Dead Set - Charlie Brooker horror series

A place for discussing all of your other humour related interests.

Moderators: Papa's new wife, MrsBeasley, Voodoo Lady, Tracy

Postby miss denton » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:38 pm

The 2nd episode was brilliant :P Can't wait for tonight :)
miss denton
Local Shop Owner!

Postby a1tiptop » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:08 pm

I would genuinely have loved this. But my Sky Plus is busted and deletes all programmes every night. The DVD is out soon though isn't it?
And I'll stay here till the trail's cold and return again with my meaty gold
You want it! You can't get enough of Hilary Briss and his special stuff...
a1tiptop
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Cheeky Chezzy Woo » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:21 pm

Next week i believe i read :).
You're the Christmas, promising the summer
Cheeky Chezzy Woo
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby miss denton » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:48 am

Loved the last episode. So bleak. I knew there wouldn't be a happy ending as it was written by Chalie brooker. Loved the Day of the Dead reference with Patrick. I will proberly buy the dvd.

Just because i love Eldon :P *sigh* Even though he turned out to be a sod in the end I think he's been husband off though.
miss denton
Local Shop Owner!

Postby Papa's new wife » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:27 am

Wonderfully bleak and scarier by the second.
What a brilliant series. So well written and (mainly) acted.

I read on another forum that people were complaining about the group going crazy and letting the zombies into the compound.
Well you know what? It's a likely ending. People go crazy under that much pressure. It's that scary moment of self destruction when you're feeling so helpless and half crazed with fear.
I could totally see it happening.

I was almost sick at the gutting of tache man. I knew it was coming, it is an essential part of a zombie thing to have it included. But it was so horribly realistic, just so revolting that I almost couldn't take it.
What's wrong with me?! I used to laugh at gore and not mind, but now it affects me.
"You got me confused with the other Angel. You know, the one in the dirty trenchcoat. The one who's in love with you"

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Laura Folds Five » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:26 pm

Aw...
Maybe you're pregnant. ;)

I LOVED producer man in the end!
He was soo based on Brooker himself, some of the angry/hilarious stuff he was coming out with was pure Brooker.

I loved when he was cutting the bloke up, and pulled out a bit: 'don't even know what that is'. :lol: :lol:

The Winstone girl was good too.

Ace all round!
Laura Folds Five
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby a1tiptop » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:19 pm

I both both liked it and didn't like it. I loved the bleakness, the gore, the horror and the depressing ending. But it was a triumph of style over substance. Great writing, characters and special effects but what was it actually trying to *say*? I didn't quite get it in terms of plot. It just made me feel at bit "what was the point in that" at the end. Can someone explain to me what the point was?
a1tiptop
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Cheeky Chezzy Woo » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:16 pm

Me and Emma (the lady you thought was awesome for liking sing along...?!) were disappointed by the ending. I thought there was going to be a bit of a twist and she was going to fight her way through the zombies and be the only one alive. I did however like her staring at the camera though
You're the Christmas, promising the summer
Cheeky Chezzy Woo
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Dead Set

Postby alex » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:49 pm

I found it all too familiar i'm afraid. Done well - if all a bit choppy with the endless restless camera syndrome - but ultimately haven't we seen this a thousand times, just minus Davina and the less than attractive prospect of made - up "Big Brother "contestants? Brooker is a loather of reality TV, but this only added more airtime to it than damn it. Gervais had more to "say" (if that is indeed the point of making TV programmes - I don't know, is it? )about BB in his Christmas Special of "Extras".
alex
Distant Relative

Postby Papa's new wife » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:15 pm

Cheeky Chezzy Woo wrote:Me and Emma (the lady you thought was awesome for liking sing along...?!) were disappointed by the ending. I thought there was going to be a bit of a twist and she was going to fight her way through the zombies and be the only one alive. I did however like her staring at the camera though

To me, that was the only way it could have ended, apart from having the Army come in at the end and save them.
With a zombie (ok not named as zombie but then horror never really names zombies as zombies) plague then there isn't really a way out. If it's a small breakout you could keep it contained, but a larger one? you're screwed. If you manage to hole up and live without being attacked then you're very lucky, but you'll be waiting for the zombies to all rot away.
God I take this seriously *laughs*
The Zombie Survival Guide is all about this - its by Max Brooks and any zombie fans should get a copy. It's so silly :lol:

alex wrote:I found it all too familiar i'm afraid. Done well - if all a bit choppy with the endless restless camera syndrome - but ultimately haven't we seen this a thousand times, just minus Davina and the less than attractive prospect of made - up "Big Brother "contestants? Brooker is a loather of reality TV, but this only added more airtime to it than damn it. Gervais had more to "say" (if that is indeed the point of making TV programmes - I don't know, is it? )about BB in his Christmas Special of "Extras".

I was thinking about how to do an original zombie film. It's kinda hard to come up with something that hasn't been done. Plus I'm hungover to hell and can't think straight ha ha!
I'm not a fan of running zombies. Yes it is really scary having them run, you know they won't get tired so the only way they'll stop chasing you is if their limbs fall off - so unlikely! Just the shuffling and moaning zombies make me so scared.

Brooker is actually good friends with Aislyne (I cannot spell her name) from Big Brother, and I suspect he'd watch BB even if he didn't have to write about it. Yes Dead Set trashed the series, insulted and pissed up the idea, I just think that like many people (myself included) who hate it, we also kinda like it and watch it secretly :lol:
"You got me confused with the other Angel. You know, the one in the dirty trenchcoat. The one who's in love with you"

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby a1tiptop » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:26 am

I pretty much agree with what alex says there. It felt like Charlie Brooker didn't really have anything to *say* about Zombies and the genre, whereas Gervais DID.

And yeah, Chez, it left me pretty hollow (and yay for Dr Horrible's Sing Along Blog fans!)
a1tiptop
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby TucBiscuit » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:43 am

I don't have a tv, so watched it all on catch-up yesterday.

I love Big Brother, love zombies and I read Heat magazine (and I don't mind admitting it) so for me it was a pure delight. I thought it was a great twist on the standard zombie format. It used the claustrophobia of the house to great effect, and the idea that the one place in the country with zero privacy actually became a safe haven.

Davina was great! I'm sure it was direction rather than her choice, but she was so mindlessly relentless it was quite terrifying. The last zombies you want to be around are media zombies, right? They're so tenacious. Being a BB fan added another dimension - spotting all the old housemates at the beginning, and, "It's only Brian!"

And I had no idea Andy Nyman was an actor! I know he had a tiny cameo in series 3, but I thought that was because he was a friend of Jeremy's. I only know him through his work with Derren Brown. It was a revealation, blimey he was good! I had to look away during the entrails scene though- too much, too much.

I knew how it would end when they realised it was actually worse in France. Once it's gone global it's hard to work out who could possibly rescue you. The gates wouldn't have held up to the zombies for long enough anyway, even without the cabin fever/ betrayal of the housemates.

I'm not sure that horror screened over Halloween needs to say anything new. Put it in a quintessentially British setting, miles away (in tone) from Shaun of the Dead, give it a topping of black humour and you have an original piece. Although if you really wanted to reach for a meaning, you could argue that it shows the ultimate aim of celebrity culture is to devour those we set up to watch :lol:
TucBiscuit
Distant Relative

Postby a1tiptop » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:20 pm

TucBiscuit wrote:Although if you really wanted to reach for a meaning, you could argue that it shows the ultimate aim of celebrity culture is to devour those we set up to watch :lol:

He he he. Nice.

Although I must say that watching it all as one show rather than lots of little half hours probably gives the piece more impact? They just should have done that in the first place.
a1tiptop
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby TucBiscuit » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:19 pm

The episodic format was probably meant for "normal" people who 1) have televisions and other things to watch and 2) have lives :) Also, there were less opportunities for adverts in a one-off (and none at all on catch up!) But I really appreciated the impact, yes.
TucBiscuit
Distant Relative

Postby Laura Folds Five » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:36 pm

Wow, nice post, TucBiscuit!

The end did leave me a tiny bit let down, as I too was expecting Brooker to say something new or provide some unexpected twist. But that's my problem, not his. It was fine (fantastic even) without one.

I actually half wanted her to axe her own head off in the diary room at the very end, realising it was all pointless.
Laura Folds Five
Mayor of Royston Vasey

PreviousNext

Return to More Comedy