Dead Set - Charlie Brooker horror series

A place for discussing all of your other humour related interests.

Moderators: Papa's new wife, MrsBeasley, Voodoo Lady, Tracy

Postby a1tiptop » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:19 pm

Laura Folds Five wrote:I actually half wanted her to axe her own head off in the diary room at the very end, realising it was all pointless.

I would have been happy with that! :D
And I'll stay here till the trail's cold and return again with my meaty gold
You want it! You can't get enough of Hilary Briss and his special stuff...
a1tiptop
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Beast » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:37 pm

Am just in the middle of watching this online. Loving it! Have to say though that I am finding it quite hard to take Kevin as a serious actor in it. Not that he isn't good, just that it feels weird to me. The guy who plays Marky looks really familiar. Was he is some kids thing when he was younger? And I love the actress playing the woman who came to the garage. Wasn't she in The Last Train (I think it was called)? I loved that too!
I've got M.E. I'm really tired!!
Beast
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby a1tiptop » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:10 pm

Ooo, I loved The Last Train too! I wonder if she was in that?

Also, I totally know what you mean about Kevin Eldon.
a1tiptop
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Son of Tubbs returns! » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:11 pm

The Last Train was brilliant! I'm holding out for a DVD release!
Son of Tubbs returns!
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Beast » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:18 pm

Just finished watching and wow, I loved it! It doesn't really have to say anything. It's entertainment (for Halloween) but with the added dimension of a satire on reality tv. I think it was missing nothing.

I love happy endings but I find that I love bleak ones too as in my favourite novel 1984. It affects you so much more. It didn't add up to me though that the zombies were attracted to the BB House. Why would they be? Although I'm guessing this was a comment on how everyone loves reality tv and everyone wants to be in the BB house/famous. (Generalising obviously.)

When Last Train woman got bit on the arm why didn't they just chop her arm off since I'm assuming it worked like a disease and got in the blood to kill you like other zombie things I've seen. They had an axe! I suppose she would die from loss of blood but if it was me I think maybe I would have tried it rather than give in to death. You'd have to be so brave though! Eek! Patrick's death was a bit ridiculous. Everyone else died almost instantly but he's still alive and talking while he's being torn apart!? Funny though. Abusing them as they ate him!

If it was me I would have stayed in the safe house and BB house respectively. If that many people had been turned ie almost everyone, surely soon the zombies would have nothing left to eat and die, if they can die from starvation. In the houses they had food etc. Sit it out. You have no other choice really cos you have no chance trying to escape and anyway where is there to go?

Anyways, I loved it! :D
Beast
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Papa's new wife » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:45 pm

Zombies are attracted to sound, so if they heard the BB contestants, then they'd flock.
Plus there would have been a whole bunch of them, all the people ready for the eviction, the staff, the contestants etc... so that's why the place was surrounded by the undead.

When bitten by a zombie, you can't just cut off the arm, that's it, you're going to die and become one of them. I think the woman bitten by the lock was just braver than most, understanding she was doomed and so best to kill her before she became dangerous.

Yes I am a zombie obsessive *laughs*
"You got me confused with the other Angel. You know, the one in the dirty trenchcoat. The one who's in love with you"

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Beast » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:52 pm

But why would they hear them, especially from so far away as behind the gates? They all flocked to the gates. More and more kept coming. Unless the big screen was still on and projecting sound out. The people at the eviction were mostly inside the compound already - the ones he was picking off with the shotgun.

She wasn't in The Last Train. She was in Bad Girls! Slightly different. :lol:
Beast
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Papa's new wife » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:00 pm

I read a thing by Simon Pegg, talking about Dead Set, I'll try and find it, it makes more sense than me.
I think the big crowd around the compound was saying that "the mindless flock to Big Brother" - no difference between the zombies and crowds of idiots who clamour at the gates on eviction day.

I think if there had been other survivors outside and the zombies had heard them, they'd have all run off after them, but everyone else was zombiefied/eaten so the zombies (being mindless) just congregated. What else was there to do?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zombie-Survival ... 604&sr=8-1

Honestly, if you like zombies at all, buy this :D

EDIT: Here is Simon Pegg's view on Dead Set and running zombies
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/nov/04/television-simon-pegg-dead-set
"You got me confused with the other Angel. You know, the one in the dirty trenchcoat. The one who's in love with you"

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Cheeky Chezzy Woo » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:26 pm

Thanks for that hun. He did make a good point. I prefer slow walking zombies, more scary like that
You're the Christmas, promising the summer
Cheeky Chezzy Woo
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Beast » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:12 pm

Papa's new wife wrote:I read a thing by Simon Pegg, talking about Dead Set, I'll try and find it, it makes more sense than me.
I think the big crowd around the compound was saying that "the mindless flock to Big Brother" - no difference between the zombies and crowds of idiots who clamour at the gates on eviction day.

A variation on what I suggested I think.

Thanks for the article. I agree. Overall I prefer the slow zombie but I have to admit the running ones create a much more intense fear for me!
Beast
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby miss denton » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:02 pm

Simon Pegg posted Charlie Brooker's response to his article and posted this on his blog:

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... =447789309
miss denton
Local Shop Owner!

Postby Pam Doove: Olivier winner » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:56 pm

Thanks for posting those articles, I can see both points of view. I have a preference or maybe it's nostalgia for the slow zombie but thought the fast ones worked in Dead Set, they added to the tension and the fact that they were half hour eps kept the pace going. I've now bought the DVD so when I watch the 2 1/2 hours together I might long for the lumbering zombie of old.
Spare not the women, harvest them like tin.
Pam Doove: Olivier winner
Local Shop Owner!

Postby a1tiptop » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:54 pm

miss denton wrote:Simon Pegg posted Charlie Brooker's response to his article and posted this on his blog:

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... =447789309

I love Charlie Brooker. I crush on him so hard. I love this argument - it's got great heart behind it. Simon and Charlie obviously really respect each other.
a1tiptop
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Beast » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:31 pm

Yeah. It's nice that. And they both have valid points, argued well. :)

I have to admit that although I've heard of him I know nothing about Charlie but if he can make programmes like this I like him!
Beast
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby a1tiptop » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:57 pm

Charlie Brooker does a show on BBC Four called Screenwipe. It's not currently playing but I'm sure someone will say when it's back on. I think there's some of it on Youtube.
a1tiptop
Mayor of Royston Vasey

PreviousNext

Return to More Comedy