Red Dwarf

A place for discussing all of your other humour related interests.

Moderators: Papa's new wife, MrsBeasley, Voodoo Lady, Tracy

What's your favorite series of Red Dwarf?

Series I
5%
Series II
9%
Series III
14%
Series IV
11%
Series V
30%
Series VI
20%
Series VII
9%
Series VIII
2%

Total votes: 44

sam
Local Shop Owner!

Post by sam » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:28 am

Anyone go and meet the cast yesterday?
What, what??

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Papa's new wife » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:48 pm

Work has eaten my life at the moment so sadly I wasn't able to go :(

I've just read a review and um... it's not very positive for the first show, not at all.
It apparently gets better for the 2nd.
MAN I'm hoping that the review isn't worth listening to, and the reviewer spells Cat as 'Kat' which surely means they don't know RD very well. Please?
"You got me confused with the other Angel. You know, the one in the dirty trenchcoat. The one who's in love with you"

MrsBeasley
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by MrsBeasley » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:57 pm

Must be Katie, anyone who has watched RD would know its 'Cat'
"I don't know that I share your view"

Son of Tubbs returns!
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Son of Tubbs returns! » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:05 pm

I'm really looking forward to this, and it's clearly been made on the cheap but that never stopped the original early series being really funny.

It's just good to see it back.....

Kate,I agree, if they spell cat, as Kat they clearly know Jack Shit about it.

I now take no notice of reviews,it's best to form your own opinion.

Actually aren't reviews a waste of time anyway? It's only someones opinion based on their taste!

Beast
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Beast » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:35 pm

Oh dear. I didn't reallly like it. It definitely picked up half way through so I'm hoping it just suffered from being a three-parter. But it wasn't funny. And had those little moments of naffness that I now remember from the last series and upsets me so much because of how great it used to be. It suffered from no laughter track, seeming more like a drama, although if it had been funny I don't suppose it would have mattered as much. I hope it picks up, although I won't be getting to see the other episodes, but watching the classic eps after, it just didn't compare. It wasn't awful but it wasn't good unfortunately. :(
I've got M.E. I'm really tired!!

Viper
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Viper » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:49 am

I have absolutely no idea what to think. I'm stunned. It was 100% not what I was expecting from the Dave channel, of all things. How can some cr*ppy channel like that make a more daring Red Dwarf than the BBC?

I just couldn't get over the lack of audience laughter. It made it a completely different Red Dwarf, even though it was still Red Dwarf through and through. It felt grim, really grim. Like a sci-fi show about hopeless losers trapped in space.

Which I suppose is what RD is, really.

And if you ask me which RD I want: season seven and eight RD, glossy and happy and aiming to please everyone, or this...I'd choose this. It felt...real, almost.

I'm scared of it. I think I liked it, but I'll have to see the other parts to be able to tell. I want to say that I felt that essence that the books captured- beyond comedy and into something bleak and terrible- but it's too early.

I found a few moments funny, but I don't know if I found them funny because they echoed classic Dwarf or because they were funny moments:

We'll need lasers, diving bells, blasters, spears...and something for me to read while you're all down there.

My bowels if you keep shouting like that.

Rimmer ranting that he doesn't want to see them splodged across his viewscreen.

Bit crap.

Play "what's in the bag".

More than anything, though, Craig Charles and Chris Barrie nailed every single line, every bit of Rimmer and Lister- they were made to play those roles. Danny John-Jules over-egged it, though. And I miss the way Robert Lewellyn used to play Kryten: very very dry, just gently inserting himself into conversations, making fine points so carefully.

I agree , Beast, that it wasn't quite...good, exactly. But I don't think it had any of this:
moments of naffness
It was bleak, man. Bleak.
Hello my darling it's me again. Where are you?

It could get funnier if we keep doing it.

http://themightycharlottestein.blogspot.com/

sam
Local Shop Owner!

Post by sam » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:13 am

I liked it.

I was worried from the clips I'd seen previously that it would be full of crap jokes, but I laughed through most of it (or maybe I just like crap jokes...). I thought it was funny. Can't wait for part 2. :D

Thought the guys had brilliant chemistry again, there wasn't any strain in their acting, they looked like they were enjoying it.
Loved Rimmers danicing :lol:

Although I thought I wouldn't like the new hologram, she was funny too, like the interactions between her and Rimmer.
The new sets are quite nice too.
What, what??

Beast
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Beast » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:27 pm

What I mean by naffness is Danny's face when he was looking out the window. I don't know if I can explain it but pulling a stupid face is not funny. Perhaps I'm being harsh. Cat does sometimes do that I suppose.

I agree it was bleak and in a way that's good but in the past it's been bleak as well as being funny. It is a comedy. For me this episode was rarely funny. Being bleak and funny is a massive talent. You have to get the balance right. I think it tried which is great but I just think it suffered from lack of laughter track. Which is a weird thing to say since I'm not a massive fan of them generally. Maybe it's just having grown up with it having one that made it hard for it not to this time? :?
I've got M.E. I'm really tired!!

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Papa's new wife » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:44 pm

My immediate reaction was that it was crap.
Then a few minutes later I reconsidered and actually, it wasn't nearly as bad as I'd thought.

It#'s weird, I normally hate a laughter track, I hate being told 'when' to laugh and a laughter track often distracts me. BUT I really missed it last night. It just felt wrong and empty.
BUT then I read Viper's post and actually, yes, it should be bleak, it should feel scary and alone and desolate and grey, it's space 3 million years away and there is bugger all left apart from your crewmates driving you insane.
But then again, if you want it bleak and silent then don't do a comedy. And if you have no laughter track you have to up the jokes to a level when I'm gonna laugh loudly like I do series 1-6, where I still laugh loudly.
If you can't do jokes that funny and end up with series 7&8 quality then for God's sake put the laughter track back in.

The plot was ok and I kinda liked the new Hologram (though yes, how can the computer support 2 Holograms especially 2 Hard Light ones when Rimmer used to have to resort to soft light most of the time to save run time etc??) she was funny and I had been dreading her. my Mum got it right when she said it was about 4 blokes in space. No women, it ruins it (and it has been ruined. Kochanski. UGH!). But she worked, though I'm scared she'll end up with Rimmer and make him more Ace like (UGH!).
Mind you, is she real? It wouldn't surprise me if she wasn't, this is Dwarf.

The characterisation.
Ii found it way off. Rimmer wasn't Rimmer of old, the sad awkward bastard. Though, having said this I refuse to watch series 8 again and he may have been just like this in that (wasn't he human in that? So complete bastard series 1 meany?)
Some of his facial movements and ticks made me feel queasy and revolted. (Thank God for Quarantine repeated later, Rimmer had his mojo in that one).

Lister wasn't really Lister, I dunno, it was almost like he'd lost his feelings for the character and hadn't cared as he once did. I guess it's hard playing a soap character 24/7 and then going into a part but I had read he was actually just like Lister so to forget?

Cat - over the top and bordering on annoying.

Kryten, needs a little smack and a pile of laundery
:lol:

I want to watch all three episodes as one when it's shown again on monday, I think it will flow better. Fingers crossed.
"You got me confused with the other Angel. You know, the one in the dirty trenchcoat. The one who's in love with you"

Son of Tubbs returns!
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Son of Tubbs returns! » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:23 pm

I have only seen first episode so, this is only based on that one.

Ok, main thing was no audience/laughter track. It suffered.I don't think this was less funny per se but a laughter track does help kind of indicate what is funny and heightens the funniness of something.

There were genuine Dwarf moments. The opening Bunk scenes, very old classic Dwarf.

Even though the budget was miniscule, I thought the sets were excellent, and the effects ( esp when lister is at KK gave in the observation area) not bad.

I think it suffered from NOT having Holly.Apparantly Norman Lovett was involved and then, because of lack of money, dropped, which he isn't happy about and vowed NEVER to be RD again which is sad.

Craig Charles looked like he was just going through the motions, maybe he was tired trying to juggle 2 roles.I mean if this does go to a series again,I suspect he will have to choose, which series he wants to do and I suspect corrie will win, but I digress.

Chris Barrie, seemed to have forgotton how to play the part and was at odds with all his other performances and anyway, wasn't he alive at end of series 8? ( though thia can easily be explained away, I guess).

DJJ was fine, had some classic cat lines.

Robert Llwellyn - did a great job and slipped back in to the role the best of all of them.Some great Kryten lines!

I thought the diction of the Hologram women was awful and couldn't understand what she was saying half the time!

Seemed very odd to have a break in Red Dwarf and it would be better watched as a whole rather than three parts which I shall do on monday.

It wasn't awful, but there is something about it I just can't put my finger on that isn't right. I think it was a worthwhile exercise and I hope they do more and Kudos for GNP for doing it as well on so little money and Dave for doing it all. The BBC weren't interested!

I think what it really needs is Rob Grant back, as clearly he was the funny half of the duo.

I will wait with baited breath to see part 2 and 3.

Viper
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Viper » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:37 pm

What I mean by naffness is Danny's face when he was looking out the window.
Yeah, bebes, I getcha. I can see where you're coming from. But I suppose my RD naffnes richter scale is still set to the earth collapsing quakes (to me) of series 7 and 8, so it's harder for me to read (that sort of) naffness in this new one. It's not doing Krytie TV and Happy Period Day.

I can live with it.
I agree it was bleak and in a way that's good but in the past it's been bleak as well as being funny.
Yeah, I agree on this. It isn't as funny and bleak at the same time as, say, Quarantine. Which is an awful episode, when you really think about it. He almost suffocates his crewmates because he's been infected with insanity. Jesus it sounds bleak when you put it like that!

And then comes the King of the Potato people, one of the single best set-up and well written gags of ALL TIME.

But then, nothing is as funny and bleak at the same time as Quarantine, or Back To Reality. Nothing I've ever seen before or since. I won't expect new RD to achieve the height of BTR, which despite the fact that I was a very mature thirteen year old girl, completely convinced me that they had really been playing a game all along on its first broadcast. I was devastated.
I just think it suffered from lack of laughter track.
It's an adjustment all right. But I felt v. foolish when I said to hubby that I wondered if that's what was missing, and he turned to me and said- I don't need to be told where to laugh. Usually I'm the snotty one! He had to point that out to me! He was v. pleased with himself, I tell ya. Cheeky goit.
Then a few minutes later I reconsidered and actually, it wasn't nearly as bad as I'd thought.
A lot of people are saying that on second watch and after some consideration, it grows on you. I think it's just so different. I find it very hard to adjust to. It's not like any RD that's been on before.

But I wonder if in years to come, it will be better thought of- like the switch from series 2 to series 3.
And if you have no laughter track you have to up the jokes to a level when I'm gonna laugh loudly like I do series 1-6, where I still laugh loudly.
Great point. Take that, hubby!
though yes, how can the computer support 2 Holograms especially 2 Hard Light ones when Rimmer used to have to resort to soft light most of the time to save run time etc??)
This is the bit. The one that gave me RD book-shivers. There wasn't just no answer, after all- she just evaded him. I think that's going somewhere.
Mind you, is she real? It wouldn't surprise me if she wasn't, this is Dwarf.
My thoughts exactly.
Rimmer had his mojo in that one
He's never going to have his old mojo, though. He's seven hundred years old! But when he said in tonight's episode about the washing hands- that's Rimmer to me. And so many of his lines he just punted and walked away from- no mugging, no hamminess.

Yes. Please.

I'm not used to RD dropping gags and the audience having to catch up with them, after the hammer it home every time of season 7 and 8. And it's especially weird without the laugh track.
Lister wasn't really Lister, I dunno, it was almost like he'd lost his feelings for the character and hadn't cared as he once did.
I disagree with this sooo hard. So hard. For all my reservations about the new shows, Craig Charles is more Lister than he's ever been for me. This is a Lister who really could have lived in Bedford Falls and then come around gutted that it wasn't real. It's as close as I'm going to get to that, I fear.

ETA: stuff to clarify how mixed up about these shows I still am. I don't know if I'm being too hard on them because they're just so different, or if I'm being too soft on them because at least it's RD and it isn't like 7 and 8.
Hello my darling it's me again. Where are you?

It could get funnier if we keep doing it.

http://themightycharlottestein.blogspot.com/

sam
Local Shop Owner!

Post by sam » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:21 am

Ok I liked the frist part, but it totally lost me last night.
I'll put this in small for people who haven't seen the 2nd part yet...
Maybe if I hadn't seen the League movie I would have enjoyed it better.
Just feels like the idea of characters trying to meet their makers has been done by too many sitcoms already. Felt a bit of a cop out last night.
There were still some funny moments, Rimmer pushing Hologram 2 (can't remember her name) into the traffic was VERY funny! :lol:
It just fell a bit flat to be honest which is sad, I really wanted to love all of it. I will miss the last part tonight so will have to catch up tomorrow, hopefully the last part will make up for the so-so middle. :?
What, what??

Shell
A Local

Post by Shell » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:30 pm

Too true, what a cop out. Sooo many similarities to LOGA- surely someone on the team must have noticed the similarities between the two plots and told Doug. I spent most of that part just going noooooooo at the TV. Having said that thought the reference to Warhammer and pushing the woman under the bus was highly amusing.

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Papa's new wife » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:14 pm

What is up with it being Blade Runner?
It's not just me noticing it's actively copying Blade Runner is it?
Cat leaving behind origami (unicorns in the Director's cut), the snake scale, the zooming in of the photo, mentioning Blade Runner, the nose guy (a prosthetic eye guy in the film).

Have I missed summat? Is this supposed to be hilarious?

Oh yes, and I noticed this during watching the opening credits on friday, the whole smashing through glasses whilst running.

EDIT: And I guess them all not being real is Blade Runner, they're replicants.

WTF?

Son of Tubbs returns!
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Son of Tubbs returns! » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:25 pm

No, it is really trying to be BR.

It has also pinched the LOFGA hasn't it?

I'm kind suspecting a Back to Reality of ending.

Incidentally, all the fans over on offical forum, hate it.