'The Cottage' - Reece is one of the leads in new film

Come here to discuss the latest official news postings and keep track of what the Gents are up to right now.

Moderators: Papa's new wife, MrsBeasley, Voodoo Lady, Tracy, papalazarou

Juliet Bravo
Outsider

Post by Juliet Bravo » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:53 pm

It opens in cinemas March 14th. And have you seen "London to Brighton"? the directors last film? It was far from awful - heralded as the best british debut of last year. Anyway - since none of you seem to care what I think - I'll sod off. :cry:

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Papa's new wife » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:00 pm

Son of Tubbs returns! wrote:Is this straight to DVD material or a bit better? I mean Pathe are quite big company and they were responsible for Creep, which was a UK low budget thing, and I certainly remember seeing it in the multiplex. I think I saw it on telly the other day too, but may have imagined that! :shock:

I'm quite looking forward to this even if its awful, it will be fun.

*laughs* Paul we saw it in the hotel room in Birmingham.

I actually like Saw. It's inventive and the tension really builds well, it did go downhill rapidly in it's sequels, and seemed to herald a return to fore of slasher gore.
Hostel and Cabin Fever - I LOATHE. I found them repugnant as well as broing.

I just don't think I'm going to enjoy The Cottage and have not had high hopes for it since the start.Yes I fany Reece and would like him to look as yummy as Lisgoe, but he could wear a bin bag over his head for an entire film/program/play and I'd still be interested, however my spider sense is tingling and telling me not to watch.
It's just me and yes a few people here have seen it and liked it.

I am not so sure though that if it was someone else playing Reece's character (and with the exact same acting level) that it would get this same praise.
"You got me confused with the other Angel. You know, the one in the dirty trenchcoat. The one who's in love with you"

Juliet Bravo
Outsider

Post by Juliet Bravo » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:12 pm

Well on the one hand you acknowledge you will watch Reece with a bin bag on his head, and then go on to question the praise from those that have seen, for the very reason that it IS Reece playing a part in it. I think the film is good, and good BECAUSE Reece is a really good actor, but not just that. Hope that's allowed.

Son of Tubbs returns!
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Son of Tubbs returns! » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:19 pm

I knew I'd seen Creep somewhere recently! Doh!

I really can't get give an opinion as I've not seen it yet, but really had it not got Reece in it, I wouldn't be aware it existed thus not having any desire to see it! However as he is in it, I'll give it a whirl! :D

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Papa's new wife » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:20 pm

Yes. That I did.
"You got me confused with the other Angel. You know, the one in the dirty trenchcoat. The one who's in love with you"

Juliet Bravo
Outsider

Post by Juliet Bravo » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:27 pm

No, not at all. But you haven't seen it - and are deciding you don't like it on your "spidey tingle". I say, see it first. then slate it, with "I told you so" posts. I liked it because for the first 45 minutes it is just great acting from the leads. THEN it turns all gory. But by then, unlike most stupid horror films - you care about the characters. Or I did.

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Papa's new wife » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:39 pm

I wouldn't do an 'I told you so'.
I wasn't looking forward to Christmas at the Riviera, and I didn't like it much at all.
I thought it was predictable and far too 'ITV' for my tastes.

Yes you've seen it, but I don't know you so I don't know your tastes.
I can say I don't particularly want to see something even if it has someone I like in it. I've posted at length about how I am worried about the new Batman film, and I'm one of the biggest Batman fans out there.

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Papa's new wife » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:28 am

I'm not going to take the bait.
I've stated my opinion that this film doesn't look very good but you seem determined to try to belittle me because of this. Well that's up to you, but I'm standing by what I've said.

I love Mark Gatiss but I didn't even watch Sense and Sensibility (apart from catching him on it for 4 seconds as I channel hopped) because it's not the sort of thing I enjoy. Now everyone can say it was amazing, and they're free to. It doesn't bother me.
Just like plenty of people enjoyed Christmas at the Riviera, and the same with TLC. They like it, good for them. I don't. Am I bovvered?

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey
Location: The Hogwarts Kitchen, helping Hermione make S.P.E.W badges

Post by Voodoo Lady » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:29 am

Oops, sorry, Katie. I deleted Juliet Bravo's comment, as it was clearly just an attempt to bait you into a fight. Didn't mean to make your post sound silly sat there alone.

:oops:

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Papa's new wife » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:38 am

*laughs* It's alright. It's quite happy there, I shall give it some chocolate money and it will be content.

Juliet Bravo
Outsider

Post by Juliet Bravo » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:40 pm

Thanks for my chocolate buttons. The problem with your argument regarding TLC and Christmas at the Blah Blah is you actually SAW them, then formulated an opinion. But I leave you with your absolute right to decide not to like something before you've seen it. That is, after all, what most professional critics do anyway.

Geoff Tipps' Joke Writer
Local Shop Owner!

Post by Geoff Tipps' Joke Writer » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:51 pm

Here's my review of 'The Cottage' on Imdb (I saw the film a couple of weeks ago at a media screening)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0465430/board/nest/95938000
Have we missed the cakes?

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Papa's new wife » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:29 pm

Juliet Bravo wrote:Thanks for my chocolate buttons. The problem with your argument regarding TLC and Christmas at the Blah Blah is you actually SAW them, then formulated an opinion. But I leave you with your absolute right to decide not to like something before you've seen it. That is, after all, what most professional critics do anyway.
The buttons were for my post so it wasn't lonely on it's own.

If you don't want to see that I am saying it doesn't look good, not it's isn't good, then that's up to you. I'm forming an opinion based on what it looks like, from reports of the film, oh yes, and the trailer, which was childish and unfunny.

And, as I clearly stated, I didn't think Christmas at the Riviera was going to be any good, from the clips and the plot. And it wasn't.
Now The Cottage may be fantastic, but yet again I am saying I don't THINK it will be.
I can't keep saying this, even if you keep missing it.

a1tiptop
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by a1tiptop » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:25 pm

Being devils advocate for a minute, I really HATED the trailer to the Gents Apocalypse film (the teaser) and was completely sure it was going to be pants. But it ended up being brilliant.

I also agree that the trailer for the Cottage is VERY silly. If you go on IMDB you'll see a few comments which agree with Kate. Not the best trailer.

But from reading the *plot* and reading interviews and hearing Debs and Juliet Bravo's opinions, I think the Cottage probably IS good.

JMHFO!
And I'll stay here till the trail's cold and return again with my meaty gold
You want it! You can't get enough of Hilary Briss and his special stuff...

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Papa's new wife » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:37 pm

a1tiptop wrote:JMHFO!
I am so rubbish at abbreviations :lol: :lol:

I'd love it to be good, I really would. It's always good to enjoy gents stuff then I can dance about and make my friends watch stuff.
And I wasn't looking forward to Learners (with Tenninch) but I actually enjoyed that a lot and so did my Mum, so I could be all smug then :lol: