventure.
miss denton
Local Shop Owner!

Postby miss denton » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:42 pm

I'm reserving judgement of the new Doctor until I see her in action. I did like the few seconds that I saw though.

I liked the Christmas episode. It didn't feel like much happened though. I did like twelve and he had some good episodes. I do think he could have done with better scripts. It's also a shame that we only had one series of him and Bill. I liked her so much better than Clara. She worked well with him.

Also
As one was in it I would have liked to have seen Carole Ann Ford (Susan) but alas no. I enjoyed David Bradley in An Adventure in Time and Space, so it was good to see him as the first doctor.The reveal of Gatiss's character being related to the Brigadier was good
miss denton
Local Shop Owner!

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat