Dr Who

Heaven forbid, you're bored of chatting about the LoG!! Well it's ok, there's something for you here!

Moderators: Papa's new wife, MrsBeasley, Voodoo Lady, Tracy

ratgirl
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Re: Dr Who

Post by ratgirl » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:19 pm

Haha, love the article! Classic. And more entertaining than most of Doctor Who. ;)
"I've been in love with the morbid, ebony-black grotesqueness of the 19th century since I was knee-high to a funeral mute."

ratgirl
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by ratgirl » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:45 pm

Mmm, Casanova Sex Tennant - every home should have one! :D
"I've been in love with the morbid, ebony-black grotesqueness of the 19th century since I was knee-high to a funeral mute."

miss denton
Local Shop Owner!

Post by miss denton » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:33 am

Well, I've been enjoying the series. There have been one or two rubbish episodes but there have been rubbish episodes since the classic era. Just my opinion

i find missy being the master interesting. I would have loved to have seen Simm for a regeneration, but I understand why they didn't do it. I admit I was hoping for The Rani, but I like the new spin on The Master

ratgirl
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by ratgirl » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:08 pm

Well, I didn't hate it as much as most of you, it seems! I actually found there were quite a few things in that episode that seemed to set the finale up quite nicely - the only problem being you just know they're going to ruin it in the final episode! Moffat has a terrible problem with spending ages setting up a really complicated story and then having no idea how to end it, so it's bound to be something like - just as they're facing inevitable death and the entire human race has been deleted, Clara suddenly realises she can pull a plug out of a thingummabob, and luckily none of it ever happened.

I'm not quite sure why we're spoiler-sizing things since there's only five of us on here and we've all seen it, but here goes anyway... (though I vote we stop because it's hard to read - I just don't read the threads until after I've watched it!)

A man in the pub told me the day before we watched it that Missy was short for Mistress. I actually quite liked that, and agree that it's been long overdue for a Time Lord to gender swap. Although I must say I couldn't help but feel Moffat had wanted to squeeze it in to try and prove to people that he honestly doesn't have any particular stereotypes about women, he totally knows how to write strong female characters and he really doesn't think all women simply want to snog the Doctor... oh, hang on! :roll:

The Cybermen reveal was quite well done (although Stewart and I had the conversation about the doors too), but ultimately utterly pointless. I mean, why was Missy BOTHERING to hide them in special water when no one was even supposed to be in there anyway? Did she just not like looking at them? I suppose I would prefer to have them as skeletons in my house, so I can maybe see her point...

miss denton
Local Shop Owner!

Post by miss denton » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:25 pm

ratgirl wrote:I'm not quite sure why we're spoiler-sizing things since there's only five of us on here and we've all seen it, but here goes anyway... (though I vote we stop because it's hard to read - I just don't read the threads until after I've watched it!)
I don't mind stopping it. I only did it due to a few years ago on another forum. I posted about a doctor who episode which had aired a day previously and was promptly sworn at and called thick as they hadn't seen it yet.

ratgirl
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by ratgirl » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:08 am

I rolled my eyes a lot at Danny as the Cyberman (it was immediately obvious it was him who'd rescued her - and didn't they already do all that with the Centurion? Very cheesy and lame to do it again). Although I actually got a bit teary at the Brigadier coming back at the end!

Overall, it was better than I expected. I thought it was going to be a terrible anticlimax (yes, I have that much faith in Moffat), but actually there were some good ideas in there. I liked the image of the Cybermen climbing out of the graves (if only they hadn't melted all the mort-safes down in the war, eh?? ;) ), and I did quite like the plan of seeing what the Doctor would do with an army etc. It did suffer from the usual 'loads and loads of ideas all thrown together and rushed through really quickly when some of them probably could have been whole episodes' that Moffat does quite a lot. I think this is also probably related to the lack of set-up in the previous episodes - if there had been a bit more than a final tacked-on scene and it had been part of the other episodes the whole thing would have made more sense.

Both of us loved the Doctor getting to the co-ordinates and Gallifrey not being there and him angrily smashing the console. That's about the one time Capaldi has actually quite affected me as the Doctor. So that probably brought the episode up quite a bit for me!

ratgirl
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by ratgirl » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:47 pm

So, Christmas...?

I'd had a bit much port, so I think I ranted through quite a bit of it. But I wasn't keen. It was watchable, but that seems to be about the best you can say about Who these days...

ratgirl
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by ratgirl » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:31 pm

Haha, oh dear! Yeah, I feel pretty much like that about it myself. Then I spend five seconds thinking 'maybe I should watch it aga... nah!" :D

miss denton
Local Shop Owner!

Post by miss denton » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:20 am

Some episodes have been hit and miss for me. Although it seems like i'm the only one who enjoyed Sleep No More. I like Osgood, Kate and Missy being back. Much as I like Clara I think it is time for her to go. She started to annoy me a bit last series. Hopefully we can get a proper male companion as well as a female companion.

miss denton
Local Shop Owner!

Post by miss denton » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:16 pm

I enjoyed The Husbands of River Song. I liked how it tied it all up. However, I would have liked to have seen more adventures with twelve and River. Perhaps Big Finish will do this. River and eight are in their new audio adventure.

miss denton
Local Shop Owner!

Post by miss denton » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:42 pm

I'm reserving judgement of the new Doctor until I see her in action. I did like the few seconds that I saw though.

I liked the Christmas episode. It didn't feel like much happened though. I did like twelve and he had some good episodes. I do think he could have done with better scripts. It's also a shame that we only had one series of him and Bill. I liked her so much better than Clara. She worked well with him.

Also
As one was in it I would have liked to have seen Carole Ann Ford (Susan) but alas no. I enjoyed David Bradley in An Adventure in Time and Space, so it was good to see him as the first doctor.The reveal of Gatiss's character being related to the Brigadier was good

ratgirl
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by ratgirl » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:57 pm

Yeah, the First Doctor was quite tiresome. Still, Stewart says that William Hartnell was racist, so it could have been worse! :(

I know exactly what you mean about the woman thing. Still, let's wait and see how it goes. Mark was lovely, even though it was immediately obvious the sole purpose for his character to be in it was for him to be related to the Brigadier!