'Book of Precious Things' - a NEW book from the Gents!

Come here to discuss the latest official news postings and keep track of what the Gents are up to right now.

Moderators: Papa's new wife, MrsBeasley, Voodoo Lady, Tracy, papalazarou

Postby Cheeky Chezzy Woo » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:06 pm

a1tiptop wrote:I can't believe I forgot to mention Reece Pieces, when the first thing I did when I saw it was text Kate!

But anyway, what do you think of it, Chez? I'm hoping someone enthuses about it and finds something worthy in the book that I didn't!

I haven't actually read it yet, had a flick through and it seems alright. Let me get my arse in gear and finish off my current book :)
You're the Christmas, promising the summer
Cheeky Chezzy Woo
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Re: Phoenix Cinema event on 9th Sept - tickets are now £15

Postby Tracy » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:49 pm

Geoff Tipps' Joke Writer wrote:I've been asked to pass on information regarding the ticket prices for the Phoenix Cinema event with The League of Gentlemen, taking place this Sunday, 9th September.

The price of tickets has now been reduced from £25 to £15...

The event is a fundraiser for the cinema & the proceeds from the event are towards future renovation & maintenance work.

http://www.phoenixcinema.co.uk/films/su ... 5.htmgoing

Also, Reece will also now be attending the event...so all four Gents will be there!

Reece thrown in and ticket prices reduced? Bargain! :D

Katie is going to diiiieeeee of squeeness! :lol:
ImageImageImage
Tracy
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby ratgirl » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:58 pm

Ooh, £15 is a bit more affordable... I might consider it! All depends on how rushed things are that day, I guess, as I have to take my cat over to East Finchley to stay with my old housemates while I'm on holiday. If I can get back from Kate's the night before it might work... Katie, any idea what night bus runs near your place and I'll see if it's feasible??

Otherwise I'm up for a drink in the Old White Lion (that's the pub near the tube, and by far the nicest pub in East Finchley) if anyone fancies it after the screening...
"I've been in love with the morbid, ebony-black grotesqueness of the 19th century since I was knee-high to a funeral mute."

ratgirl
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Tracy » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:40 am

ratgirl wrote:If I can get back from Kate's the night before it might work...

Ooh! You'll be at the partaay? Woohoo!!!1!!1!1 :D

Otherwise I'm up for a drink in the Old White Lion (that's the pub near the tube, and by far the nicest pub in East Finchley) if anyone fancies it after the screening...

And before too? Do they do Sunday dins? :)
ImageImageImage
Tracy
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Review on 'Book of Precious Things' from 'The Independent'

Postby Geoff Tipps' Joke Writer » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:43 am

A nice review of 'The League of Gentlemen's Book of Precious Things' from 'The Independent' :)

The Tuesday Book the league of gentlemen"s book of precious thingsBy Jeremy Dyson, Mark Gatiss, Steve Pemberton & Reece Shearsmith. Prion, £14.99

From The Independent - 04/09/2007

From Amis to "Viz": the macabre classics that inspire life in Royston Vasey

Of all the British comedy ensembles who have emerged during the past 20 years, the League of Gentlemen are the only troupe to create their own world. Their Royston Vasey is just as real as Tony Hancock"s 23 Railway Cuttings, but while Hancock inhabited a single bedsit, the League have sired an entire village. Together with Jeremy Dyson (who writes, but doesn"t perform), Mark Gatiss, Steve Pemberton and Reece Shearsmith have spawned a vast cast of grotesque characters who reveal more about provincial England than any number of naturalistic fictions.

This is a collection of the writing, in fiction and for film and TV, that has inspired them. Like all good books, The League of Gentlemen"s Book of Precious Things succeeds on several levels. Mainly, it"s illuminating for the fresh light that it sheds on their diverse influences, from Viz to EF Benson, from Monty Python to the Brothers Grimm. There"s always been a rich Gothic vein in their work, so it"s no surprise to find macabre classics here, from Edgar Allan Poe to The Exorcist and The Wicker Man.

The best parts of this book, however, are the unexpected treats. You"d almost expect to find sitcoms like Rising Damp and Porridge, and TV plays such as Mike Leigh"s Nuts In May, but novels like Philip Roth"s Portnoy"s Complaint and Martin Amis"s Dead Babies give you quite a jolt, as does the inclusion of American dramas like the Coen Brothers" Barton Fink and David Mamet"s Glengarry Glen Ross. Re-reading these eclectic classics, and hearing the echoes of the League"s own cadences, you start to see their work in a more subtle, literary light.

This book is also a great introduction to less familiar writers. I"d never heard of the "strange stories" of Robert Aickman before, but will certainly look out for him now. Like Desert Island Discs, there"s a communal, almost altruistic pleasure in sampling the favourites of artists you admire.

The most intriguing thing about this compendium is how much its four editors have in common. Each member introduces his own selection, but their choices are almost interchangeable - a fizzy, potent cocktail of schlock horror, highbrow and camp. Unlike a lot of comedy teams, the League of Gentlemen really do share a sense of humour, and a similar range of inspirations. Maybe that"s what gives them such a distinctive comic voice.
Have we missed the cakes?
Geoff Tipps' Joke Writer
Local Shop Owner!

Postby Son of Tubbs returns! » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:46 pm

What is the meeting arrangements for Sunday, if any?

Just that tonight in my last night on here until Sunday night.

Maybe someone cant text?
Son of Tubbs returns!
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Cheeky Chezzy Woo » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:50 pm

Have fun at the gents thing! Let us know how it goes and that.

Meh typical they reduce the price to £15...still can't really afford it
Cheeky Chezzy Woo
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Beast » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:56 pm

Yeps. Have fun everyone. Am so jel. :(
I've got M.E. I'm really tired!!
Beast
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Papa's new wife » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:02 pm

Son of Tubbs returns! wrote:What is the meeting arrangements for Sunday, if any?

Just that tonight in my last night on here until Sunday night.

Maybe someone cant text?

The pub we discussed at 12pm?
Unless you want to come to party (and please do, bring friend if you want)
"You got me confused with the other Angel. You know, the one in the dirty trenchcoat. The one who's in love with you"

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby MrsBeasley » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:34 am

Hope you all have a great time!

We want to here ALL about it!
"I don't know that I share your view"
MrsBeasley
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Son of Tubbs returns! » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:04 pm

Mrs B! Its was bloody brilliant!

I'll give you a quick run down of what happened and what I can remember being said.Im sure someone can give you a better run down of what was said at a later stage.

First, Jezza, Reece, Steve and the good that is MR Mark Gattis, came on stage and welcomed us

Then we saw the Christmas special, which was good to do with other people.

Then Theatre of Blood, which Ive not seen for years, and sadly dont own a copy, but had forgotton how good it was (and funny). Ebay, here I come! :lol:

Then, there was a really good Q and A session, in which our very own ICIC asked a a question which even Reece said was good about Series 3!
Plus, they may do another tour, but not in the forseeable future, the nextr thing is more likely to be another film, rather than a TV series.

Then the book signing, in which Tracy gave Steve his presents! They were all really nice and approachable and Reece smiled at me! :shock:

A brilliant day. :D
Son of Tubbs returns!
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Cheeky Chezzy Woo » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:18 pm

Aww :) What did you give Steve this time Tracy? Directions to Newcastle perchance ;)
Cheeky Chezzy Woo
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Son of Tubbs returns! » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:32 pm

I'll erm, leave Tracy to tell you what she bought Steve! :lol:
Son of Tubbs returns!
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Papa's new wife » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:45 pm

Hmmmmmm
I only had a half enjoyable experience.
unfortunately I was sat next to people who thought that they should laugh SO loudly at everything and anything, obviously thinking The Gents would think it wonderful to hear.
When in fact they came across as mongs and quite frankly I was on the verge of telling them to kindly shut up, or feel my rings breaking their fat faces.
They even decided to laugh loudly and at the wrong points during Theatre of Blood. A film they had never seen *rolls eyes* They'd probably never even heard of it before!

We were on the front row, so you'd have thought they'd have SHUT THE F**K UP during the Q&A, but no. They talked through that. I think they were lucky Reece/Mark didn't say summat, Reece got rather annoyed at one point.
If these people read this, then you should be ashamed of yourselves. You came across as childish idiots, who give fangirls like myself a bad name. Fine if you want to giggle when you're a few rows back, so The Gents can't actually SEE or HEAR you, but they could hear you.
Well done.

Now for the good points.
It was wonderful to see both The Xmas Special and Theatre of Blood on the big screen, and really good to have all the Gents together - Jez had travelled 200 miles for it.
The talk was silly, revealed some interesting points about them having sold the format to America, them wanting to do a film next rather than more TV, that they have finally (Reece stressed the FINALLY :lol: in his own grrrr way) been asked to do a Comedy Connections, that they weren't abl;e to put some of the things they wanted in the book like a book about Cold Reading (can't remember what the title was, reece was speaking and brain went ksdjfdjkgdjgdfgh)

Reece looked GOOD. VERRRRRRRY good. Good hair and he's started eating again, so nice and mmmmmmmm.
In fact they all looked good :D (Yes Mark looked verrrry good too Tara and Sarah :lol: )

I forgot my book so I had to get my ticket signed by them all, and lovely Paul had bought me some Doctor Whop playing cards and I found one with Professor Lazarus. Mark was VERY happy to sign that, he showed it to Reece and said
"This is what it's ALLLLLLL about" :lol:
I got Reece to sign summat that I'd had had in my wallet for rather a few years :oops: :oops: Thank GOD he didn't scream FREAK, he probably whispered it to Jeremy when I was wibbling *laughs*

I forgot my memory card so I had to take piccies on my phone, sorry for the shitness of them.

Jeremy looking grumpy *laughs*

Us in the pub afterwards :lol:

"You got me confused with the other Angel. You know, the one in the dirty trenchcoat. The one who's in love with you"

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Tubby Little Titwitch » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:32 pm

Ahahaa, Tracy's presents were GENIUS. He was very, very pleased and probably terrified.

It was brilliant to see the Special on a big screen, although a bit weird with the four of them sat a few rows behind. Theatre or Blood was really good too. Am looking on eBay as we speak...

The Q and A was interesting, the best question having to be, "Which of you looks best dressed as a woman?" :lol:

Signing was great and have lovely signed Book of Precious Things and Jeremy signed my copy of "What Happens Now", yay! Also, Mark obliterated the horrid apostrophe on the Fillum cover, so he is my hero now.

Then to the pub, where damage was done to the wall in the removal of a picture, hehe.

Marvellous day. But am tired now. :lol:

If I were a moth I'd smash myself against your body.
Tubby Little Titwitch
Mayor of Royston Vasey

PreviousNext

Return to Royston Vasey - Press Office