Asylum

A place for discussing all of your other humour related interests.

Moderators: Papa's new wife, MrsBeasley, Voodoo Lady, Tracy

ratgirl
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Asylum

Post by ratgirl » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:56 pm

"I am Doctor Lovett... and this is my Asylum!"

What's not to love? Pegg, Stevenson, Wright, Lovett, Barratt, and even the odd appearance from Walliams and Bill Bailey.

One of those Paramount Comedies that was never repeated, the bastards - just like Mash & Peas. Only better. And set in an Asylum. I'm not sure anything could possibly be better!

"Tell me, have you ever been skinned alive and made to breakdance in quicksand...?
"I've been in love with the morbid, ebony-black grotesqueness of the 19th century since I was knee-high to a funeral mute."

Tender_Lumpling
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Tender_Lumpling » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:32 am

I've only seen clips from this as I never had sky or digital or whatever you need for all those channels. It's only recently I've got a freeview box so I could watch the extra BBC channels.

I have missed out on great things. *sad* :(
"How I feel in my mind
And how I live in the world
They are oceans apart"

Cheeky Chezzy Woo
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Cheeky Chezzy Woo » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:06 pm

Like i said in the other post, only ever seen caps and the bits that are shown on the Spaced dvd extras. Does sound and appear to be bloody excellcent.
You're the Christmas, promising the summer

Stonesy
Local Shop Owner!

Post by Stonesy » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:50 pm

Assuming its nowt to do with this;
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068230/
What is it? I've never heard of it.

ratgirl
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by ratgirl » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:44 pm

Nope, nothing to do with the fillum, Stonesy. It's a comedy show that was only shown once EVER on Paramount, as far as we know. And disappeared since then, despite everyone trying their best to get their sticky mitts on it. Until, just now, some wonderful, wonderful person finally put it up on UK Nova!

It's set in an asylum, run by Norman Lovett - all the characters in it have their real names, apart from Jess cos she's greedy and plays two! Simon Pegg turns up as a pizza delivery boy, and can't leave, and spends the rest of his time there trying to work out what's going on. There's some great moments in it, all the cast are genius, and the man who only speaks through random noises (mainly guitar) is hilarious!

If you have uknova, go download it! Not that I do, so I know nothing about the thing... :D
"I've been in love with the morbid, ebony-black grotesqueness of the 19th century since I was knee-high to a funeral mute."

Laura Folds Five
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Laura Folds Five » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:45 pm

It's a series from the 90s, about a bunch of patients in a mental asylum.
With Simon Pegg, Jessica Stevenson, Julian Barratt, Adam Bloom and Norman Lovett.
Finally downloadable from uknova.
It's been like the holy grail for years!

*edit* oops. too slow!

ratgirl
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by ratgirl » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:47 pm

Heh, well, you provided some info I couldn't be bothered to type, so all's well that ends well... :D

Laura Folds Five
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Laura Folds Five » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:54 pm

That's what I'm here for, ma'am! ::salutes::

Lottie
Local Shop Owner!

Post by Lottie » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:39 pm

Oh god I could cry!! I've been dying to see this & cannot get signed up to sodding uknova! Every time I try to sign up it says it's not open for public use ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) Does anyone know how I can get signed up to it?
ImageImage

Laura Folds Five
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Laura Folds Five » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:19 pm

I am Loving the song in the first episode. David Devant is fab.

I know we've all seen it on the Spaced dvd, but Julian saying "humble domino" makes me laugh every time I watch it.

:D

P.S. Lottie, just keep trying, apparently the site has let new people join on and off recently.

VoodooLinzi
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by VoodooLinzi » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:34 pm

My favourite lines so far: "you barmy... twat!" and "I am not Julian. I am just wearing his skin."

The way Barrett says stuff has me cackling my head off. And I was in hysterics at the nativity scene - after 'Mary & Joseph' had a fight with the innkeeper and Jess said "Leave him alone, Simon! He's not worth it!"

Yes, the song from the first episode is FAB, Laura. I want a copy of it!

Lottie
Local Shop Owner!

Post by Lottie » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:39 pm

Laura Folds Five wrote:I am Loving the song in the first episode. David Devant is fab.

I know we've all seen it on the Spaced dvd, but Julian saying "humble domino" makes me laugh every time I watch it.

:D

P.S. Lottie, just keep trying, apparently the site has let new people join on and off recently.
Thanks luv, I will have to keep trying every day til they let me join!
ImageImage

ratgirl
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by ratgirl » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:55 pm

VoodooLinzi wrote:My favourite lines so far: "you barmy... twat!" and "I am not Julian. I am just wearing his skin."
Heh, I want to start telling people I'm not Sarah. And also wishing people hair mistakes! :D
Yes, the song from the first episode is FAB, Laura. I want a copy of it!
I'm sure I used to have some David Devant but can't find any anywhere. Damn! It was ten years ago that I was going to see him at Tunbridge Wells Forum, so...! :lol: I think Shaz has a tape, though. We are pestering her to find it...

Zarniwoop
Distant Relative

Post by Zarniwoop » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:47 am

The Barratt and Stevenson completely steal the show.

I can't stop watching. :D

"Ooh, there you are! I've been waiting for ten minutes!"

ratgirl
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by ratgirl » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:44 pm

I've now watched Asylum three times all the way through and am in love with Julian Barratt.

That's all I have to say. :P