Mark's book - it's fantastic! SPOILERS!

Come here to discuss the latest official news postings and keep track of what the Gents are up to right now.

Moderators: Papa's new wife, MrsBeasley, Voodoo Lady, Tracy, papalazarou

xcharliex

Post by xcharliex » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:13 pm

yay im rereading the book for the sixth time now its just fantastic!

T Bird
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by T Bird » Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:18 am

Bex wrote:
T Bird wrote:I got the graphic novel for Christmas but I must say that I think your pics are better Bex! They are truly amazing!! :shock:
[dies from over-flattery]

Seriously. That's one of the nicest things anyone's ever said about my work. I don't believe a word of it but Thankyou so much, darlink! :D
Well, you can believe it or not, but I think it's true. Your pics always have this slight evil undertone to them that I find irresistable! :wink:

Keep up the good work hun!
ImageImage

I am his wife now
Local Shop Owner!

Post by I am his wife now » Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:52 pm

I just brought it yesterday (well my friend did, she lent me the money) So I let her read it first! Oh STUPID me *eyetwitch* I need the markness now! *stomps like a five year old*

EDIT:

Well my freind gave it ot me at school this morning, and I havnt been able to do anything but read it! Every spere moment at school I've been trying to sneek in another paragraph. I'm about a thrid of the way through now, and what can I say that hasnt already been said twelfty times over? Its simply fantastic :D
Image Image

Sarah Chinnery
Local Shop Owner!

Post by Sarah Chinnery » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:03 pm

It is certainly the most gripping book I have ever read. I couldn't put it down & it's rare that a book does that to me anymore. :D

Not Quite Local
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Not Quite Local » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:30 pm

I got the book today!!!! Wooooooooooo!!! I've read the first five chapters, and it's absolutely brilliant!! I thought it would be fairly good, quite fun to read, but it's actually amazing and very gripping. I'm trying to read it slowly (I tend to read books too quickly), but I don't think there's much chance of that happening!! It's much better than I could've expected.

*goes off to read more*

LookAtThatCat

Post by LookAtThatCat » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:51 pm

Hoping to wake up an old thread with a bit of a tickle.....

I've voted for Mark's book after finally reading this thread (I think it took me longer than the book itself!)

Just out of interest, Mark's Wikipedia entry claims that Ian Bass is Mark's boyfriend, which has been refuted somewhere on this forum. Perhaps someone with more knowledge than me should correct them?

It also states that he went to Bretton Hall after finishing school... I know what it means, but the idea of Mark at a Finishing School made me smile.

LookAtThatCat

British Book Awards - Results

Post by LookAtThatCat » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:36 pm

http://www.britishbookawards.co.uk/bba/ ... rs.asp?#10

So The Vesuvius Club lost out to A Short History of Tractors in Ukranian - sigh.

The British Book Awards are televised on Saturday 1 April 18.00 on Channel 4 - might be worth looking out for Mark anyway....?

Geoff Tipps' Joke Writer
Local Shop Owner!

Re: British Book Awards - Results

Post by Geoff Tipps' Joke Writer » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:13 pm

LookAtThatCat wrote:http://www.britishbookawards.co.uk/bba/ ... rs.asp?#10

So The Vesuvius Club lost out to A Short History of Tractors in Ukranian - sigh.

The British Book Awards are televised on Saturday 1 April 18.00 on Channel 4 - might be worth looking out for Mark anyway....?
I've never even heard of 'A Short History of Tractors in Ukranian' (I suppose I'm just being ignorant!) but SIGH indeed :cry:

Does anyone know if Mark actually attended because there was a press launch for the new series of 'Doctor Who' in Cardiff yesterday & I know Mark was at that.
Have we missed the cakes?

xcharliex

Post by xcharliex » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:39 pm

oh mark should have won! i voted 200+ times!!!!!

a1tiptop
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by a1tiptop » Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:11 pm

You could see Mark in the audience so yes, he did attend. :)
And I'll stay here till the trail's cold and return again with my meaty gold
You want it! You can't get enough of Hilary Briss and his special stuff...

Nicki
A Local

Post by Nicki » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:14 pm

I know i´m a bit behind everyone else but i have just finished reading Marks book and thought it was fan-bloody-tastic.
Admittedly it took me a few goes to get started with it, but once i got into it i couldn´t put it down, twists & turns all the way and i never saw one of them coming. MORE MORE MORE!!
I dont know if they´d burst a villains tyres, she said they might

Its like 2 Brian Mays

cupid stunt
Local Shop Owner!

Post by cupid stunt » Mon May 22, 2006 5:45 pm

Right, so Amazon's posted the synopsis of the sequel, The Devil in Amber. Something doesn't sound right....

Pressure is mounting world-wide for the banning of the signature tipple of the fin-de-siecle: absinthe. When a Swiss millionaire announces a safe replacement, all of Europe seems instantly addicted. Nicholas Verdigris, however, has his suspicions. Who is really behind the new miracle product and what are their links to a plot to restore the Stuarts to the throne of England? On an adventure which takes Verdigris from a submarine journey to Russia to a final confrontation in the Parisian sewers, the unlikely secret agent finds his powers tested to the limit.

I hope that's just Amazon and its contributors messing stuff up. Then again, they're saying that the novel is already available. :roll:

a1tiptop
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by a1tiptop » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:23 pm

How queer! Okay, if you ignore the whole Nicholas Verdigris thing (relation of him on Vesuvius Club perhaps?) then the whole Parisian sewers thing seems a tad Third Man to me! And I thought the story started in New York/America...

*confused*
And I'll stay here till the trail's cold and return again with my meaty gold
You want it! You can't get enough of Hilary Briss and his special stuff...

ratgirl
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by ratgirl » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:03 pm

Then again, Amazon did the same thing with Vesuvius Club, didn't they? Their original synopsis (no idea if they ever changed it) bore little relation to the actual book!
"I've been in love with the morbid, ebony-black grotesqueness of the 19th century since I was knee-high to a funeral mute."

cupid stunt
Local Shop Owner!

Post by cupid stunt » Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:34 pm

Ah, this sounds a bit more correct... :)
Lucifer Box - the gorgeous butterfly of King Bertie's reign, portraitist, dandy and terribly good secret agent - is feeling his age. Assigned to observe the activities of fascist leader Olympus Mons and his fanatical Amber Shirts in a snow-bound 1920s New York, Box finds himself framed for a vicious murder. Using all his native cunning, Box escapes aboard a vessel bound for England armed only with a Broadway midget's suitcase and a string of unanswered questions. What lies hidden in the bleak Norfolk convent of St Bede? What is 'the lamb' that Olympus Mons searches for in his bid for world domination? And what has all this to do with a medieval prayer intended to summon the Devil himself? From the glittering sophistication of Art Deco Manhattan to the eerie Norfolk coast and the snow-capped peaks of Switzerland The Devil in Amber takes us on a thrilling ride that pits Lucifer Box against the most lethal adversary of his career : the Prince of Darkness himself.