TEDSTOCK - Feb 2007

A place for discussing all of your other humour related interests.

Moderators: Papa's new wife, MrsBeasley, Voodoo Lady, Tracy

T Bird
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by T Bird » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:55 am

THIS IS TONIGHT!!!

I'm so excited! Really can't wait! :D :D
ImageImage

Beast
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Beast » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:46 pm

Arrrgh! Have fun. Repaaart back!
I've got M.E. I'm really tired!!

T Bird
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by T Bird » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:21 pm

I shall be making a full repaaaart back tomorrow, don't you worry!

And hopefully plucking up the courage to send our Richard a message!
ImageImage

Beast
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Beast » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:42 pm

I just wished him good luck for tonight! You must concentrate so you're able to recite all of the Lee and Herring routine plus the solo bits and Kevin Eldon's! :lol: Not really. But a bit would be good!

T Bird
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by T Bird » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:27 pm

Oh God. Have you any idea how absolutely shockingly bad my memory is?

I'll have to take notes so I don't forget! :lol:

I'm really hoping they'll be lots of old school stuff in there. Moon on a stick. AAAAAAAAAAhhhhh! And hoping that Kevin Eldon will not be able to resist a bit of Simon Quinklank or Rod Hull!
ImageImage

Beast
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Beast » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:05 pm

Oh God! I'm sooooo jealous!!!! I bet he does. I bet they do a few 'catchphrases' too. They won't be able to resisit. Arrghhhh! It's not fair! I'm hoping the reaction is so good they reform for a few shows. So get cheering!!

Are you going to try and meet any of them after?

Don't worry about remembering any just enjoy yourself!

Cheeky Chezzy Woo
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Cheeky Chezzy Woo » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:16 pm

Have fun tonight. I know a few people that are going tonight. I wanted to go but decided not to in the end.
You're the Christmas, promising the summer

T Bird
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by T Bird » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:46 am

Are you ready for my huuuuuuuuuuuuge report on last night?? :lol:

Wow. What an amazing night Tedstock was. It was everything I could’ve wanted and more. I’ve not laughed that much for ages.
9 comedians and a slightly mental band. All for £20. What more could you ask for?

The most delightful thing was that Stewart Lee compered the whole thing. And I love him beyond words. He looked distinctly gorgeous (if a little fat) up on the stage in a massive coat, the grey bits of his hair catching the light. Being only 5 rows from the front was great too as it meant he was ever so close to us and we felt like we were right in the thick of it all.
Basically, he introduced the event, and cracked a few jokes (mostly about Jesus and born again Christians “The answer is Jesus, what is the question?” “Complete the following item of essential 70s clothing – the what? sandal”). He is ever so charismatic and sweet. Then he brought on the first act.

The Security Guard (Simon Munnery). This strange man wearing a day-glo hat and shirt, cracking one-liners with a deadpan expression about security guards.
EG. What do you get if you cross a security guard? In trouble!
He proceeded to finish with a list of “Dangerous Things” that included microwave ovens that tell you to put your head in them. Odd but absurdly fun.

Then “Dan Brown” came on stage, who was basically Stewart Lee’s heavily pregnant wife, dressed up as Dan Brown and told jokes in the style of the Da Vinci Code. Also odd.

Then Stew brought on everyone’s favourite Richard Herring (who looked absolutely the Smex in a leather jacket and flowery shirt) who’s whole routine was his first abandoned routine from 1987. It simply consisted of this:
Two men in a pub. One says to the other, “Can I ask you a question?”
“Yeeeeeeeeeeeeshhhhh!”
“Your wife went on holiday last year. Jamaica?”
“No, she went of her own accord.”

Then the same joke with about 30 different places and amusing answers, then some suggestions from the crowd. Silly. Hilarious. Rich looking sweeter and funnier than ever.
The crowd went mental.

Then there was some bloke called Stephen Carlin, who tried his best but the crowd wasn’t really going for it. Bless him for trying though. He did say some stuff about Hitler which was quite funny, so that was something.

Next up was Phil Jupitus – aka Porky the Poet – going back to his stand-up roots reciting some old poetry he used to perform, all of which was dreadful. But that was the point. He did finish on a poem he’d written recently about how much he despises Russell Brand that was pretty funny. I couldn’t get over how massive he is in real life!

Then Josie Long, who was incredibly sweet and funny in a completely kitsch and dorky way. Jokes about going out with Nelly, and Jeremy Irons starting his own professional pressing and laundry service. Must get to see her proper live show one day!

Next up, Simon Amstell, who I was completely overexcited about seeing. He is so cute!! He’s so geeky and awkward but it really works. He told jokes about wheelchair Barbie, and Jeremy Beadle, and finished off with some things about Richard Pryor and my favourite joke of the night: “Some people think Jimmy Carr is funny. Now imagine him on fire…”
Just want to ruffle his hair.

Then Simon Munnery was back as Alan Parker. Shouting like a loon and running around the auditorium, wanting us to Make Poverty History by banning the word Poverty. I love this guy. He’s so bizarre.

Then came Lee and Herring, together again after 8 years apart on the stage. The crowd went berserk. I went berserk. It was obvious that this is what we had all really had come to see.
They started off with that god awful Mac/PC advert.
“I’m a Mac” says Stewart Lee
“I’m a PC” says Richard Herring
The repeat the whole advert then Richard goes off into one about Mitchell and Webb selling out, and how it should’ve been them. He’s not been on TV for 8 years! It should’ve been them!

After that they did some classic old material.
The mayfly and how if it can find a mate and reproduce in its life span of a few hours, why can’t Richard find one in 39 years?
How a gnat’s chuff is literally as tight as a gnat’s chuff.
Who’s the sick one? Richard and his sleeping with business man for money in order to procure flies, have sex with them then masturbate over their corpses? Or the business man in his suit and tie?
And of course, Stew, you want the moon on a stick!
The crowd cheered and whooped and screamed with laughter, as did Lee and Herring themselves, mocking the fact that they can’t even get a DVD release let alone talking dolls and tshirts.
Maurice Mitchener also got a little mention.
Absolute genius.

Finally, it was Ted Chippington himself (who the show was all for) who did 10 mins of his own stand up, which was totally bizarre and crazy. Half jokes that don’t have punch lines. Strange observations. Tell you one thing; I couldn’t have watched a whole hour of him!

Then the band (the Nightingales) came out and did a song with Ted while Lee and Herring kind of stood in the wings dancing. It was a very, very odd finish to a great night.

It was a shame that Kevin Eldon wasn't there (he's in a west end play at the moment) and Robin Ince also didn't show but it didn't matter. It was all so fab!
ImageImage

Beast
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Beast » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:26 pm

Argh!! Fab. Sounds so great. I would have wanted it to just be all Lee, Herring or Lee and Herring but it sounds fantastic anyway. I'm so glad the crowd went mad. Maybe they'll grant my wish and reform and tour. I wish I could have been there to hear all the old catchphrases. So glad they seemed like they had an amazing time too!

Stew's wife is preggers? Who is she anyway? Where has she come from? I heard about her from his newsletter but it came out of the blue for me. And now she's pregnant?

Shame about Kevin. Nevermind. Think they more than made up for it!

Thanks for the report and remembering bits for me so I can pretend I was there in my mind! :D

T Bird
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by T Bird » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:39 pm

It's such a shame that you couldn't go Beast. You really would've loved it.
I sat with my little notebook, writing stuff down in the intervals so that I could report fully back to you today! :lol:

It would've been so much better if it had been all Lee, Herring or Lee and Herring, but they kept saying over and over that it wasn't going to happen which is a real shame. I think they could tell that the audience really wants them to though. So who knows? maybe they will!

well apparently Stewart Lee's wife is Bridget Christie and she's a comedienne herself. Personally I didn't think she was that funny but then I seem to have problems with female comics anyway.
ImageImage

Beast
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Beast » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:42 pm

Aw! That's so sweet! Keep an eye on Rich's blog in the next couple of days to see what he thought of it. Are you going to message him now?! You should! I'm tempted to and call for a reunion but I feel like a stalker.

T Bird
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by T Bird » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:58 pm

I sent both him and Stew a message. I freaked out a little cos Richard was online as I sent it to him.

I'm really really hoping he replies!!

Go on! Message him. I'm sure he loves the attention!
ImageImage

Beast
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Beast » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:10 pm

Let me know if he replies and what he says! It might take a day or two. I will restrain myself! I do love Stew too but I was disappointed with his dvd and when I saw Rich he was brilliant so I've fixated on him recently. I might message Stew at some point.

T Bird
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by T Bird » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:15 pm

Stew isn't as innately funny as Richard I must say, but I can't help but love him. He's so gentle and sweet and a little bit mean. Plus he has THE HAIR!!

ImageImage

Beast
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Beast » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:06 pm

Ooh it's like how it used to be. What's that from? Gentle and sweet?! :shock: Really?

Perhaps we should move over to the Lee and Herring thread as this is a bit OT now?