Mark's book - it's fantastic! SPOILERS!

Come here to discuss the latest official news postings and keep track of what the Gents are up to right now.

Moderators: Papa's new wife, MrsBeasley, Voodoo Lady, Tracy, papalazarou

Tracy
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Tracy » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:15 pm

Finally got my mitts on a copy of this yesterday. Will hopefully read over the weekend. Yay! :D
ImageImageImage

Lisgoe\'s Lady

Post by Lisgoe\'s Lady » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:28 pm

Got my copy this afternoon and cant stop reading! Its fantastic, witty and full of drama. generally great

Princess Profitt
Local Shop Owner!

Post by Princess Profitt » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:14 pm

Got my copy over the weekend at Waterstones in Reading-yay!
"Crunchy Nut Cornflakes are just Frosties for W*******"(Peep Show)
"I won the mums!!!"

cupid stunt
Local Shop Owner!

Post by cupid stunt » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:30 pm

Have any reviews been put online or in newspapers yet? Would be interesting to hear what "non-fans" think of the book... :-k

What kind of reviews did VC get?

a1tiptop
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by a1tiptop » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:42 am

VC did very well in reviews. I remember a good one in SFX (which I think I kept!) and another good one in the Guardian. I think the Sunday Times did an interview rather than a review as such.

I can't find any reviews of Devil online yet, and the ones on Amazon so far seem to be all by League of Gentlemen fans.
And I'll stay here till the trail's cold and return again with my meaty gold
You want it! You can't get enough of Hilary Briss and his special stuff...

ratgirl
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by ratgirl » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:46 pm

a1tiptop wrote: I'm not sure, I don't think I can judge quite yet, not having read Devil as many times as I've read VC. I think I just prefer the era that VC is set in. Don't get me wrong, I love Devil, and I do agree with a lot of what you say about VC jumping around, but at the moment I think I prefer VC.
Yeah, I agree with you on that one - I prefer the time (and hence the style) of VC. I did enjoy Devil as a read, but the whole Satanic thing really isn't my cup of tea - I was actually quite disappointed with all the mystical stuff, as I was hoping for a real guns-and-spies Buchan style story. But maybe he was going for the whole Indiana Jones idea? *beep* and mysticism! So, although I enjoyed it, and I still love Lucifer, if it hadn't been written by Mark I doubt I'd have picked the book up even in the library.

So, that link to the stuff about Lucifer's age - Mark's just admitting he's being generally vague? No specific date for when the book's set, no specific age. I still think it makes him older than perhaps Mark's intending, and that actually rankles with me a bit - like Tara, I like to be anal about these things! But hey, if in my view that actually puts him at 50ish in Devil (whatever Mark says! :P), then that's all well and good for me! ;) ;)
I was confused by the whole "his body was never found" thing actually. If he was just missing, surely in the 20 years or more since his disappearance, he would have gone back to England and found Lucifer again! After all, he hasn't moved. And I'm sure that even if Charlie walked (and swum!), in 20 years he'd have made it to Blighty!
I didn't really read it as being a chance of getting Charlie back into the next book and the like - just adding to the whole melancholy of the thing. A lot of bodies were never found during the war, and a lot of people buried in un-marked graves. It's something I've always found very tragic about war cemeteries (having done a trip round Belgium visiting them!), so I just felt Mark was going for the whole pathos thing. It would be stretching it a lot (as Tara says) for Charlie to have been missing all that time and still be alive.
Please please post thoughts! I haven't had anyone else to obsess with so far.
Your time starts here... ;)
"I've been in love with the morbid, ebony-black grotesqueness of the 19th century since I was knee-high to a funeral mute."

Cheeky Chezzy Woo
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Cheeky Chezzy Woo » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:03 pm

Being the complete retard that i am (plus the lackage of the net until recently) what is this Mark thing thats happening on Thursday. I've been offered a tickets but:
1) where is it?
2)what is it for? (I;m assuming its to do with the book which i haven't got)
3)what time?
You're the Christmas, promising the summer

cupid stunt
Local Shop Owner!

Post by cupid stunt » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:36 pm

So I've been skimming through both VC and Devil lately, and also have to say that I liked the setting and era of VC better, but have to say that I don't prefer one book over the other. They're two very different books, you know, with VC having that hot and sultry tone while Devil is colder and darker, but action-packed nonetheless (though I have to agree that some of the mystical stuff in Devil was a bit over the top, but it's not like it's meant to be realistic) so in that way they're quite opposite, and I find it a little bit difficult to compare. Now, I don't normally read the kind of literature Mark's books are pastiches of so I'm not likely to pick up many of the references and so on, but to me, both VC and Devil are two well written and entertaining novels not really meant for in-depth analysis (which, for me, is difficult to avoid after spending two years analysing stories down to how one word out of a thousand could .

And a pointless observation... one thing I noticed was how Lucifer's preferences were also quite the opposites in the books; in VC he starts off with women and ends up with a man, but in Devil he starts off with men and ends up with a woman. As I said, pointless observation. :P

And I pictured Lucifer to be in his late 40s in Devil which still would have made him quite young in VC. I'm assuming Mark planned for Lucifer to be older in VC, but when he decided to set the trilogy (that's what it will be, right?) in three different eras, he'd have to make Lucy younger so that he isn't on the verge of dying of age in the last book...

a1tiptop
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by a1tiptop » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:26 am

cupid stunt wrote:They're two very different books, you know, with VC having that hot and sultry tone while Devil is colder and darker
You know, it's interesting that on my Vesuvius Club Yahoo Group there's been some interesting debate about the whole "darker tone"/Mysticism thing. Some people definitely seem to prefer the Wheatly-influenced satanism stuff (horror?) and others wish it was all a trick and there was a more mundane explanation for it all - a ruse, like there was in VC. I think myself that there could have been a bit of both. This was very well pulled off by The Presitge after all!
And a pointless observation... one thing I noticed was how Lucifer's preferences were also quite the opposites in the books; in VC he starts off with women and ends up with a man, but in Devil he starts off with men and ends up with a woman. As I said, pointless observation. :P
NOT a pointless observation at all! I thought exactly the same thing. I was actually rather excited by the whole overt homosexualtity of the start of Devil, but then rather let down by the lack of it in the latter half. But perhaps that's just us Slash fans. To reassure you, Cupid, I've already started some fan-fic slash related to Devil....
And I pictured Lucifer to be in his late 40s in Devil which still would have made him quite young in VC. I'm assuming Mark planned for Lucifer to be older in VC, but when he decided to set the trilogy (that's what it will be, right?) in three different eras, he'd have to make Lucy younger so that he isn't on the verge of dying of age in the last book...
Well exactly! It's messed up. Lucifer would have to be 50 if he's a reasonable 20 something in VC. And he definitely isn't a teenager in VC. Let's face it, Mark's a big fat cheater!!!
And I'll stay here till the trail's cold and return again with my meaty gold
You want it! You can't get enough of Hilary Briss and his special stuff...

ratgirl
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by ratgirl » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:16 pm

Humph. Ignore my comments why don't you, Tara? :P

*sulks childishly*
"I've been in love with the morbid, ebony-black grotesqueness of the 19th century since I was knee-high to a funeral mute."

T Bird
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by T Bird » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:18 pm

I read all of this in 4 hours and loved every word of it!

I love Mark's Books. I want him to write more!
ImageImage

Cheeky Chezzy Woo
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Cheeky Chezzy Woo » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:04 pm

They really are. They have that way of capturing you and keeping you on top of what is happening. I like that
You're the Christmas, promising the summer

valdenton

Post by valdenton » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:18 am

I have the audio book of Vesuvius Club and im already on chapter 12- its amazing
I thought it was going to be some nammy-pammy Victorian type comedy/drama but its really really good.

Son of Tubbs returns!
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Son of Tubbs returns! » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:06 am

It is good. I prefer it to the book.Mark's reading of it is superb. He reads it in ver convincing victorian style.