Dr Who

Heaven forbid, you're bored of chatting about the LoG!! Well it's ok, there's something for you here!

Moderators: Papa's new wife, MrsBeasley, Voodoo Lady, Tracy

Re: Dr Who

Postby miss denton » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:51 pm

I'm still loving it. There are rubbish episodes (The Rings of Akhaten) and episodes I really liked (Hide and Journey To The Centre of The Tardis) so far but it's like that with every series of Doctor Who. I didn't like many of the 2009 specials, Journey's End, The Stolen Earth and a lot of the Colin Baker tv stories)

Looking forward to this weeks episode looks good. It's also written by Gatiss
miss denton
Local Shop Owner!

Postby astrid » Tue May 14, 2013 9:32 pm

Ok, so, next week is the last in the series and I'm still not loving it. Hoping that next week might be a good but I'm not overly hopeful. Any thoughts?
ImageImage
astrid
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby astrid » Sun May 19, 2013 11:07 pm

Last episode. Thoughts?
ImageImage
astrid
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Son of Tubbs returns! » Mon May 20, 2013 6:23 pm

Has everyone one seen it before it rambling on?
Son of Tubbs returns!
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby astrid » Mon May 20, 2013 8:26 pm

Just use teeny tiny writing.
ImageImage
astrid
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Voodoo Lady » Tue May 21, 2013 3:20 am

I completely dug it, but then I haven't had the problems with the show that some other people have. Yeah, his companion is yet another sassy chick mooning over him, but after horrible characters like Martha and Donna, I'm just grateful that I like her! I think it's kind of nifty that the children have traveled with them a little, too.

Gods I loved just about everything about this episode. I loved how he wept when he learned he had to visit his own grave. It's nice to see him vulnerable from time to time. The idea of him being buried in the TARDIS, of River's gravestone being the secret entrance, that the TARDIS was still sort of alive and guarding him was really poignant. I thought the explanation of Clara's existence in other times was so simple and yet clever. I love this new twist with a non-Doctor Doctor. I know a lot of fans have been upset about it, but we don't know that he's not the 8th Doctor. He's so much older than 8 from the movie that it could work. Plus, if he'd gone all baddie, that would make so much sense, since we know he committed genocide many times over in order to end the Time War.

Oh, and there were so many times that I got the chills. When I realized that River was dead (I'd forgotten how we met her!) I got chills, and when she stayed linked to Clara. When the Doctor grabbed her hand, I just about cheered. I started crying surprising, choking sobs at the very start when Clara says, in voiceover, "I'm the impossible girl, and I was born to save the Doctor." That opening was so beautifully done, anyway, with the older footage. And oh gods, the bit that really killed me, no pun intended, was the whole buildup with Jenny on the conference call. "I forgot to lock up." I can't get that last line out of my head. "I'm sorry, Ma'am. I think I've been murdered." Gah!

Okay, I know that's all a jumble, but I just loved everything! The only thing that bugged me was how similar the Whisper Men were to the Gentlemen from Buffy, but I suppose at some point there are only so many ideas and there are bound to be some crossovers.

Oh, and I have to say that I'm SO glad that we didn't actually hear the Doctor's Name! I think that would have been crossing a line, even for a non-purist like myself.

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Location: The Hogwarts Kitchen, helping Hermione make S.P.E.W badges

Postby astrid » Wed May 22, 2013 10:22 pm

Pretty much on the same page babe. This episode was my favourite of the whole series. I love John Hurt so I whooped when he turned around, I had successfully avoided the filming spoilers so,was not expecting him at all. As you said really liked how they explained the impossible girl, had totally forgotten about River also...tear...loved. Has completely wetted the appetite for the 50th special. Mmmmmm Tennant.
ImageImage
astrid
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby miss denton » Sun May 26, 2013 10:33 pm

I saw the finale on Friday. Really loved it

Voodoo Lady wrote:I completely dug it, but then I haven't had the problems with the show that some other people have. Yeah, his companion is yet another sassy chick mooning over him, but after horrible characters like Martha and Donna, I'm just grateful that I like her! I think it's kind of nifty that the children have traveled with them a little, too.

Gods I loved just about everything about this episode. I loved how he wept when he learned he had to visit his own grave. It's nice to see him vulnerable from time to time. The idea of him being buried in the TARDIS, of River's gravestone being the secret entrance, that the TARDIS was still sort of alive and guarding him was really poignant. I thought the explanation of Clara's existence in other times was so simple and yet clever. I love this new twist with a non-Doctor Doctor. I know a lot of fans have been upset about it, but we don't know that he's not the 8th Doctor. He's so much older than 8 from the movie that it could work. Plus, if he'd gone all baddie, that would make so much sense, since we know he committed genocide many times over in order to end the Time War.

Oh, and there were so many times that I got the chills. When I realized that River was dead (I'd forgotten how we met her!) I got chills, and when she stayed linked to Clara. When the Doctor grabbed her hand, I just about cheered. I started crying surprising, choking sobs at the very start when Clara says, in voiceover, "I'm the impossible girl, and I was born to save the Doctor." That opening was so beautifully done, anyway, with the older footage. And oh gods, the bit that really killed me, no pun intended, was the whole buildup with Jenny on the conference call. "I forgot to lock up." I can't get that last line out of my head. "I'm sorry, Ma'am. I think I've been murdered." Gah!

Okay, I know that's all a jumble, but I just loved everything! The only thing that bugged me was how similar the Whisper Men were to the Gentlemen from Buffy, but I suppose at some point there are only so many ideas and there are bound to be some crossovers.

Oh, and I have to say that I'm SO glad that we didn't actually hear the Doctor's Name! I think that would have been crossing a line, even for a non-purist like myself.

Have to agree with all of this.

Have to say I did a squee when I saw Hurt :D

Really looking forward to the 50th. I have to say avoid anything Doctor Who related on twitter. I clicked on a link and it was a massive spoiler for the 50th. Didn't warn me or anything :roll:
miss denton
Local Shop Owner!

Postby astrid » Sun May 26, 2013 10:47 pm

Yip, avoiding spoilers is getting more and more difficult. Not great, I too, am keeping everything at a clicks length away so to speak.
ImageImage
astrid
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby astrid » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:05 pm

So what do we all think of the twelfth Doctor. I'm loving it. Hoping this means a smarter darker less tweeny series.
ImageImage
astrid
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby miss denton » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:31 pm

Absolutley giddy with excitement. Can't wait to see the new Doctor in action.
miss denton
Local Shop Owner!

Postby Voodoo Lady » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:59 pm

I love the actor, and I really like that they went older this time around. I, too, hope that means less mooning over him by assistants, but I have a hunch that's never going to really go away. I'm not sure I can picture him as the Doctor, but I am interested to see what he does.

P.S. Don't know why I'm avoiding saying his name; it's pretty much unavoidable.

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Location: The Hogwarts Kitchen, helping Hermione make S.P.E.W badges

Postby Son of Tubbs returns! » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:16 pm

I think it's a wise move to go older,I'm too hoping this means less lovely dovey rubbish! I'm really quite surprised an actor with his career would want to commit to 9 months of filming Doctor Who,but apparently he does! Interesting to see what he does with it.

Though I do think that it also needs a fresh creative team too. You know the best actor in the world can't help some of the patchy scripts we had last year..
Son of Tubbs returns!
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Papa's new wife » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:59 pm

I'm actually getting excited for next year!
It'll be so good to be able to watch Who again.
I hope I enjoy the writing :o

Still not decided whether I'll watch the special yet, I'm sure I will do, especially as I saw a spoiler by mistake :evil: I've been so good for a while now about spoilers, since I went along to The Avengers with no real idea about any of it, I have found that I am enjoying stuff a lot more again. So no spoilers unless I know I'll hate it (if that makes any sense :lol: ).

Ok, I'll watch it if I'm at a Who party or summat. Otherwise I'll wait for others to watch it and let me know if it ALL Matt Smith with 5 seconds of fun for me or whether I might be able to cope with it, if I'm drunk :lol:
"You got me confused with the other Angel. You know, the one in the dirty trenchcoat. The one who's in love with you"

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Son of Tubbs returns! » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:21 pm

I apologise for being a big old geek, but it's a massive day for us fans of Doctor Who. Today they are going name and let us know how many missing Doctor Who stories from the 60's have been found in Ethiopia!

There has been rumours since April and it was confirmed this week that some have been located (possibly 9) One consisting of a whole story,some episodes from another and many more episodes to be returned over the coming months as negotiations go on.

This is massive if you're a diehard fan, this is stuff that no one has seen for 47 years and is effectively new to anyone under 40 and it's so great that Patrick Troughton will have more stuff representing him in the BBC archives. :)

This has made my year!

Sorry about my geek out.As you were!
Son of Tubbs returns!
Mayor of Royston Vasey

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat