Reece in one-off ITV1 comedy 'The Abbey'

Come here to discuss the latest official news postings and keep track of what the Gents are up to right now.

Moderators: Papa's new wife, MrsBeasley, Voodoo Lady, Tracy, papalazarou

Postby a1tiptop » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:58 am

Yes, I think it might make a series. It depends on the ratings doesn't it? It couldn't fail though, slotted right after the Brits.

If this were something made in obscurity on a satellite channel or something, I bet we'd all be giving it another chance. I think a lot of our disappointment came from too high expectations. Shame!
And I'll stay here till the trail's cold and return again with my meaty gold
You want it! You can't get enough of Hilary Briss and his special stuff...
a1tiptop
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Viewing figures for The Abbey

Postby Geoff Tipps' Joke Writer » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:24 pm

From MediaGuardian today:-

ITV1's Thursday night comedy zone fell off a ratings cliff with Liza Tarbuck comedy drama Bonkers and Johnny Vegas sitcom Benidorm losing a combined 3 million viewers.
Bonkers was comprehensively beaten by the return of Tamzin Outhwaite drama Hotel Babylon to BBC1, which had 5.4m viewers, a quarter of the audience.

Bonkers, which also stars Mark Addy and Lynda Bellingham, averaged 2.8m viewers last night, just one in eight of the audience, according to unofficial overnight figures.

The third part of six scheduled episodes, it was down from 4.2m last week and 4.9m for its opening episode two weeks ago.

Holiday sitcom Benidorm has also suffered, despite a cast that includes Vegas and the League of Gentlemen's Steve Pemberton. Benidorm averaged 3.6m viewers last night - an 18% share of the audience - down from 4.5m viewers last night and 5.3m two weeks ago.

It comes a day after another new ITV1 sitcom, The Abbey, could only manage 2.1m viewers at 10pm on Wednesday night. Morwenna Banks' comedy pilot, starring Russell Brand, Omid Djalilik, Marti Pellow and Reece Shearsmith, coincidentally also from the League of Gentlemen, slipped to just 1.8m for its second 15 minutes.

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

I don't think I would have watched the second half if it hadn't been for Reece being in it ...

Viewing figures for 'Benidorm' (& Bonkers) have also fallen off (although this is usually the case for many series...)

I think Steve and Reece are deserving of far better than these ITV projects ( they both SHONE IN THEIR ROLES & I think 'Benidorm' does have a few good moments...) Although their talent means they can enliven and improve even poorly written material, they DESERVE SO MUCH BETTER than the scripts they were given to work with in both these ITV projects. Its a case of sitcoms relying on the actors rather than the scripts...

When are ITV just going to face up to the fact that they can't do comedy (apart from 'Rising Damp') and especially comedy for BBC2/Channel 4 audiences...
Last edited by Geoff Tipps' Joke Writer on Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Have we missed the cakes?
Geoff Tipps' Joke Writer
Local Shop Owner!

Re: Viewing figures for The Abbey

Postby a1tiptop » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:08 pm

Geoff Tipps' Joke Writer wrote:'The Abbey' only got 2.1m & that fell to 1.8m after the ad break :(

Anyone know what viewing figures The Brits got? It would be interesting to compare.

I still think that a mainstream channel like ITV1 is not the natural home for alternative comedy. BBC2/Channel 4 perhaps. But for pilots like this, satellite channels such as BBC Three or ITV2 are better testing grounds.
a1tiptop
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Papa's new wife » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:17 pm

ITV's viewing figures have been slipping for a while, and according to 'those in the know' it's kinda in crisis. Unless ITV have a footie or other sporting event that the BBC haven't got, or it's Corrie or Emmerdale, they are REALLY struggling.

I dont' think The Abbey was as bad as some people are saying. Sure it wasn't very good, but it certainly wasn't some of the shite BBC3 churns out, like 3 Non Blondes or 2 Pints of Lager etc...
Both of those two programs I actually felt were so bad they offended me.
"You got me confused with the other Angel. You know, the one in the dirty trenchcoat. The one who's in love with you"

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Geoff Tipps' Joke Writer » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:36 pm

Totally agree 'Two Pints of Lager & a packet of Crisps' is awful & BBC3 just keep churning them out. How many series of it has there been now - about 14?! :wink: :shock: Its never off the BBC3 schedules. :(

I think the negative reaction to The Abbey (apart from the fact that it just wasn't very good) was because our expectations were raised due to the quality of the cast & the fact that Baby Cow produced it...
Have we missed the cakes?
Geoff Tipps' Joke Writer
Local Shop Owner!

Postby a1tiptop » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:39 pm

Chortle says of the Brits:

"Around 5.3million viewers watched the show, according to overnight ratings."

So The Abbey lost a big chunk of that!
a1tiptop
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Papa's new wife » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:50 pm

Maybe Liam Gallagher's almost tone deaf wailings turned people off? *laughs*
"You got me confused with the other Angel. You know, the one in the dirty trenchcoat. The one who's in love with you"

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby MrsBeasley » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:08 pm

Papa's new wife wrote:Maybe Liam Gallagher's almost tone deaf wailings turned people off? *laughs*

That's possible.
I wonder what will happen with it, If it is getting made into a series hopefully we'll hear soon
"I don't know that I share your view"
MrsBeasley
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Papa's new wife » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:39 pm

If anyone has UKNOVA and wants to see those talked about Russell Brand episodes that were much discussed, then run now!

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby cupid stunt » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:29 pm

According to IMDB The Abbey will be released this summer? So I'm guessing it's being made, however Shearsmith is not listed in the cast.
To me it's one of those shows that had great potential and a good cast (I was quite impressed with Russell Brand as I normally find him annoying), but it's ruined by shoddy writing.
cupid stunt
Local Shop Owner!

Postby MrsBeasley » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:08 am

This flagged up in a Marti Pellow interview from today. Looks like the abbey is definately being made into a series...but with reece & which other gent??

Marti Pellow, who famously battled heroin addiction in the late Nineties, is set to star in a new comedy drama series.

The Abbey, written by Morwenna Banks is based loosely on the celebrity rehab centre The Priory.

Marti said: "She's just finished writing the series and I play her husband in it, a jaded rock star. I'm in it with Russell Brand and a couple of people from the League Of Gentlemen."

interesting...
"I don't know that I share your view"
MrsBeasley
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby sam » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:14 am

So Russells in it?? Then the series is saved for me. Shame I can't stand most of the other cast. Save for Reece obviously..
What, what??
sam
Local Shop Owner!

Postby Tubby Little Titwitch » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:17 am

Ooh, intriguing! Even though I'm quite surprised it had made a series, if there are two Gents in it it will be a must-watch.

I just hope to god that it gets into it's stride a bit more than the other one did, because there were parts in that that were just awful. :x I'll keep fingers crossed for it!

If I were a moth I'd smash myself against your body.
Tubby Little Titwitch
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby a1tiptop » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:01 pm

So is it Pemberton or Gatiss, in it with Reece? I'm thinking it's Steve! Shall we take bets?
a1tiptop
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Tubby Little Titwitch » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:01 am

I bet it's Steve, I can't see it being Mark's sort of thing really. No period costumes/skirts/time travel etc.

A tenner on Mr Pemberton my good man!

If I were a moth I'd smash myself against your body.
Tubby Little Titwitch
Mayor of Royston Vasey

PreviousNext

Return to Royston Vasey - Press Office