Life's Too Short

A place for discussing all of your other humour related interests.

Moderators: Papa's new wife, MrsBeasley, Voodoo Lady, Tracy

Life's Too Short

Postby Voodoo Lady » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:44 am

Anyone watch this? It's the new show from Ricky Gervais starring Warwick Davis. Hysterical! I laughed through the whole things, even missed some of the jokes. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend checking it out. I believe it's available on iplayer.

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Location: The Hogwarts Kitchen, helping Hermione make S.P.E.W badges

Re: Life's Too Short

Postby Papa's new wife » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:21 pm

I watched it but didn't find it funny until Liam Neeson popped up. That part had me shrieking with laughter.
The rest? I found clichéd and a bit obvious.
Maybe I'll enjoy the next episode more? Hope so.
"You got me confused with the other Angel. You know, the one in the dirty trenchcoat. The one who's in love with you"

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Voodoo Lady » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:17 pm

As much as I love Warwick, I do have to admit that there were times when it felt like he was doing a Ricky Gervais impression, albeit a really natural one. I can understand why maybe it seemed cliched and obvious. Some of the plot points were unsurprising, but I just loved some of the stupidity that came out of Warwick's mouth. To hear him talking about dwarfs in terms of, "a fat one, a skinny one..., one with hair...we've got all types" had me howling, especially knowing he's SO not like that.

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Papa's new wife » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:49 pm

Anticipating the flak Life's Too Short (BBC2) might provoke and opting to get his revenge in first, Ricky Gervais last week announced that he embraced the haters. After last night's first episode, it's not the haters Gervais need worry about. It's the thoroughly indifferent. The problem with this new series is not that it's offensive; it's that it's just not very funny. It took over eight minutes to raise the first smile - Warwick Davis falling out of the 4x4 - and the only real laugh came near the end when Liam Neeson tried to pitch a standup routine about Aids.

That is from a review written in The Guardian and it's exactly how I felt. I really didn't laugh until he fell out his car. Just went meh to most of it.
"You got me confused with the other Angel. You know, the one in the dirty trenchcoat. The one who's in love with you"

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Voodoo Lady » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:56 pm

Aw, that's too bad. :( Well, here's hoping it picks up, then.

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Papa's new wife » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:29 pm

Yes, I hope it picks up cos there is too little comedy on telly at the moment and it just means that I will sit at my computer and watch 8 episodes of Supernatural in a row and go insane :lol:

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Voodoo Lady » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:02 pm

A'reeet, I rewatched it with my brother and his mate, and I have come more to your side of things. I still think it starts out brilliantly, and that there are some nice jokes throughout, but there were some scenes I'd just plain forgotten about which dragged painfully. That whole bit with his accountant, for example. Arg, boring!

Again, crossing fingers for episode two!

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Voodoo Lady » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:14 am

Okay, I begrudgingly agree that it sucks. I'm halfway through episode 2, and not a chuckle. I adore Warwick, we have friends in common, and I wanted this to be his big mainstream breakout moment. Sadly, I must concede that Ricky missed the mark on this one. :cry:

P.S. Warwick is still great, and I stand by that. Just...maybe a different show.

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Voodoo Lady » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:37 pm

At the prompting of friends, I went back and watched most of the series again (still have the last episode to go), and it turns out I really enjoyed it. Key to finding episode 2 funny is to not watch while drunk off your face, I found. :lol: It's not my favorite show ever, but it's got some funny moments. And as is typical for me with Gervais' docu-comedies, I don't always have to be chuckling to enjoy them. My final consensus: Amusing, but not for everyone.

REALLY looking forward to more Derek. I saw the pilot, and it's quite possibly the best thing Ricky has done. I laughed and cried through the entire thing, and I don't think the stupid grin left my face once.

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Return to More Comedy