The Mighty Boosh

A place for discussing all of your other humour related interests.

Moderators: Papa's new wife, MrsBeasley, Voodoo Lady, Tracy

krustyx3
Local Shop Owner!

Post by krustyx3 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:02 pm

Can I just add an afterthought to the Little Britain comparison in fandom. I absolutely hate Little Britain. With a passion. The first series was ok but they have just done exactly the same thing with no evolution and just increasing toilet humour through the second series. I do not understand why they are worshipped as being so bloody brilliant. Case in point, why did their live show beat the boosh at this year's comedy award when the majority of people I spoke to who went to both said the boosh was so more inventive. The boosh is consistently ignored by a tv establishment who prefers to play safe rather than risk a choice on a 'cult' comedy. I think it is far better to have a stronger and better comedy (that is slightly out there and unusual) with a committed cult following than a comedy which has long sold out to a fan base which does not have the commitment or enthusiasm that the boosh fans have.
I'm not having a go at LB's hardcore fans. If they love it they love it and visa versa for the Boosh but I hate the fact that people seem unwilling to criticise a show which has just (in my opinion become increasingly weak) because it would be unfashionable to do so.

Sorry to rant but I just had to say it and it was inspired by a rubbish day at work.
"Howard Moon: Explorer"..."I think thats got the wrong ring to it"

ImageImage

Cheeky Chezzy Woo
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Cheeky Chezzy Woo » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:04 pm

Yeah.
Pleasances Times...
Pink Pants....
My Boosh Hat being signed....
AFTERSHOW PARTIES!!...
CILLIT BANG....
2 PINTS OF LAGER AND A PACKET OF SHIT...
"i'll have a pot noodle later....chicken and mushroom"....

Ah so many memories and fun times had
You're the Christmas, promising the summer

T Bird
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by T Bird » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:43 pm

krustyx3 wrote:Can I just add an afterthought to the Little Britain comparison in fandom. I absolutely hate Little Britain. With a passion. The first series was ok but they have just done exactly the same thing with no evolution and just increasing toilet humour through the second series. I do not understand why they are worshipped as being so bloody brilliant. Case in point, why did their live show beat the boosh at this year's comedy award when the majority of people I spoke to who went to both said the boosh was so more inventive. The boosh is consistently ignored by a tv establishment who prefers to play safe rather than risk a choice on a 'cult' comedy. I think it is far better to have a stronger and better comedy (that is slightly out there and unusual) with a committed cult following than a comedy which has long sold out to a fan base which does not have the commitment or enthusiasm that the boosh fans have.
I'm not having a go at LB's hardcore fans. If they love it they love it and visa versa for the Boosh but I hate the fact that people seem unwilling to criticise a show which has just (in my opinion become increasingly weak) because it would be unfashionable to do so.

Sorry to rant but I just had to say it and it was inspired by a rubbish day at work.
i completely agree with you. I don't find LB funny at all. It is just the same jokes over and over again.

But then that's probably why it's so much more popular that The Boosh. Because the average person won't have to think about why it supposed to be funny.
It's like Catherine Tate as well. Another person i really can't stand. The same jokes over and over again. But again, very popular because it's easy to understand.

The Boosh is more interesting and diverse and a little bit wacky. The average person doesn't get it. Which I like actually, because it means that us Boosh fans are possibly more intelligent and open minded than the average person.
ImageImage

Cheeky Chezzy Woo
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Cheeky Chezzy Woo » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:23 pm

Very true from the pair of you. The average person loves to quote things that everyone will understand. Not just Little Britain or Catherine Tate, but even classic comedies like Only Fools and Horses and i suppose Fawlty Towers could count in a way.

ChubbyTubby
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by ChubbyTubby » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:49 pm

The Boosh is far superior to any of the more established comedies, and is overlooked, which is annoying. But however, I actually quite like the fact it's ignored. I couldn't handle it if it got loads of attention and everyone started raving about it. I like the Boosh community the size that it is, it's nice that way, and whilst I feel their superior talents are un-recognised, maybe if they did get the recognition they deserve, it would ruin part of the appeal. It would spoil the boosh if they started winning every award like Little Britain does, un-noticed and a cult following is the way the Boosh should be. It's not meant to be for everyone, it's wackyness and originality makes it completely different, and if the mainstream loved it like the mainstream lives Little Britain, they would be making the Boosh's humour normal, and that would be just weird.

It does annoy me that piss poor shows like Catherine Tate are hyped up so much, and it frustrates me how much people find them funny, but like you said T-Bird, getting the humour of shows like The Boosh probably does signify a type of intelligence. And sometimes I feel a little bit sorry that other people don't get it, cause it's a great show. People are entitled to like whatever the hell they like, don't get me wrong, if you love Catherine Tate & LB that's your opinion, it just annoys me a bit that some people aren't open minded to other types of humour. There probably are fans of Catherine Tate and Boosh, but there are some people who just stick to one genre. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind mainstream when it's done well, it would just be good if people explored alternative humour as well.
Last edited by ChubbyTubby on Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

T Bird
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by T Bird » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:57 pm

ChubbyTubby wrote:. But however, I actually quite like the fact it's ignored. I couldn't handle it if it got loads of attention and everyone started raving about it. I like the Boosh community the size that it is, it's nice that way, and whilst I feel their superior talents are un-recognised, maybe if they did get the recognition they deserve, it would ruin part of the appeal.
That's how I feel sometimes and it does make me a bit of a twat for thinking it, but I can't help it! :lol:
ImageImage

Cheeky Chezzy Woo
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Cheeky Chezzy Woo » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:58 pm

I feel the same too. Its like our own little thing that goes on behind the backs of the big people :D

T Bird
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by T Bird » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:04 pm

Like a secret kind of club where we can swap quotes, stories and anecdotes that others will not understand!

All we need now is a secret handshake! :lol:
ImageImage

Cheeky Chezzy Woo
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Cheeky Chezzy Woo » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:13 pm

Hee hee, well some of us are established Modwolves now... we don't need a handshake ;) We have passwords for special gigs when they are announced at some stage

Oo are any of you invited to the special Boosh forum party they won £50,000 through Orange? I'm keeping a look out for cancellations for a ticket hopefully... especially as my mate has possibly managered to sneer Eighties Matchbox to Dj for it. I luff her for that

Shell
A Local

Post by Shell » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:50 pm

Totally agreeing LB and Catherine Tate are sooooo repetitive. I prefer Boosh because it actually takes some intelligence to understand. I mean I was sick of the Andy's 'Yeah I know' line by series 2 of LB.

ChubbyTubby
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by ChubbyTubby » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:10 pm

I never got round to joining Modwolves, does anyone know when there'll be other oppurtunities to join?

That's the thing about some catchphrase shows, you just do the same joke over and over again, no effort has to be put into it. That's why I respect shows like LoG and Mighty Boosh because there's alot of creative input and it's very original. I know LoG characters do have catchphrases, but the show could stand without the catchphrases unlike Catherine Tate e.t.c.

krustyx3
Local Shop Owner!

Post by krustyx3 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:36 pm

YAY! People agree with me! I thought I was taking a shot in the dark with that but I love that!

OOh by the way Chez I have not been keeping my eye on the boosh forum for a while and I didn't know there were special codes!! I am panicking now in case I have missed many secret conversations!!

NOOOOOOO :shock: :shock:

ImageImage

Cheeky Chezzy Woo
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Cheeky Chezzy Woo » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:54 pm

krustyx3 wrote:YAY! People agree with me! I thought I was taking a shot in the dark with that but I love that!

OOh by the way Chez I have not been keeping my eye on the boosh forum for a while and I didn't know there were special codes!! I am panicking now in case I have missed many secret conversations!!

NOOOOOOO :shock: :shock:
Did you sign up to be a modwolve to get your patch designed by Noel himself? If you did when you applied there was a bit where you had to put in a password so if they announce special shows for when they do series 3 (mainly in London i am guessing) you can get in at a reduced price/free.

krustyx3
Local Shop Owner!

Post by krustyx3 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:33 pm

oh right. that one! phew! Right, I am with it now!

ImageImage

Cheeky Chezzy Woo
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Cheeky Chezzy Woo » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:44 pm

Yeah thats it hun :). Here's hoping the patches will turn up tomorrow *prays*