Monty Python

A place for discussing all of your other humour related interests.

Moderators: Papa's new wife, MrsBeasley, Voodoo Lady, Tracy

Monty Python

Postby Aino » Fri May 13, 2005 10:43 pm

Of course Monty Python is a legendary comedy group, but what are your thoughts on them? :) Do you have a favourite Python or sketch? Or is it just too hard choose? Which film do you appreciate the most?

I'm sure you lot mostly live in a "League world"... But have you encountered any Pythonesque situations in your life? I certainly sometimes feel like I'm in a Python sketch! :D

Come, come to the wonderful world of Monty Python!

Aino
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Voodoo Lady » Fri May 13, 2005 11:13 pm

Wow, I canNOT believe we didn't already have a Python topic. That's astounding, really! :shock:

My father was an Anglophile, so I was raised on a wee bit of Monty Python as a bairn. My favorite Python, actually is their album, "Another Monty Python Album," which has the Piranha Brothers, The Gumbies, and many other classics.

As for actual sketches, my favorite is Silly Walks, and Holy Grail is my favorite of the films, in spite of the fact it nearly killed me the first time I saw it. (I was laughing too hard and choked on a slice of pizza. :lol:)

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Location: The Hogwarts Kitchen, helping Hermione make S.P.E.W badges

Postby DELETED » Fri May 13, 2005 11:17 pm

DELETED
DELETED

Postby Voodoo Lady » Fri May 13, 2005 11:30 pm

My goodness, girl! Get out there and rent something! It's classic stuff.

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Location: The Hogwarts Kitchen, helping Hermione make S.P.E.W badges

Postby jessie » Sat May 14, 2005 7:52 am

Voodoo Lady wrote:As for actual sketches, my favorite is Silly Walks

Definately, silly walks is one the the funniest things I have every seen!! I wish we walked like that all the time!
ImageImage
jessie
Local Shop Owner!

Location: Underneath the Laurence Llewelyn Bowen memorial patio!

Postby Viper » Sat May 14, 2005 9:43 am

I can't believe this is the first Python topic! Kudos to Aino for starting one, bad me for falling down on the job.

Oh, Python. Light of my comedy life. Terry Jones my sexmo fave, Michael Palin by far and away the most talented of them all. Best sketch? But there are so many.

Naughty school boys, crunchy frog, Arthur "two sheds" Jackson, the opticians on the german tapes, the shoe discussion in Life of Brian, fish slapping time...so, so many. And without them, no League.
Hello my darling it's me again. Where are you?

It could get funnier if we keep doing it.

http://themightycharlottestein.blogspot.com/
Viper
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Judee Levinson » Sat May 14, 2005 9:50 am

:shock: there wasn't a python topic before?! wow. the sillywalks is hilarious, and I have to say the holy grail is the best film, followed closely by the life of brian.
ImageImage
Judee Levinson
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Location: Frolicing in the park with Pierre, throwing Flip flops in a haphazard fashion

Postby Tender_Lumpling » Sat May 14, 2005 10:21 am

I notice most seem to favour Life of Brian in terms of films. I love it but Holy Grail is my favourite.

Can't pick a favourite sketch, there's just too many! And I used to wish I was tall and lanky so I could do silly walks (doesn't have the same effect when you're 5"3).
"How I feel in my mind
And how I live in the world
They are oceans apart"
Tender_Lumpling
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Papalaz » Sat May 14, 2005 10:33 am

The Grim Reaper sketch in the 'Meaning of Life' always cracks me up.

"You Englishmen have no balls!"

As for 'The Holy Grail' I heard it was in Elvis's video collection.
I Sense Grief!
Papalaz
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Bex » Sat May 14, 2005 10:48 am

My favourite EVER Python character is [& always has been] the Boring Prophet from Life of Brian. He's only on screen for less than a minute but he drives me to hysteric tears.

Favourite movie is Holy Grail, favourite Python is Palin [of course] & my favourite Circus sketch is probably the Twit Olympics. :D
Image Image
Bex
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Re: Monty Python

Postby Stonesy » Sat May 14, 2005 11:59 am

Aino wrote:I'm sure you lot mostly live in a "League world"...
[/img]

Its not that. Actual Monty Python's Flying Circus is hard to come by. It is only repeated on Sky, which only a minority have. It is not on DVD or video and rarely repeated on normal telly. Its only the films which people have seen nowdays, which isn't the same. I love it.

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/sotcaa/python.html

The cds are well worth buying if you've not come across Python before, you can get them for about a fiver.
Stonesy
Local Shop Owner!

Postby Papalaz » Sat May 14, 2005 12:06 pm

Its not that. Actual Monty Python's Flying Circus is hard to come by. It is only repeated on Sky, which only a minority have. It is not on DVD or video and rarely repeated on normal telly.

Don't they have the book of scripts from the series, or is it just wishful thinking on my part?
I Sense Grief!
Papalaz
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Re: Monty Python

Postby Tubbs » Sat May 14, 2005 12:11 pm

Stonesy wrote:
Aino wrote:I'm sure you lot mostly live in a "League world"...
[/img]

Its not that. Actual Monty Python's Flying Circus is hard to come by. It is only repeated on Sky, which only a minority have. It is not on DVD or video and rarely repeated on normal telly. Its only the films which people have seen nowdays, which isn't the same. I love it.

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/sotcaa/python.html

The cds are well worth buying if you've not come across Python before, you can get them for about a fiver.

infact, it is never repeated on sky.never come across it when seeing whats on t.v. :cry:
ImageImageImage
Tubbs
Local Shop Owner!

Postby Stonesy » Sat May 14, 2005 12:17 pm

Papalaz; There were two script books two volumes called "All the Words", they've been out of print for a while but I got mine in a charity shop so they should still be available somewhere.

Tubbs; Its been on the Paramount Comedy Channel I believe. I don't know if you can get that or not but if yoou can I would look out for it.
Stonesy
Local Shop Owner!

Postby Papalaz » Sat May 14, 2005 12:20 pm

Thanks for the info Snr. Stonesy. I thought I'd heard of some script books floating about.
I Sense Grief!
Papalaz
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Next

Return to More Comedy