Dr Who

Heaven forbid, you're bored of chatting about the LoG!! Well it's ok, there's something for you here!

Moderators: Papa's new wife, MrsBeasley, Voodoo Lady, Tracy

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey
Location: The Hogwarts Kitchen, helping Hermione make S.P.E.W badges

Re: Dr Who

Post by Voodoo Lady » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:11 am

I loved Bill. I feel like 12 finally hit his stride with her, and it made me sad that we didn't have more of that. That said, I really didn't connect with him, as much as I usually LOVE Capaldi, so I'm excited to see what Jodie Whittaker can do.

As for this episode, it REALLY aggrevated me. I felt like the entire message was that the Doctor would rather die entirely than become a woman, with a side order of, "Be grateful, ladies, that we're giving you *this* much. It could be so much worse!" Yes, I realize that the Doctor as a character didn't know he was going to become female, but we did, the writers did, everyone non-fictional knew, so it's hard for me not to feel it was pointed. I mean, given how many fanboys were complaining that a female Doctor wouldn't be able to drive the TARDIS, it feels particularly irresponsible, if not downright insulting, to have her push one button, and apparently break the damn thing two seconds into her run!

Mark's part was lovely, and he was lovely in it, as per. :)

On the whole, I'm looking forward to next year. Can't wait to see what the Chibnall crew will bring to the table!

astrid
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by astrid » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:08 pm

Agree with all of the above.

I don't like what the did to the first Doctor, all the sexist comments about getting a little woman into clean? Why would he act like that, he a timelord for Pete's sake? I haven't seen any of the very first series in a long time so I'd have to check but I don't remember him being like that at all.
ImageImage

ratgirl
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by ratgirl » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:57 pm

Yeah, the First Doctor was quite tiresome. Still, Stewart says that William Hartnell was racist, so it could have been worse! :(

I know exactly what you mean about the woman thing. Still, let's wait and see how it goes. Mark was lovely, even though it was immediately obvious the sole purpose for his character to be in it was for him to be related to the Brigadier!
"I've been in love with the morbid, ebony-black grotesqueness of the 19th century since I was knee-high to a funeral mute."