Reece in one-off ITV1 comedy 'The Abbey'

Come here to discuss the latest official news postings and keep track of what the Gents are up to right now.

Moderators: Papa's new wife, MrsBeasley, Voodoo Lady, Tracy, papalazarou

Postby MrsBeasley » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:31 pm

Papa's new wife wrote:OK, who else is far too excited about this.

God what is wrong with me? :( (and the clip I saw on fecking Loose Women yesterday did not bode well)

I am! Yeah the clip on loose women wasn't particularly promising was it

Beast wrote:Richard Arnold reviewed it on GMTV but unfortunately I didn't really hear what he thought.

He said it was patchy :(

I'm worried that it really is a one-off from what the the tv guide says. But then why is it so well promoted? They must be thinking of a series or why bother?

Well the daily record said it was a pilot but everything else I've read/seen says its a one-off. But I was thinking the same thing, it seems heavily promoted for a one-off.

Ah well at least we get some new Reece material!
"I don't know that I share your view"
MrsBeasley
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Beast » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:07 pm

Indeed! :)
I've got M.E. I'm really tired!!
Beast
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Papa's new wife » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:41 pm

Ok.

1. UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH REECE.
Honestly, his lips just get more and more biteable, and I think he did well with a shitty small role.
And that pic of him and the Monkey made me do an insane laugh.
I won't comment further, I can't be objective cos I just lusted.

2. Russell Brand. REALLY impressed with him. I never expected anything was rather surprised. I bet he's gonna be in lerds of stuff now (must not fancy him)

3. Morwenna Banks. I really felt bad for her, thought she was pretty bloody awful. And the script was crappy too.

Hmmmmmm, it was ok. Some bits were far superior. Omjid (cannot spell at all) was alright, his character was too much of a characture, some bits were dire. Liz Smith's character was threadbare and cringe worthy.
"You got me confused with the other Angel. You know, the one in the dirty trenchcoat. The one who's in love with you"

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Cheeky Chezzy Woo » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:45 pm

I just wrote in the tv thread what i thought. Reece looked good for those 2 brief moments i saw him and i missed this monkey thing or whatever it was.

YouHooTube i think in a couple of days.
You're the Christmas, promising the summer
Cheeky Chezzy Woo
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Judee Levinson » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:09 am

I was expecting more from this, but I think the cast did well with the material given. But let's face it, Reece was by far the best thing in it. :wink: I agree PNW, Morwenna was shockingly bad.
ImageImage
Judee Levinson
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Location: Frolicing in the park with Pierre, throwing Flip flops in a haphazard fashion

Postby Cazza Lazarou » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:29 am

Yeah, I'd agree with comments so far....

Reece was OK but he didn't have much to work with- he was more straight man to the other 'quirky' characters. He wasn't anything special though.

Liz Smith is so much better than her part in this; the young girl bullimic role was obvious and lazily written; Omid, well he's quite a likeable stand up, and is hilarious in Black Books...but his role in this was rubbish. They were just all a big bunch of 'quirky' comic cliches.

Papa's new wife wrote:3. Morwenna Banks. I really felt bad for her, thought she was pretty bloody awful. And the script was crappy too.

Yep, which is ironic, and a shame considering she wrote it!! I'm glad that a woman writer is getting a pilot, but it ain't no Nighty Night and she CERTAINLY ain't no Julia!! (But she's great in Catterick...meh)

I'd say that Russell Brand was the best thing in it!! I was very impressed. The man can act- he really played it down, and was convincing...I'd like to see how he got on with a better script and a role that was a little more removed from his real self...if you know what I mean!

I did want to see how/if the characters developed though...more to see if they got any better than because I really liked them though.
Cazza Lazarou
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby MrsBeasley » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:49 am

Yeah I agree with everyone. I was actually surprised by how crap I thought it was.
But Reece was good as always & I thought Russell was good.
"I don't know that I share your view"
MrsBeasley
Mayor of Royston Vasey

The Abbey - awful waste of Reece & Russell Brand

Postby Geoff Tipps' Joke Writer » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:10 am

I thought that 'The Abbey' was very poor indeed and wasted the talents of Reece, Russell Brand & Liz Smith :(

Basically the problem was the script...if that's not good then its very hard for even the most talented performers to make it work. Uneven & shambolic, every character was cliched & underwritten. :( It didn't help that the pilot was less than 25 minutes long - meaning no time for any depth or any sort - & the subject matter called for depth & some darkness!

Its only good points were some of the acting talent involved - namely Reece, Russell Brand & Liz Smith.

Reece had absolutely nothing to work with - he was barely in it for a start (about three small scenes) & the character so sketchily written as to be non-existent. That his performance (along with Russell Brand's) was the only memorable & positive aspect of the whole thing says alot about his skills as an actor which were utterly wasted!

Apart from Reece, I have to say I was really impressed with Russell Brand's performance - subtle and understated. The only scene where the characters interacted in a convincing & credible way was the scene between Reece and Russell.

Liz Smith was in it even less than Reece...terrible waste of a great actress :(

Reece and Russell gave the most restrained & low key performances - & were the only good thing about this shoddy vanity project for Morwenna Banks (a good actress but not, from last night's evidence, even a mediocre writer. Reece can write better material in his sleep than the stuff he and the other actors had to work with)

The show was mainly centred around Morwenna Banks and Omid Djalili with Reece, Russell et al reduced to cameo roles. Banks and Djalili gave terrible, unrestrained performances. :shock: Reece & Russell were a breath of fresh air as they didn't try for the laughs & attempted to make their characters exist on a more naturalistic level.

There was not enough even half decent material in this pilot to sustain an anorexic sparrow. If this is made into a series then I'm the junkie lovechild of Pete Doherty & Kate Moss.

Very disappointing considering some of the talent involved...Reece, Russell and Liz Smith deserve so much better! :( :( :( :(

Last edited by Geoff Tipps' Joke Writer on Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Have we missed the cakes?
Geoff Tipps' Joke Writer
Local Shop Owner!

Postby Beast » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:36 am

Yeah it was pretty rubbish but I enjoyed it anyway! I don't know why! The characters were far too broad apart from a couple already stated. I suppose I enjoyed it because I love most of the actors. Have to say though how can that be a one-off?!!! Nothing happened! It just ended. Must be a pilot! Must be! Otherwise it was pointless.
I've got M.E. I'm really tired!!
Beast
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby a1tiptop » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:44 am

I totally echo what most of you have said. Disappointing and badly written. Russell Brand was by far the best one in it.

Does anyone think it'll be picked up for a proper series?
And I'll stay here till the trail's cold and return again with my meaty gold
You want it! You can't get enough of Hilary Briss and his special stuff...
a1tiptop
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby sam » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:23 pm

Personally I would be very surprised if this gets commisioned for a series. If it wasn't for Reece and Russell who were fab (although there wasn't enough of them), I would have pulled me eyes out and stuck them on forks! Thank God for the sexy scene between Russ and Reece. The two main characters who owned the clinic were just rubbish!!! They could have given Liz Smith a better character too, and the other two were just pointless. (end of rant) :roll: I agree that Russell was the best in this. Needed more Reece. :wink:
sam
Local Shop Owner!

Postby Papa's new wife » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:28 pm

I need a pic of the pic of Reece and the monkey! If anyone gets one I'd love you very much.

And yes Sam, thank GOD for the sexual tension between Reece and Russell............ *fans self*
"You got me confused with the other Angel. You know, the one in the dirty trenchcoat. The one who's in love with you"

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby tori_louise » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:23 pm

I too was quite dissapointed by 'The Abbey'. I was really willing for it to be good as i'm a fan of Morwenna Banks, and plus it's always nice to see a good, funny script written by a woman.

Russell Brand was brilliant and was the highlight of the show for me. He really proved what fantastic acting ability he has and that's he's more than just this huge characterisation of himself. I'm glad he played the role straight and didn't let his personality interfer.

Reece of course was fantastic as always, but I should probably save the perving for Reece's Pieces! God that man just gets hotter and hotter!
tori_louise

Postby Laura Folds Five » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:11 pm

Everyone liked Russell! Yay.

I wouldn't be surprised if it did get a series - seeing as there are so many bad ones made.

I ended up watching it twice (mainly to see Russell's sex noise after he snorted the gas from the squeezy cream) and it improved a bit on a second watch. Also, the episodes might concentrate on one or two characters each if it continued and that might improve it a bit. Am I being too optimistic?
Laura Folds Five
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Tubby Little Titwitch » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:22 pm

Pretty much agree with the opinions so far - pretty awful barring Reece (OBVIOUSLY! :wink: ) and Russell. I was surprised by him, having only seen him do standup/presenting before and seeing the shouty, loud side of him. I must say I was very impressed.

And Reece was good, especially considering the very limited material he had to work with.

Still, if the trend of rubbish comedy at the momnt is anything to go by it'll get a series. :roll:

If I were a moth I'd smash myself against your body.
Tubby Little Titwitch
Mayor of Royston Vasey

PreviousNext

Return to Royston Vasey - Press Office