Red Dwarf

A place for discussing all of your other humour related interests.

Moderators: Papa's new wife, MrsBeasley, Voodoo Lady, Tracy

What's your favorite series of Red Dwarf?

Series I
5%
Series II
9%
Series III
14%
Series IV
11%
Series V
30%
Series VI
20%
Series VII
9%
Series VIII
2%

Total votes: 44

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Papa's new wife » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:41 pm

It's almost too sad to post.
Just utter drivel. Boring, cringeworthy script and ideas, terrible terrible ending that should never have happened. Dwarf always seemed clever and twisty in a great and out of the blue way, this was just pathetic. Simply pathetic.

I gave up watching for the last few minutes (and got rather distracted by summat) because that is how terrible it was.

And the Blade Runner crap was old by the end of the 2nd episode, the 3rd was just ... I don't think there's a word for how bad it was.

They took the premise of Back to Reality and LOGA, put it in a blender, sieved it up until they were left with the crap and used that as an idea.
:(
"You got me confused with the other Angel. You know, the one in the dirty trenchcoat. The one who's in love with you"

Viper
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Viper » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:17 pm

Well, fooled again eh, Red Dwarf? Not only did you do this idea once before, but you managed to pull it off again and still fool nearly everyone.

In fact, I think I only saw one person after yesterday putting forward the idea that it was a variation on the despair squid. And I didn't even believe it then.

I don't know whether to give you kudos or not. You did Polymorph twice, so I probably should. You weren't as funny as you once were, but everyone knows Grant's the really funny one. And when it comes down to it, You were last great so many, many years ago that I could never expect you to be that again.

But I'm glad I got to see you one more time.
Hello my darling it's me again. Where are you?

It could get funnier if we keep doing it.

http://themightycharlottestein.blogspot.com/

Son of Tubbs returns!
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Son of Tubbs returns! » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:22 pm

I enjoyed it, but the whole thing just seemed a bit flat and contrived. There were genuine flashes of classic Dwarf there but sadly they were few and far between

Viper is right, we need Rob Grant back. I'm glad they made though.

Viper
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Viper » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:36 pm

I'm glad they made though.
Overall, I am too. Personally I think Dave deserves a massive pat on the back for doing this. They took a real risk, stuck their necks out- for what could have been no return at all. And they very obviously let Doug Naylor do whatever he wanted- including making a Dwarf that wasn't exactly a comedy.

Personally, now, I think the rubbish comedy of 7 and 8 can be directly explained by Doug Naylor trying too hard. I was glad, in a way, that he stopped. If he ever did make The Last Human, I don't want gags crowbarred in there.

But obviously people won't like it as much if that's the case. I suppose it boils down to: can you accept a Red Dwarf with as much strange melancholy as the ending of this one had?

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Papa's new wife » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:42 pm

Viper wrote:I suppose it boils down to: can you accept a Red Dwarf with as much strange melancholy as the ending of this one had?
I was so put off by the poor story and the Blade Runner crap that I found the ending lost any impact it might have had. If this had been made during series 5 then I'd have cried, but I found myself wanting to put a boot through the screen. Despite having an hour and a half it seemed rushed and all over the place. This also highlights just why Back to Reality was such an amazing episode, that they managed to fit the whole concept and execution into half an hour.

After the first episode I thought it was going to get better, but it just got worse.
I wish I enjoyed it like you and SOTR :(
"You got me confused with the other Angel. You know, the one in the dirty trenchcoat. The one who's in love with you"

Viper
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Viper » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:05 pm

I wish I enjoyed it like you and SOTR
I don't know if I did enjoy it, hon. I have some of the same reservations you have- it just wasn't that funny. It was far too rushed and the ad breaks crushed the tension. And if it had ended with them having really travelled to earth and blah-di-bloo, I would have been massively irritated with the story, too. If they ever get back to earth, I wanted one of two things: garbage planet (as in the books), or Better Than Life- where they gradually realise it isn't real, and Lister doesn't want to leave.

It genuinely upset me when he didn't want to go. I found it even more upsetting that the cheesy kids were really Lister's subconscious, telling him what he didn't want to know/did really want to know- that Kochanski just dumped him. And how much they all wanted to be loved and needed- so much so that they hallucinate a world in which they have a fan club.

But it's what RD has always been about: that ultimately, it's their own failings and issues that hold them back and stop them being happy. RD comes back so often to the idea of inner lives affecting outer, sometimes in monstrous fleshy ways: Better Than Life, Back To Reality, Rimmerworld, Me2, Confidence and Paranoia, Polymorph, Camille, Terraform.

I'm glad that they did that again.

Son of Tubbs returns!
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Son of Tubbs returns! » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:03 am

I too am not sure I liked it. I didn't hate it.I felt compelled to watch it to the end.

I'm in two minds about it. I need to watch t from start to end again to make my mind up. I will e doing that today.

miss denton
Local Shop Owner!

Post by miss denton » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:46 am

Son of Tubbs returns! wrote:I enjoyed it, but the whole thing just seemed a bit flat and contrived. There were genuine flashes of classic Dwarf there but sadly they were few and far between
I agree with this.

I did like it but it just lacked classic Dwarf. I liked the fight with the squid in the first episode. I really didn't like the female hologram ( even though i do like Sophie Winlemen as an actress). I think i cheered when Rimmer pushed her in front of that car.I miss Holly :(

Beast
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Beast » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:15 pm

Well I haven't seen the other two eps but I read a synopsis where it sounded like LOGA and just went 'Nooooooooo!' and now you guys say it was rubbish. I feel sad. Although obviously I'd like to judge for myself.

I was thinking about Doug Naylor earlier and you have to give him props for carrying on when Rob left and despite the generally bad quality, I was glad it continued and so I assume I'll feel the same about these eps too. But all this talk of, and seeing some, old ones had really reminded me (not that I really needed it) just how imaginative and actual genius most (series 1-6) episodes were and how really that's amazing when you think about it. It will always be in my heart and I'm greatful for it. :lol: How sappy and stupid does that sound? You know what I mean though. :)
I've got M.E. I'm really tired!!

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey
Location: The Hogwarts Kitchen, helping Hermione make S.P.E.W badges

Re: Red Dwarf

Post by Voodoo Lady » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:04 am

Finally getting around to watching Back to Earth. It's horrible. Absolutely shit. Worse than the last couple of bowel movements they passed off as series, imho. Apologies to anyone out there who liked it (I haven't read everyone's reviews yet), but for my part, I don't know if I can stomach finishing the second part, it's that bad. It's not funny, it's lost all sense of subtlety, the writing is anything but clever, the jokes broadcast themselves a mile away, they've thrown in new and contradictory ideas without bothering to explain how they're possible, and the premise...gee, let me think of where I've seen THAT done recently...*cough*Apocalypse*cough*. And done correctly and cleverly, might I add. Unlike this unfunny, uninteresting piece of wank. I may finish watching, if only to give it the chance to change my super low opinion, but at this point that would be a gargantuan task. I've already wasted 45 minutes of my life; do I dare risk another 45? :roll:

Beast
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Beast » Thu May 07, 2009 1:39 pm

I don't know if people are aware or interested in this:

http://massiveevents.co.uk/betterthanlife/index.php

Found whilst looking at the Hallowhedon site.

Son of Tubbs returns!
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Son of Tubbs returns! » Thu May 07, 2009 4:39 pm

I'm going to that convention! You going Beast? I've been to another convention at that Hotel it's lovely.

Plus Katie and I are going to the Hallowhedon thing if you are thinking about it Kat?

Beast
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Beast » Thu May 07, 2009 4:55 pm

I'd like to go to both but would choose Hallowhedon if I could. I probably won't be able to because of money but will reassess it later. I expect it will sell-out before then though.

Son of Tubbs returns!
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Son of Tubbs returns! » Thu May 07, 2009 5:04 pm

Ohh, well at least if you decide you wanted to go, you would at least know someone there!

miss denton
Local Shop Owner!

Post by miss denton » Thu May 07, 2009 7:31 pm

Ah poo. Would have loved to go to this but i'm going to see my cousin's band play in Lewisham that weekend :(. Take lots of pictures Paul.