Dead Set - Charlie Brooker horror series

A place for discussing all of your other humour related interests.

Moderators: Papa's new wife, MrsBeasley, Voodoo Lady, Tracy

a1tiptop
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by a1tiptop » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:19 pm

I both both liked it and didn't like it. I loved the bleakness, the gore, the horror and the depressing ending. But it was a triumph of style over substance. Great writing, characters and special effects but what was it actually trying to *say*? I didn't quite get it in terms of plot. It just made me feel at bit "what was the point in that" at the end. Can someone explain to me what the point was?
And I'll stay here till the trail's cold and return again with my meaty gold
You want it! You can't get enough of Hilary Briss and his special stuff...

Cheeky Chezzy Woo
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Cheeky Chezzy Woo » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:16 pm

Me and Emma (the lady you thought was awesome for liking sing along...?!) were disappointed by the ending. I thought there was going to be a bit of a twist and she was going to fight her way through the zombies and be the only one alive. I did however like her staring at the camera though
You're the Christmas, promising the summer

alex
Outsider

Dead Set

Post by alex » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:49 pm

I found it all too familiar i'm afraid. Done well - if all a bit choppy with the endless restless camera syndrome - but ultimately haven't we seen this a thousand times, just minus Davina and the less than attractive prospect of made - up "Big Brother "contestants? Brooker is a loather of reality TV, but this only added more airtime to it than damn it. Gervais had more to "say" (if that is indeed the point of making TV programmes - I don't know, is it? )about BB in his Christmas Special of "Extras".

a1tiptop
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by a1tiptop » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:26 am

I pretty much agree with what alex says there. It felt like Charlie Brooker didn't really have anything to *say* about Zombies and the genre, whereas Gervais DID.

And yeah, Chez, it left me pretty hollow (and yay for Dr Horrible's Sing Along Blog fans!)

TucBiscuit
Distant Relative

Post by TucBiscuit » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:43 am

I don't have a tv, so watched it all on catch-up yesterday.

I love Big Brother, love zombies and I read Heat magazine (and I don't mind admitting it) so for me it was a pure delight. I thought it was a great twist on the standard zombie format. It used the claustrophobia of the house to great effect, and the idea that the one place in the country with zero privacy actually became a safe haven.

Davina was great! I'm sure it was direction rather than her choice, but she was so mindlessly relentless it was quite terrifying. The last zombies you want to be around are media zombies, right? They're so tenacious. Being a BB fan added another dimension - spotting all the old housemates at the beginning, and, "It's only Brian!"

And I had no idea Andy Nyman was an actor! I know he had a tiny cameo in series 3, but I thought that was because he was a friend of Jeremy's. I only know him through his work with Derren Brown. It was a revealation, blimey he was good! I had to look away during the entrails scene though- too much, too much.

I knew how it would end when they realised it was actually worse in France. Once it's gone global it's hard to work out who could possibly rescue you. The gates wouldn't have held up to the zombies for long enough anyway, even without the cabin fever/ betrayal of the housemates.

I'm not sure that horror screened over Halloween needs to say anything new. Put it in a quintessentially British setting, miles away (in tone) from Shaun of the Dead, give it a topping of black humour and you have an original piece. Although if you really wanted to reach for a meaning, you could argue that it shows the ultimate aim of celebrity culture is to devour those we set up to watch :lol:

a1tiptop
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by a1tiptop » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:20 pm

TucBiscuit wrote:Although if you really wanted to reach for a meaning, you could argue that it shows the ultimate aim of celebrity culture is to devour those we set up to watch :lol:
He he he. Nice.

Although I must say that watching it all as one show rather than lots of little half hours probably gives the piece more impact? They just should have done that in the first place.

TucBiscuit
Distant Relative

Post by TucBiscuit » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:19 pm

The episodic format was probably meant for "normal" people who 1) have televisions and other things to watch and 2) have lives :) Also, there were less opportunities for adverts in a one-off (and none at all on catch up!) But I really appreciated the impact, yes.

Laura Folds Five
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Laura Folds Five » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:36 pm

Wow, nice post, TucBiscuit!

The end did leave me a tiny bit let down, as I too was expecting Brooker to say something new or provide some unexpected twist. But that's my problem, not his. It was fine (fantastic even) without one.

I actually half wanted her to axe her own head off in the diary room at the very end, realising it was all pointless.

a1tiptop
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by a1tiptop » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:19 pm

Laura Folds Five wrote: I actually half wanted her to axe her own head off in the diary room at the very end, realising it was all pointless.
I would have been happy with that! :D

Beast
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Beast » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:37 pm

Am just in the middle of watching this online. Loving it! Have to say though that I am finding it quite hard to take Kevin as a serious actor in it. Not that he isn't good, just that it feels weird to me. The guy who plays Marky looks really familiar. Was he is some kids thing when he was younger? And I love the actress playing the woman who came to the garage. Wasn't she in The Last Train (I think it was called)? I loved that too!
I've got M.E. I'm really tired!!

a1tiptop
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by a1tiptop » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:10 pm

Ooo, I loved The Last Train too! I wonder if she was in that?

Also, I totally know what you mean about Kevin Eldon.

Son of Tubbs returns!
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Son of Tubbs returns! » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:11 pm

The Last Train was brilliant! I'm holding out for a DVD release!

Beast
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Beast » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:18 pm

Just finished watching and wow, I loved it! It doesn't really have to say anything. It's entertainment (for Halloween) but with the added dimension of a satire on reality tv. I think it was missing nothing.

I love happy endings but I find that I love bleak ones too as in my favourite novel 1984. It affects you so much more. It didn't add up to me though that the zombies were attracted to the BB House. Why would they be? Although I'm guessing this was a comment on how everyone loves reality tv and everyone wants to be in the BB house/famous. (Generalising obviously.)

When Last Train woman got bit on the arm why didn't they just chop her arm off since I'm assuming it worked like a disease and got in the blood to kill you like other zombie things I've seen. They had an axe! I suppose she would die from loss of blood but if it was me I think maybe I would have tried it rather than give in to death. You'd have to be so brave though! Eek! Patrick's death was a bit ridiculous. Everyone else died almost instantly but he's still alive and talking while he's being torn apart!? Funny though. Abusing them as they ate him!

If it was me I would have stayed in the safe house and BB house respectively. If that many people had been turned ie almost everyone, surely soon the zombies would have nothing left to eat and die, if they can die from starvation. In the houses they had food etc. Sit it out. You have no other choice really cos you have no chance trying to escape and anyway where is there to go?

Anyways, I loved it! :D

Beast
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Beast » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:52 pm

But why would they hear them, especially from so far away as behind the gates? They all flocked to the gates. More and more kept coming. Unless the big screen was still on and projecting sound out. The people at the eviction were mostly inside the compound already - the ones he was picking off with the shotgun.

She wasn't in The Last Train. She was in Bad Girls! Slightly different. :lol:

Cheeky Chezzy Woo
Mayor of Royston Vasey

Post by Cheeky Chezzy Woo » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:26 pm

Thanks for that hun. He did make a good point. I prefer slow walking zombies, more scary like that
You're the Christmas, promising the summer