How I Met Your Mother

A place for discussing all of your other humour related interests.

Moderators: Papa's new wife, MrsBeasley, Voodoo Lady, Tracy

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey
Location: The Hogwarts Kitchen, helping Hermione make S.P.E.W badges

Re: How I Met Your Mother

Post by Voodoo Lady » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:27 am

Yaaaaay! It really is a brilliant show.

Astrid, are you current? I pissed myself laughing at Marshall's fantasy about the UPS delivery girl! How much could I relate?! Hahahahhahaha!

astrid
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by astrid » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:11 am

Voodoo Lady wrote:Yaaaaay! It really is a brilliant show.

Astrid, are you current? I pissed myself laughing at Marshall's fantasy about the UPS delivery girl! How much could I relate?! Hahahahhahaha!

Oh I'm current baby! No way I could wait. Loved it all so far. I was almost tempted to Waavvvvffff Stripper Lily! In fact I think I will!

Axxxxxxxxxx
ImageImage

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Voodoo Lady » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:45 am

Woot for being caught up and woot for marriage! :lol:

I love the show still, of course, but I have to admit that I feel like this season isn't quite up to par for me so far. I'm chuckling at most jokes, laughing at a few, but otherwise...something's missing. I can't quite put my finger on it. It's only been a few episodes, though so I'm by no means passing ultimate judgment. I only say this in the interest of fairness and honest reporting. It certainly doesn't help that Big Bang theory (which has traditionally preceded HIMYM) has been utterly *brilliant* and very guffaw-worthy, which may be outshining HIMYM's natural glow. Still, it's HIMYM, and even not-up-to-par HIMYM is better than most everything on television today (imho). Can't wait to see what else is due this season! :D

=cracks whip=

astrid
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by astrid » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:35 pm

Yip. I know what you mean. It's still fun but not quite top form yet. The latest episode had some top quality Barney moments in it though! He, Lily and Marshal really are the best thing about it.

Ax
ImageImage

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Voodoo Lady » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:58 pm

Definitely!

I think part of the issue for me is this whole Ted-turned-professor thing. It just feels so out of character for him, and I think makes him feel old and settled. Part of his charm was the fact that he was sort of optimistically blundering his way through things, and now he feels significantly less...optimistically blundery. Even when he lectured the wrong class, that felt forced, like the writers were trying to inject some of the original Ted back into this new, prematurely "grown up", character. Plus I feel they sold him short by having him throw in the towel on his dreams so easily. "Uh, I tried to be a proper architect for, like, five minutes and it was well hard!" :roll:

Robin, too, seems to suddenly lack some of her pizazz. She seems to be there as a foil for the others, rather than as a character in her own right. Part of me wonders if the PTB are actively trying to make her and Ted's characters more "grown up", but I think the way they're doing it is counter to the original message of the show, which is that growing up and getting older doesn't mean getting boring and stuffy and giving up on the things you love. This is why everyone loves Lily and Marshall so much! They're the most grown up and responsible of the bunch, and at the same time, the biggest kids of them all! What's more, they don't feel the need to change that. They'll be 80 and still have the same spirit they do today.

But anyway, we're only a few episodes in. Other seasons have had their rocky moments and have pulled through just fine. Here's trusting the current one will do the same! =hopeful for series improvement five!=

astrid
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by astrid » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:18 am

I agree

For me, I'm not a fan of Ted, I've never been a fan of Ted. He annoys me with his "Dad" ways. I know that he is supposed to be a dork but adding the Prof title in just makes him more annoying to me. The wanky building talk. He makes me cringe too much for me to find him really funny. He's my least favourite character. Robin is being sorta under used IMO. Hopefully that will get sorted out. Like you said, Lily and Marshall seem to be more rounded. Still enjoying it. Here's hoping it snowballs into comedy gold. I really wonder what they are going to be about introducing the mother.

E4 seems to be running through episodes kind wuick so wondering if the new series will be on soon.

Ax
ImageImage

astrid
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by astrid » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:46 pm

Season end...Awwwwww.
I heart this show so much.
She' tell me your thoughts.
ImageImage

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Voodoo Lady » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:57 pm

Still loving so, SO much. Some of the changes I don't like, but meh, whatever. I think Ted got buried for a while, but he's back now, although I still think it's dumb that he just gave up his dream in order to be a boring professor. And I want to kick Don in the nards. Hard. (Hey, that rhymed!) I don't want Lily and Marshall to have a baby, either. It will totally split the group, and if it doesn't, they will still be forced to slow down and not be quite their same funky selves. The humor will skew to family jokes instead of being about young (mostly) singles and such. At least that's my fear, anyhow.

I do love that my brother and I still salute every time someone say something like, "It was a major pain!" =salute= "Major Pain." And I occasionally have the impulse to do a shot whenever someone says, "But, um..." :lol:

astrid
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by astrid » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:38 pm

I agree with all you said.

Especially fecking *beep* Don, I hate him. He's awful, the character has nothing appealing what so ever and he aint even hot. Why oh why would she be with him? Ted is my least favourite but it's good to see him back in the game. How funny was blonde Ted? Tee hee - "he looks like amovie star".
Barney has my heart obviously. I loved all the doubles. NPH really does rock. I have only ever watched one episode of Glee and that was simply because Whedon did it and NPH was in it (plus one of my wives).

Any way, I'm major excited for the next season *Major excited* (going to SO start doing that again too).

I'm curious as to where the baby thing is going to go. Will they make them have problems getting pregnant. Will this lead to many scenes of "must have sex right now for top baby making chances"? If they do get a bun in the oven how will that reflect in the group. No hanging in the bar etc etc?

Axxxxxxxxxx
ImageImage

astrid
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by astrid » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:21 pm

So She' what are you thinking of the series so far?
ImageImage

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Voodoo Lady » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:39 pm

Loving completely. More on that later, as I'm getting ready to head out, but LOVING it!

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Voodoo Lady » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:59 pm

Last night's episode was brilliant on multiple levels. Not only was it super funny, like always, but the use of numbers was truly clever. My brother, nephew, and I all noticed that numbers seemed to be everywhere, but we didn't put it together until they got to 9. That's when we realized it was a countdown, and we laughed and pointed as each successive number popped up, congratulating ourselves on catching the inside "joke", and marveling at the awesomeness of it. Then it got to number one, and I don't think I've ever heard a room go so quiet so quickly. Our high spirits made Lily's news even more of a kick in the gut. It was truly, truly brilliant. After the episode ended and we'd taken a few minutes to wonder at it, post-game wrap up stylee, we had to rewatch it from the beginning so we could play "spot the numbers". :lol:

astrid
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by astrid » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:29 am

Voodoo Lady wrote:Last night's episode was brilliant on multiple levels. Not only was it super funny, like always, but the use of numbers was truly clever. My brother, nephew, and I all noticed that numbers seemed to be everywhere, but we didn't put it together until they got to 9. That's when we realized it was a countdown, and we laughed and pointed as each successive number popped up, congratulating ourselves on catching the inside "joke", and marveling at the awesomeness of it. Then it got to number one, and I don't think I've ever heard a room go so quiet so quickly. Our high spirits made Lily's news even more of a kick in the gut. It was truly, truly brilliant. After the episode ended and we'd taken a few minutes to wonder at it, post-game wrap up stylee, we had to rewatch it from the beginning so we could play "spot the numbers". :lol:
There seems to be a big hoopla about this episode online. It would a appear that many people didn't like the sad ending to it. I can't help but be confused about that? I mean sitcoms can have darker moments from time to time.
I'm still totally loving this series and yes part of me wants Ted to finally meet the "Mother" but as long as they still keep making episodes like this one I just want them to go on and on.
ImageImage

astrid
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by astrid » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:13 pm

Anyone still watching?
ImageImage

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Voodoo Lady » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:54 pm

I am. Must admit it's taken some really stupid turns of late, though. I find myself yelling at the show more than laughing at it. :/