Dr Who

Heaven forbid, you're bored of chatting about the LoG!! Well it's ok, there's something for you here!

Moderators: Papa's new wife, MrsBeasley, Voodoo Lady, Tracy

Son of Tubbs returns!
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Re: Dr Who

Post by Son of Tubbs returns! » Mon May 20, 2013 6:23 pm

Has everyone one seen it before it rambling on?

miss denton
Local Shop Owner!

Post by miss denton » Sun May 26, 2013 10:33 pm

I saw the finale on Friday. Really loved it
Voodoo Lady wrote:I completely dug it, but then I haven't had the problems with the show that some other people have. Yeah, his companion is yet another sassy chick mooning over him, but after horrible characters like Martha and Donna, I'm just grateful that I like her! I think it's kind of nifty that the children have traveled with them a little, too.

Gods I loved just about everything about this episode. I loved how he wept when he learned he had to visit his own grave. It's nice to see him vulnerable from time to time. The idea of him being buried in the TARDIS, of River's gravestone being the secret entrance, that the TARDIS was still sort of alive and guarding him was really poignant. I thought the explanation of Clara's existence in other times was so simple and yet clever. I love this new twist with a non-Doctor Doctor. I know a lot of fans have been upset about it, but we don't know that he's not the 8th Doctor. He's so much older than 8 from the movie that it could work. Plus, if he'd gone all baddie, that would make so much sense, since we know he committed genocide many times over in order to end the Time War.

Oh, and there were so many times that I got the chills. When I realized that River was dead (I'd forgotten how we met her!) I got chills, and when she stayed linked to Clara. When the Doctor grabbed her hand, I just about cheered. I started crying surprising, choking sobs at the very start when Clara says, in voiceover, "I'm the impossible girl, and I was born to save the Doctor." That opening was so beautifully done, anyway, with the older footage. And oh gods, the bit that really killed me, no pun intended, was the whole buildup with Jenny on the conference call. "I forgot to lock up." I can't get that last line out of my head. "I'm sorry, Ma'am. I think I've been murdered." Gah!

Okay, I know that's all a jumble, but I just loved everything! The only thing that bugged me was how similar the Whisper Men were to the Gentlemen from Buffy, but I suppose at some point there are only so many ideas and there are bound to be some crossovers.

Oh, and I have to say that I'm SO glad that we didn't actually hear the Doctor's Name! I think that would have been crossing a line, even for a non-purist like myself.
Have to agree with all of this.

Have to say I did a squee when I saw Hurt :D

Really looking forward to the 50th. I have to say avoid anything Doctor Who related on twitter. I clicked on a link and it was a massive spoiler for the 50th. Didn't warn me or anything :roll:

miss denton
Local Shop Owner!

Post by miss denton » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:31 pm

Absolutley giddy with excitement. Can't wait to see the new Doctor in action.

Son of Tubbs returns!
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Son of Tubbs returns! » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:16 pm

I think it's a wise move to go older,I'm too hoping this means less lovely dovey rubbish! I'm really quite surprised an actor with his career would want to commit to 9 months of filming Doctor Who,but apparently he does! Interesting to see what he does with it.

Though I do think that it also needs a fresh creative team too. You know the best actor in the world can't help some of the patchy scripts we had last year..

Son of Tubbs returns!
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Son of Tubbs returns! » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:21 pm

I apologise for being a big old geek, but it's a massive day for us fans of Doctor Who. Today they are going name and let us know how many missing Doctor Who stories from the 60's have been found in Ethiopia!

There has been rumours since April and it was confirmed this week that some have been located (possibly 9) One consisting of a whole story,some episodes from another and many more episodes to be returned over the coming months as negotiations go on.

This is massive if you're a diehard fan, this is stuff that no one has seen for 47 years and is effectively new to anyone under 40 and it's so great that Patrick Troughton will have more stuff representing him in the BBC archives. :)

This has made my year!

Sorry about my geek out.As you were!

Son of Tubbs returns!
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Son of Tubbs returns! » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:40 pm

You must all watch the Doctor Who mini episode that was released today! I had a little geek out!

Son of Tubbs returns!
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Son of Tubbs returns! » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:47 pm

Ten times I've watched it ten times!!!

miss denton
Local Shop Owner!

Post by miss denton » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:18 pm

Son of Tubbs returns! wrote:Ten times I've watched it ten times!!!
I think I have watched it more than that :lol: Absolutley loved it.

There was a 2 minute preview of Day of The Doctor tonight. It was too quick.

Son of Tubbs returns!
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Son of Tubbs returns! » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:23 pm

Who else saw.'An Adventure in Time and Space''? The best docodrama Ive ever seen and I'm not saying that because I totally love the subject matter! It was very factually correct, moving and wasn't nasty and cynical like these things usually tend to be.It celebrated a very good actor (he was a big name in the 40's and 50's in the movies) who was at the end of his career and as it was was unwell.

It made me proud to be a fan and it really applauded the birth of an iconic show. Faultless. If people say when they've seen it I can go into detail about it.

Though the final cameo did smell of Gorgonzola! :lol:

Son of Tubbs returns!
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Son of Tubbs returns! » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:01 pm

I need to watch again tonight to give a rock solid opinion because I was half cut last night, in a room of 1500 people and it was noisy and hard to concentrate!

miss denton
Local Shop Owner!

Post by miss denton » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:15 pm

I really enjoyed it. John Hurt was very good. The only thing I wasn't fond of was Tom Baker's bit. I would have preferred William Russell, especially as Clara worked at Coal Hill school. When I saw the sign I thought we might get Ian Chesterton I did think we may have seen him
and
CAPALDI'S EYES!!! Loved that bit

I loved Peter Davison's spoof on the red button. It was so funny Loved the Moff playing with figures and all the cameos

Son of Tubbs returns!
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Son of Tubbs returns! » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:12 pm

miss denton wrote:I really enjoyed it. John Hurt was very good. The only thing I wasn't fond of was Tom Baker's bit. I would have preferred William Russell, especially as Clara worked at Coal Hill school. When I saw the sign I thought we might get Ian Chesterton I did think we may have seen him
and
CAPALDI'S EYES!!! Loved that bit

I loved Peter Davison's spoof on the red button. It was so funny Loved the Moff playing with figures and all the cameos

Everyone must watch the spoof!!!

miss denton
Local Shop Owner!

Post by miss denton » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:05 pm

I had to watch the Time of The Doctor again today as on Christmas day I did drink lots so I didn't concentrate on the story. My second viewing was much better. It wasn't the greatest last story for a Doctor, but it was okay. Loved the Five Doctor's reference. I did shed a tear during his regeneration but loved Capaldi's introduction KIDNEY'S! :lol:

We have to wait until September before it's back :(

miss denton
Local Shop Owner!

Post by miss denton » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:31 pm

Much as I like Clara I did have a problem with her changing her mind after storming off. Apart from that I thought the episode was fantastic.

ratgirl
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by ratgirl » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:27 pm

I found it very confusing Clara suddenly re-appearing. I mean, why would she decide she was so upset she was leaving him but then want to go on one last trip? Nonsense! I actually thought the rather ridiculous argument was in order to give Jenna an episode off, so I was a bit confused when she turned up.

Liked the train idea and the concept of The Foretold, but it was a bit like the less-good Buffy endings, where you get a load of tension and then the ending falls a bit flat. So not as good as it could have been, for me.

Still about a billion times better than Robot of Sherwood, though. :P
"I've been in love with the morbid, ebony-black grotesqueness of the 19th century since I was knee-high to a funeral mute."