Psychoville: From the League of Gentlemen

Come here to discuss the latest official news postings and keep track of what the Gents are up to right now.

Moderators: Papa's new wife, MrsBeasley, Voodoo Lady, Tracy, papalazarou

Psychoville: From the League of Gentlemen

Postby Nugolab » Mon May 18, 2009 5:00 pm

Hi,

My name is Balogun Aubee and I work in the marketing department at the BFI. I am just contacting you in regards to an upcoming preview at the BFI.

We are delighted to present a preview of Psychoville, the eagerly anticipated new scary, funny and bloody thriller from The League Of Gentlemen actors Reece Shearsmith and Steve Pemberton. The pair are supported by an all-star cast - Dawn French, Christopher Biggins, Dame Eileen Atkins, Nicholas Le Prevost, etc - in a typically grotesque tale of sinister goings-on.

Following the screening we will welcome on-stage Reece Shearsmith, cast member Daisy Haggard and producer Justin Davies.

Wed 27 May 18:15 NFT1

http://www.bfi.org.uk/whatson/psychovil ... discussion

I thought this may be of some interest to League of Gentlemen fans. It would be great if a link could be added to your popular site. Please contact me if you have any questions.

Many Thanks
Balogun Aubee
Balogun.aubee@bfi.org.uk

**edited by mod**
Here's a pic (sent to me by Balogun)

Nugolab
Outsider

Re: Psychoville

Postby BBCPSychoville » Mon May 18, 2009 5:57 pm

The League Of Gentlemen's Reece Shearsmith and Steve Pemberton return to BBC Two with a scary, funny and bloody new thriller.

On top of that, we're extremely excited to announce the launch of the Psychoville website, with an offer you can't refuse - the chance to blackmail your friends with a devious personalised video. We won't say more than that, you'll just have to see it for yourself.

Here at the BBC we've worked really hard with the show's writers to create the online content for this scary, funny and bloody new thriller. This is just the beginning...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/psychoville

Thanks
BBCPSychoville
Outsider

Re: Psychoville: From the League of Gentlemen

Postby Papa's new wife » Mon May 18, 2009 6:20 pm

Thanks guys for the websites and the reminder of the preview :D
I'm really looking forward to Psychoville and have poked friends of mine who don't come on here that they have to watch the new series.

I am really looking forward to the personalised videos *laughs evilly*
"You got me confused with the other Angel. You know, the one in the dirty trenchcoat. The one who's in love with you"

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

BBC Psychoville

Postby BBCPSychoville » Tue May 19, 2009 10:49 am

June 2009

Coming soon: The League Of Gentlemen's Reece Shearsmith and Steve Pemberton return to BBC Two with a scary, funny and bloody new thriller.

On top of that, we're extremely excited to announce the launch of the Psychoville website, with an offer you can't refuse - the chance to blackmail your friends with a devious personalised video. We won't say more than that, you'll just have to see it for yourself.

Here at the BBC we've worked really hard with the show's writers to create the online content for this scary, funny and bloody new thriller. This is just the beginning...
BBCPSychoville
Outsider

Re: BBC Psychoville

Postby serafina pekkala » Tue May 19, 2009 11:35 am

You know when you've been viraled.

I am looking forward to this. BBC Psychoville has been at other sites too. You kinda need to be a bit more subtle when OBVIOUSLY PLUGGING ON FORUMS but nae mind. We love you. You bear good news. :lol:
serafina pekkala
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Location: Ne vous inquiétez pas, Madame. Nous ne sommes pas ici pour vous obtenir!

Re: BBC Psychoville

Postby MrsBeasley » Tue May 19, 2009 11:39 am

We don't need a thread for this in every part of the forum.

There is a thread in Press Office which is the most appropriate place for it.
The others will be locked & deleted.

Edit - Topics now merged :D
"I don't know that I share your view"
MrsBeasley
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Voodoo Lady » Tue May 19, 2009 5:03 pm

Thanks, Mrs. B.! You's a star!
"It's an ear hat, John!"

Voodoo Lady
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Location: The Hogwarts Kitchen, helping Hermione make S.P.E.W badges

Postby Robert S Hope » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:34 am

Ive read a few twitters and blogs from people that saw the BFI previews and all are "Wow - far better than expected! and "It was REALLY good?" I was wondering if anyone could tell me why the surprise? What has happened to have really big fans of one show, absolutley EXPECT their next collaberation to be "unmitigated shit" as some one else put it? I don't understand the lack of faith!! Or is it expect the worst and then you can only be pleasantly surprised. I guess fans are impossible to please because what they want from a project is wildly skewed from other peoples perceptions. They know too much. Having said that, Im a wild fan - and thought "Psychoville" was a great new comedy. It really is leaps ahead of the League. Far more sophisticated. You can tell the writers have grown up. Although it is still VERY silly in places.
Robert S Hope
Distant Relative

Postby Papa's new wife » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:31 pm

Robert S Hope wrote:"unmitigated shit"

That would be my quote.

I don't understand the lack of faith!! Or is it expect the worst and then you can only be pleasantly surprised.

I'm a pessimist and always suspect the worst. If my football team are playing bottom of the League rubbish my stomach clenches into squidgey shapes, now we shouldn't lose to them, we should beat them 10-0, but what if? What if we lose? And we have lost to rubbish before and I cry under my duvet or in the toilet.
I'd love to watch/listen/see something and have it be the best thing in the world, but I don't expect it to.
Things often turn out rubbish and suck badly.
It's my fear though, I'm not suggesting it is shit or will definitely be shit, just I'm scared it will be and I'm hoping against it won't be, but it could be.

I guess fans are impossible to please because what they want from a project is wildly skewed from other peoples perceptions. They know too much. Having said that, Im a wild fan - and thought "Psychoville" was a great new comedy. It really is leaps ahead of the League. Far more sophisticated. You can tell the writers have grown up. Although it is still VERY silly in places.

I don't think that I expect something wildly different to what people are expecting, I just want scary, funny, clever and creepy as hell and I'm guessing casual viewers are probably expecting the same. It will be billed as "From half of The league of Gentlemen" and they are known for being wonderfully dark and twisted.

If you take a look at some of the stuff that Reece and Steve have done since The League stopped writing 'Vasey', then some of it has been shit, utterly terrible. Benidorm is unwatchable, the Victorian/Edwardian thing on Channel 4 Reece did with Adam Buxton was bad and The Cottage was awful (all in my opinion, i know others really enjoyed these). Ok Reece and Steve didn't write those productions, but I did wonder why they'd taken the roles. Then again they've been in good things, I actually enjoyed Lassie and Miss Marple was good too.

I'd LOVE to have an optomistic outlook on life but sadly I don't. I guess it does mean if I'm not looking forward to summat and then I have an amazing time or really enjoy it then it makes it even better.

Hope that explains my view for you :D
"You got me confused with the other Angel. You know, the one in the dirty trenchcoat. The one who's in love with you"

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Robert S Hope » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:48 pm

Mm. Kind of. Its a mirthless outlook though. Like everyone is only going to let you down. But I see that it must be joyous when your apocalyptic view is sometimes wrong. I don't think you can hold it against them that they have taken roles you have thought were shit - since doing the League. Like somehow that actually takes away from their talent or future credibility. My curiosity about this big doubt over their new collaberation - is that it IS just that! A NEW collaberation. They are writing and starring together in a thing penned by them - like the League was , which presumably you liked. Would the commentts be the same if Jeremy and Mark were also involved in this project? Is it a snobby "yes but it won't be the same without those two" standpoint. Anyway - its interesting. And I hope ultimately you'll think they have returned with a great show. Regardless of having LoG in their past. Im not leveling all these quieries at you personally by the way - Im still musing at all the other similar comments Ive read elsewhere.
Robert S Hope
Distant Relative

Postby ratgirl » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:53 pm

Ah, for me it's the fact I've always been suspicious I prefer Mark & Jeremy's stuff to Steve & Reece's (I'm afraid I blamed the latter pair entirely for the fact season 3 put me off the Gents entirely for a long time!). Yes, it's unfair. And probably incorrect, because if I add up who wrote what in series 1 and 2, there's quite a fair balance. But, y'know, I'm with Kate - a pessimist is never disappointed!

To be honest, the main thing with me is that I didn't really care that much. I wouldn't call myself a Gents fan any more, although I possibly still have more than a passing interest in the topic. I went to the screenings to see friends more than to see the show and wouldn't have been that bothered if I had hated it. Though in the end I was glad I didn't!
"I've been in love with the morbid, ebony-black grotesqueness of the 19th century since I was knee-high to a funeral mute."

ratgirl
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Robert S Hope » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:22 pm

Don't quite know how you are so sure of who wrote what. The League of Gentlemen was the four of them. it wasn't only half good because steve and reece wrote some of it. Makes sense now that you're hardly bothered to be so dismissive either way I guess.
Robert S Hope
Distant Relative

Postby Papa's new wife » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:58 pm

Robert S Hope wrote:Mm. Kind of. Its a mirthless outlook though. Like everyone is only going to let you down. But I see that it must be joyous when your apocalyptic view is sometimes wrong.

I don't have a mirthless outlook :( I wouldn't suggest that an optimist only experienced joy, no-one is that 2 dimensional, our lives are filled with joy, anguish, bewilderment, rage and countless other emotions.

I don't think you can hold it against them that they have taken roles you have thought were shit - since doing the League. Like somehow that actually takes away from their talent or future credibility.

For example, if a band you adored so so much started producing music that you thought was rubbish, that you listened to one then never again, that made you cringe inside, wouldn't that affect your view of any future projects? I used to adore U2 until they started making crap song after boring rubbish and tedious pap. I rarely listen to them now, it's over for me because they've never got back to anything NEAR the quality of their earlier albums.
I certainly don't think everything Reece and Steve have done since the League has been terrible (I named examples in my previous post) but the fact they have have done some rubbish has coloured my judgement, I've been a fan for a good few years now so my obsession and overwhelming adoration for them has worn off, I think I have a much more reasoned view of their work now.

Would the commentts be the same if Jeremy and Mark were also involved in this project? Is it a snobby "yes but it won't be the same without those two" standpoint.

I was Reece fangirl. BIG time *laughs*
If it was a "snobby" standpoint I would have said so, there's no point in saying otherwise. Reece is still my favourite Gent and always will be so I'll favour his things more highly than I do with the other Gents, even if I do think Mark and Jeremy have produced higher quality projects since The League.
I think part of my worry about the series is also that it seems too similar to The League, like they haven't been able to move away from that style. Not that I don't wish there was more League now, but I'd prefer a clean break.
A few years ago (I think it's still in Reece's Pieces) we had a discussion about Reece being typecast and it saddened me that he was always getting Geoff type roles eg: Bobster in Max and Paddy. I always wished he'd get offered or take something different, so naturally I was and am worried that Psychoville will be too similar again and he'll be lost in 'the angry bastard/freak' role.
I don't think that makes any sense *laughs*

Don't quite know how you are so sure of who wrote what. The League of Gentlemen was the four of them. it wasn't only half good because steve and reece wrote some of it.

There's a lot of stuff about who wrote for particular characters on the commentaries, The Gents also discussed this at a few of the live things. God I haven't listened to the commentaries in AGES, I used to know them almost inside out (apart from the 1st series which sadly isn't the best).

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Viper » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:31 am

You're a far nicer person than I would ever be, PNW.
Viper
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Robert S Hope » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:20 am

I think you must be the only person that awaits a new project from them eight years later - and hopes that they have "moved on" in what they do. As far as I can tell - they are THE most rigorous people regarding their writing and their scripts - fully aware of repeating themselves or not. They have a style of humour. It is what it is. They can't inherantly change that. Its like saying Eddie Izzards stand up is always surreal - I wish he'd do it more like Lee Evans. They take a darker, creepier view of the world - and if they have done that again in "Psychoville" that isn't them having run out of ideas. Or not "moved on". Anyway. They are doomed whatever they do I guess. The lazy journalists even before seeing it will say its just a retread - and Reece has said so himself in interviews "Whatever it is - there are going to be comparisons to League" - so they can't win . Actyually then can. It can still be far and away the most inventive, clever and funny show there has been since the league of gentlemen. And from what Ive seen - it is. I didn't mean YOU have a mirthless outlook - I mean your description of how you filter and temper your hopes for new comedy shows - is a bit doom laden. And what did Viper mean by her last comment. We are just having an actually interesting chat here.
Robert S Hope
Distant Relative

Next

Return to Royston Vasey - Press Office