Psychoville: From the League of Gentlemen

Come here to discuss the latest official news postings and keep track of what the Gents are up to right now.

Moderators: Papa's new wife, MrsBeasley, Voodoo Lady, Tracy, papalazarou

Re: Psychoville: From the League of Gentlemen

Postby Viper » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:39 pm

"And what did Viper mean by her last comment."

You could just ask me.
Viper
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Robert S Hope » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:29 pm

"You could just ask me"

Ha! Its like "Let the Right One In". No - I'll pass I think.
Robert S Hope
Distant Relative

Postby Papa's new wife » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:40 pm

I'll get the dwarves and make both of you strip! :lol:
So behave!
"You got me confused with the other Angel. You know, the one in the dirty trenchcoat. The one who's in love with you"

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Viper » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:07 pm

"Ha! Its like "Let the Right One In". No - I'll pass I think"

I could have been referring to the show. Isn't that how passive aggression works? I make a snide comment that could easily be directed at you, but when you call me on it, I just say- oh no no no. That's not what I meant.

So for example, I could have an actually interesting conversation by saying some of the following:

you're hardly bothered to be so dismissive

Its a mirthless outlook though.

But I see that it must be joyous when your apocalyptic view is sometimes wrong.

which presumably you liked

Is it a snobby

But many could simply read this as me backhandedly insulting PNW. And then, of course, when someone calls me on it, I can just say:

I didn't mean YOU have a mirthless outlook

Or in other words, oh no no no. That's not what I meant at all! Etc.

Just an observation.
Viper
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby MrsBeasley » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:19 pm

*opens door*

Hello hello, whats all this shouting! We'll have no trouble here.

Now stripping dwarfs, ooooooh now that could be fun.
"I don't know that I share your view"
MrsBeasley
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Robert S Hope » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:51 pm

I thought I didn't let you in?
Robert S Hope
Distant Relative

Postby Chica » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:21 pm

If I may interject...

I was one of those who said (not on this forum, but in the proper real world) that I feared Psychoville would be unmitigated shit. The reasons are simple. 1) It has been sold as a dark and twisted world of murder, mystery and weird goings on behind closed doors (League Light). Some of the character descriptions sound like they were left-overs from League writing sessions that didn't make the cut. Having seen the preview, I can say only Reece's clown really fits that bill.

2) Face it, the stuff Steve and Reece have been in have been mostly shit. Even Reece was making fun of Benidorm! Jeremy and Mark have diversified with their writing and taken on different genres, so to see the other pairing return to extremely similar territory after all this time was a bit worrying. As I said, it sounded like League left-overs.

Oh, and I do think Eddie Izzard should progress, or at least learn that 'jam' has its limits as a punchline... Watch Ross Noble for a far better approach.

3) The blackmail plot linking characters together was an original idea for S3, so it really really REALLY sounded like left-overs!

4) The title is crap. It's like how someone would spoof League and other 'dark' comedy.

However, the good news is that having just one pair writing together has made a big difference to the structure. It all fits together and flows much more nicely than S3, it feels like a unified piece. Casting other people in roles so they don't play them all themselves has allowed them to stretch as actors and for instance the writing for the dwarf characters is wonderful.

As for you moaning that fans shouldn't have such a pessimistic view, well, bollocks to that. I don't trust the view of a fan who thinks absolutely everything a group has ever done is brilliant. That's not love, it's obsession. When someone adores their stuff with a critical eye, then that's truly worth something, because it is a carefully considered opinion and not a knee-jerk reaction.

Questions, comments?
Chica
Outsider

Postby Robert S Hope » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:10 pm

**edited By Moderator**
Robert S Hope
Distant Relative

Postby MrsBeasley » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:26 pm

Please keep all replies free of personal insults.

Also, can everyone please please think about the tone of their replies.
Its very easy (I have done it myself) to type your thoughts without re reading & posting something that reads quite harsh when it wasn't meant to be.
"I don't know that I share your view"
MrsBeasley
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Robert S Hope » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:32 pm

How do i respond to the post without getting it deleted then please. I think the response by "Chica" is "quite harsh" myself.
Robert S Hope
Distant Relative

Postby Robert S Hope » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:49 pm

Actually "Chica" it wasn't you that said it was "unmitigated s+++" . It was PNW. maybe you think alike. But I think your response is very unfair. I went through them point by point obliterating them - but the post was removed. My favourite bits were when I talked about "Clone" and BBC4 Ghost stories and "Funland" and book after book of "dark short stories" - "League Light" in response to how diverse and brilliant Jeremy and Mark have been compared to Reece and Steve. If you want my full critique, please send me a private message. It may get through - I don'tknow. The other odd thing about your response is this notion that because it was a story idea they talked about during League times - and are only doing now, it is somehow not valid. Damaged goods. Quite ridiculous. Maybe since you used it and it wasn't moderated - I could re use it here - "bollocks to that". As I say - my intial response had much more bite - but I am passionate because I think - with consideration and not blind obsession (you seem to know a lot more about where the ideas have come from than me!?) that it is a really great show. In these days of "star Stories" and "Horne and Cordon" I think its unfair to rip this ACTUAL quality piece of work apart before its even been on. And that is only my point. Im not a gibbering fan. And you are simply not a fan. But hey, you know what - its only telly innit.
Robert S Hope
Distant Relative

Postby Papa's new wife » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:20 pm

No more.
Enough is absolutely enough.
This is beyond a joke.
This thread will be locked unless people decide to stop behaving like children.
"You got me confused with the other Angel. You know, the one in the dirty trenchcoat. The one who's in love with you"

Papa's new wife
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Chica » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:31 pm

I'm afraid I have no idea what you wrote originally, but I am not easily offended.

I went to the first (and only) taping of Clone. God it was bad. We think Mark only did it so he could keep the uniform. Jeremy has done two books of short stories - one of them when the League was still active as a unit - and a novel along with writing a few other things for TV. Not all of them dark.

Anyway, I know this is - as Reece put it - their "sensibility" and that's fine. I had not seen Psychoville when I said I feared it might be shit. I was happy to be proven wrong. Recycled plots and characters from almost a decade ago are indeed damaged goods if they show absolutely no progress. If they weren't good enough for the League shows then, they're not good enough to carry an entire series now.

I honestly don't get why you are so upset about this. I think it's like my utter horror when Donna was given an entire series as the Dr Who companion, but turned out to be really quite good. Ideas on paper can seem rubbish, but it's all in the execution. Psychoville could easily have turned out to be crap, but it wasn't, so all credit to Steve and Reece. I can't wait to see the 'Rope' episode!
Chica
Outsider

Postby a1tiptop » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:23 pm

Just as a matter of interest Robert - I'm assuming you were at the recent NFT (BFI, or whatever the new-fangled name is) screeening of Psychoville? Did you ask a question at the end? If so, which one?

I'd agree with PNW on my pessimism for this new project. I've long since lost my rabid fandom of the Gents (characterised by this being my first login for months) and now regard many of the peeps on this forum as friends separate to the fandom. I had no hopes for Psychoville (not good, not bad) beyond the website teasers, which I didn't enjoy. But I loved episodes 1 and 2. Not obsessively loved - they didn't speak to me in the same way as On The Town grabbed me by the throat and wrestled me to the floor! But I loved them in a warm and snuggly way.

So now I am optimisitc for eps 3-6. Let's hope they are just as good!

(PS I am also a licker. And Katie - BOY you would have loved teh Reecicle in the panel after the viewing. Our boy was on TOP FORM!)
And I'll stay here till the trail's cold and return again with my meaty gold
You want it! You can't get enough of Hilary Briss and his special stuff...
a1tiptop
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Postby Chica » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:53 pm

[quote="a1tiptop"]

(PS I am also a licker. And Katie - BOY you would have loved teh Reecicle in the panel after the viewing. Our boy was on TOP FORM!)[/quote]

He was hysterical! I particularly loved his impression of critics in his head as he is writing new material. "Oh it's them, it's probably DAAAARK, innit?"

Oh and when someone said there was a lot of Reece in the clown character and he said "Why do you say that?!?!?" in a very high-pitched squeal. They said it was going on the website, anybody know when?
Chica
Outsider

PreviousNext

Return to Royston Vasey - Press Office