'The Cottage' - Reece is one of the leads in new film

Come here to discuss the latest official news postings and keep track of what the Gents are up to right now.

Moderators: Papa's new wife, MrsBeasley, Voodoo Lady, Tracy, papalazarou

Postby Geoff Tipps' Joke Writer » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:22 pm

It certainly looks very, very, very good! The audience loved the trailer!
Have we missed the cakes?
Geoff Tipps' Joke Writer
Local Shop Owner!

Recording 'The Cottage' score

Postby Geoff Tipps' Joke Writer » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:04 pm

For everyone who's interested, here's a video of the recording session of 'The Cottage' score (that Reece seemed so pleased about, as mentioned in his recent blog) that has been posted up on YouTube by the film's director Paul Andrew Williams.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sJgmTZ0-FWg
Geoff Tipps' Joke Writer
Local Shop Owner!

'The Cottage' - release date?

Postby Geoff Tipps' Joke Writer » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:43 pm

'The Cottage' is scheduled for release on 14th March next year according to the film's director Paul Andrew Williams on IMDb website.

The Pathe Films website has a selection of stills from the film...

www.pathe.co.uk/

I've put in the link but it might not work. If it doesn't just put Pathe Films or Pathe.co.uk in Google and it should come up.

Then click on Coming Soon then on The Cottage and then on Stills...there are about six stills from the film.
Geoff Tipps' Joke Writer
Local Shop Owner!

Postby MrsBeasley » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:07 pm

I think they've just killed my lustings a little :(

But hopefully he'll do a lot of promotion for it :D
"I don't know that I share your view"
MrsBeasley
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Screening of The Cottage

Postby Juliet Bravo » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:59 pm

Well I had the good fortune of attending the screening of "The Cottage" on sunday morning at the Curzon theatre in the west end. Oh my goodness... what a great film. Andy Serkis and Reece work so well together - and I think actually it is the best performance Reece has ever given. The film itself is horrific, funny and ultimately very moving... it is so strange and surprising. I don't want to say much about it really - it demands to be watched with as little spoilt as possible. But the audience really responded to it. Reece is unrecognisable in it - he looks so much older... but that just shows what a great actor he is. Its not a flattering part. But he is funny and subtle and brings so much to the role. Jennifer Ellison is surprisingly good too - and I actually met the director who was lovely. I saw Reece at the end but didn't approach him as he looked very serious and rather distracted! But at leat his hair was back!!
Juliet Bravo
Outsider

Postby Geoff Tipps' Joke Writer » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:55 pm

'The Cottage' sounds fantastic. Thank you Juliet Bravo for your report about this special preview screening last Sunday.

I was lucky enough to see a prolonged preview trailer at Frightfest back in August and can only echo what she says about the film (from what I saw of it) & Reece's performance.
Last edited by Geoff Tipps' Joke Writer on Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Geoff Tipps' Joke Writer
Local Shop Owner!

Poster now online

Postby Juliet Bravo » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:09 am

The poster is available to see at www.pathe.co.uk - looks good![/img]
Juliet Bravo
Outsider

Re: Poster now online

Postby miss denton » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:42 pm

Juliet Bravo wrote:The poster is available to see at www.pathe.co.uk - looks good![/img]

I really want to see this. Looks really good. Don't now if i can wait till march!Thanks for the link Juliet Bravo.
miss denton
Local Shop Owner!

Media screening of 'The Cottage'...

Postby Geoff Tipps' Joke Writer » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:52 am

I were very lucky to attend a media screening of 'The Cottage' on Tuesday, thanks to a very kind contact. I took a friend along who was very keen to see the film as well (they are a big fan of The League too & as she had missed seeing Reece in a performance of 'The Producers' in Cardiff she was due to go to cos she was ill I thought I'd make up for it by getting her a ticket to this preview screening)

Anyway, it's a great film, full of twists and turns - an exhilarating 90 minutes.

The film takes an original and unusual approach for a horror film which contains some very gory elements in that there is so much emotional investment in the main characters. Its this which makes the film stand out. There is an emotional depth that makes you care about them and what happens to them, especially in the relationship between the two brothers played by Reece and Andy Serkis.

All the cast are excellent but Reece is truly outstanding - a very funny, wimpish, likeable, pathetic, vulnerable almost tragic character. He really does hold the film together - it's a brilliantly subtle and multilayered performance. He brings so much to the role, not only comedically, but emotionally too.

The Cottage is a superb mix of comedy and horror with a set of great characters at the heart of it. You care about them and the circumstances that have brought them together. Much of the comedy comes from the interaction between the central characters and how they react to the ever worsening situation they find themselves thrust into. There is some very impressive gore as well and a real sense of sadness at the heart of the film. Its brilliantly scripted and superbly directed.

It's just a great film, not just a great horror-comedy film.

Both Reece and the film's director Paul Andrew Williams were at the screening. I'm so pleased Ellie (the friend who went with me) got to talk to Reece cos I know she really wanted to after not managing to at the Phoenix Cinema event.

I really wanted to speak to him, to congratulate him on the film and his performance, but I was just too scared. :(

Anyway, I hope we can support this film and Reece and all go to see it when it comes out in March. He really does shine in the film!
Last edited by Geoff Tipps' Joke Writer on Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Geoff Tipps' Joke Writer
Local Shop Owner!

Postby a1tiptop » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:28 pm

I'm so glad you and Ellie enjoyed the film, Debs. I must say, the gore makes me very happy so I'll be first in line with my ticket.

However, is this film going to be on general distribution? Even the Gents film didn't get showed in the multiplex nearest to me. :(
And I'll stay here till the trail's cold and return again with my meaty gold
You want it! You can't get enough of Hilary Briss and his special stuff...
a1tiptop
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Geoff Tipps' Joke Writer » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:29 am

Sorry don't know Tara. Its a small budget film - Pathe are the distributors...I don't know what that means in terms of general distribution though.

Its 'world premiere' is at the Glasgow Film Festival as part of Frightfest on 23rd February.
Geoff Tipps' Joke Writer
Local Shop Owner!

Postby MrsBeasley » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:49 pm

You can watch the trailer for 'the cottage' here

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=21873
"I don't know that I share your view"
MrsBeasley
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Papa's new wife » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:04 pm

I'm not sure I'm lookign forward to thisS
To start with there is my utter loathing of Jennifer Ellison. Her scouse whine and her inflatable boobs make me want to bomb Liverpool more than ever, and... well modern gore flicks have mostly disappointed me.
Gore for gores sake and total and utter denigradation (That's not an actual word is it *laughs*) of women simply to get a pair of tits on screen.
"You got me confused with the other Angel. You know, the one in the dirty trenchcoat. The one who's in love with you"

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Juliet Bravo » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:12 pm

Well, I've seen it and as my write up suggested its none of the things you're worried about. I hate gore for gore sake films, "Saw" and all that shit, but I think you will like this. You won't be able to sit and smile at Shearsmith looking nice - as you can see from the trailer, he doesnt. But he and Serkis elevate it to something more than your average slasher. But there's no getting round Ellison - probably quite literally with that chest, so if you simply hate her before - nothing's gonna change that. But she's not used in the way you think. She is a strong character. But I'll let you judge for yourself if you choose to eventually see it.
Juliet Bravo
Outsider

Postby Son of Tubbs returns! » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:48 pm

Is this straight to DVD material or a bit better? I mean Pathe are quite big company and they were responsible for Creep, which was a UK low budget thing, and I certainly remember seeing it in the multiplex. I think I saw it on telly the other day too, but may have imagined that! :shock:

Im quite looking forward to this even if its awful, it will be fun.
Son of Tubbs returns!
Mayor of Royston Vasey

PreviousNext

Return to Royston Vasey - Press Office